Does anyone else find it excepionally challenging to hit 3 footswitches/pedals almost simultaneously (sp?) whengoing into/ out of a solo? Say for example I am playing a clean part, then I have to go into a solo, I have to hit the channel selector footswitch, the reverb footswitch and the booster overdrive. Also, if I had chorus on during the clean part, I would have to hit that too.

How do you deal with ths problem?
Get a band member to help maybe?
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.
or maybe put them in one big line and put your whole foot across them
Quote by yawn
Wikipedia articles are my inspiration.

www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Custom Strat
Roland Cube 30 (soon upgrading to Peavy Valveking 112)
Danelectro FAB Metal
Marshall VT-1

RIP Chris Benoit
What I did once was blue tack a remote control to touch both pedals I wanted on at the same time.
I pushed down the remote (stretching between the 2 pedals) and it switched them both on.

What I'm trying to say is, there's ways to stick things onto the pedals in order to have more than 1 on when you press once.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Build a simple looper pedal. Put all the pedals you use to solo in one loop, and then step on a switch to activate and deactivate that looper.

Or have somebody build one for you.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
TheGigRig to the rescue! It can select the pedals you need and change the channel on your amp, all at the same time with one preset footswitch. Probably not worth the £500 - £700 though.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Or have somebody build one for you.
Wink wink, nudge nudge. Eh? Lol.
These go to eleven...
If you get a multi-fx unit then you can usually set it up to change more than one effect at once. My GNX3 can play up to 9 effects at once and with one hit of a pedal I can take it to a completely different bank with up to 9 effects again. Of course, there are other cheaper ways to do it.
I'd rather tap dance while it sounds good than step on one pedal and have it sound like arse.
These go to eleven...
No, I don't have a multi-fx unit. I guess I'll find some way to press them all at once. Oh yeah, and that_pink_queen, I not going to start building pedals yet, but mayb next year for gcse or something.

I just one an ehx nano clone on ebay! YEAH! I just had to say that.

YEAH!
thats why u see guys with those pre-built pedalboards with lots of switches that toggle their presets, and it dynamically changes the loops

bit expensive though, just stick a piece of wood across all 3 :P
Easy enough to solder a simple control unit that'll switch whatever pedals on at the same time. Besides, it's not like anyone will notice if your effects kick in in a small interval of time instead of all at once.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Ok, this isn't related, but I just have to ask; what the heck does (sp?) mean?!?!?!? I've been confused by it forever!
It's when somebody types something and isn't sure of its spelling. He's just acknowledging that he might have spelled it incorrectly.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Get a Boss PSM-5 or a LS-2 the PSM-5 goes for about $30 at the cheapest on Ebay and the LS-2 is around $60 on Ebay
What I do is just put them in order from first tp last that they need to be pressed, and then press them quickly so it's not noticeable.

Or you can do what everyone else said, too.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Become jake the peg, and glue a wooden peg-leg onto your penis.

You'll laugh at those n00bs with their pedalboards, when you've got your extra leg to help you switch them.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Another thing to do is put them close to each other and just press down on multiple ones, I use my PSM-5 to turn on my Memory Man, Small Stone, and CS-9 chorus for my special sound and I put it right next to my DS-1 so I just press on both of them at once and it works out fine.
Activate/Deactivate in stages...

If you're going from clean with chorus to overdrive with reverb (example)...then cut the chorus off first, switch channels, and then activate the reverb (if you really need it). In a live context in the middle of a show, you'd be surprised with what you can actually get away with in terms of sound effects and what you can really do without (reverb for example).
Quote by C_Turton
If you get a multi-fx unit then you can usually set it up to change more than one effect at once. My GNX3 can play up to 9 effects at once and with one hit of a pedal I can take it to a completely different bank with up to 9 effects again. Of course, there are other cheaper ways to do it.

+1, a GT-8, GNX3K or PODxtLive allow you to change anything you can think of (volume & EQ settings, noise-gate, effects parameters, engaging or disengaging effects, etc...) with just one stomp. People will tell you they sound like crap but with the newer units like the ones I mentioned this is simply not the case. The effects quality of a GT-8 or PODXTL are fantastic, provided that it's being run through a good amp and is set up correctly. I ditched most of my pedals for a PODXTL a couple of years ago and have never been happier with the flexibility and the sound quality. Plus, if there are particular pedals that you love or are integral to your sound, there's no reason you can't keep using them in conjunction with the multi-FX unit.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 8, 2007,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
three words MIDI switching system.

Do you know of any reasonably-priced ones? I know about the Bradshaw switchers but those are crazy-expensive. Plus, do they work with non-midi enabled pedals?
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by TMAW
or maybe put them in one big line and put your whole foot across them

actually, that's how i do it

and for some real rapid switching:

buy 1 A/B-Y box and 1 AB-box. Put the Y in front of your pedals (or wherever you want it) and the AB at the end of your pedals. This will make your signals split in two. 1st line out of the Y box goes through your effects and then in the AB box and the second signal-path goes straight to the AB box. Then when you have a lot of effects on, and you want to go from all of this to a clean signal very fast, just step on the AB box at the end and you'll get the clean signal just by pressing 1 footswitch. Then, while you are playing the clean part, take your time to switch off all the effects you don't need, so you can do this trick again for another part in the song that needs effects. This is also a great way to go from straight clean, to a lot of effects by just pressing 1 button

yeah, I thought about it for a very long time

- J.
It took me two years to find that I've wasted five years of my life

Proud Laney VH100R owner!
Last edited by Let It Burn... at Jan 8, 2007,
i usually either get one of my bandmates to do it [which can be hard to time] or i put the pedals next to each other and turn my foot sideways to slam on them both at the same time...heh except once i did this while switching my EQ off and my foot slipped and hit the mids way up 0_0
Quote by Inahrima

Kirk: you know what would be hardcore?
James: what?
Kirk: metallica nail polish!
James:

Quote by grimreaper65

'Scuse me, i'm going to go listen to some black metal bands sing about black people. Then some grindcore about coffee.
Quote by fatgraymatt
Do you know of any reasonably-priced ones? I know about the Bradshaw switchers but those are crazy-expensive. Plus, do they work with non-midi enabled pedals?

you dont need MIDI pedals, the switching sytem itself is MIDI so you can run it with a synth, computer or sequencer. but the actual signal chain is still analog audio, you just keep all of your pedals on and it routes the signal into the pedals you have lined up for a certain preset. There are some cheaper ones than the bradshaw systems, but they are still kind of pricey.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Your best bet would be to get something like this if you're having too much difficulty switching your effects with your current setup. This would place on/off stomp switches closer together so that you may turn on two effects even if the boxes themselves are 3 feet apart. A MIDI switching system is simply not cost effective unless you are touring or you have 30 stomp boxes (still, Mike Einziger makes due without MIDI switching). And with the true bypass strip, you can build it yourself.