I didn't know where to put this thread so I put it here. I am going to be auditioning for this guitar college called Guitar-X and I need some help. I am good enough as far as techniques go I can tap, alternate pick, tremlo pick, sweep pick, do pinch harmonics etc... But I am a metal player and thats what I know how to play best. They ask you to play your favourite piece of music which is fine but I will be really stuck if they ask me to play a variety so can anyone recomend maybe some blues or maybe classical songs to learn, also at guitar colleges do you need to know tons of theory as I only have a basic (very basic) knowledge of theory and I am more likely to know what a chord sounds like than the name of it.

I know its alot of questions but anyone could help I would appricate it.
they should have criteria for you audition, and usually they'll list and ask you to play them a variety of basic theory like a few common scales and stuff. THe more you know the better, but they usually have a auditioning criteria so you know what they are looking for in their students.

good luck,
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
What kind of scales do you reckon? Pentatonics, Major and minor, harmonic minor? Because that's about all I know as far as scales go I know alot of chords but not so many scales and I haven't got a clue what a mode is. All the lessons on this site for modes and such are like japnese to me. I am a realy noob as far as theory and terminology goes I spent my two years of guitar playing learning how to play songs, write and developing a playing style and techniques. I didn't spend two years reading books so I am afraid that will affect my legibility.

On their site it says I will be assesed on Aural, technique, reading, etc...
Also I can only read tab hence the fact I am on this site.
Last edited by MA 4 ever at Jan 8, 2007,
Quote by MA 4 ever
What kind of scales do you reckon? Pentatonics, Major and minor, harmonic minor? Because that's about all I know as far as scales go I know alot of chords but not so many scales and I haven't got a clue what a mode is. All the lessons on this site for modes and such are like japnese to me. I am a realy noob as far as theory and terminology goes I spent my two years of guitar playing learning how to play songs, write and developing a playing style and techniques. I didn't spend two years reading books so I am afraid that will affect my legibility.

On their site it says I will be assesed on Aural, technique, reading, etc...
Also I can only read tab hence the fact I am on this site.

First piece of advice is: learn to read sheet music at least a little. It's a lot better that you can at least figure out some little melody part from sheets than that you're just astounded by the fact that such a thing exists.

Secondly, they very well might be asking about modes so you might wanna check the thing out properly so that you're up to knowing what to play in case they tell you to play a F mixolydian scale for example. In my opinion this site has it pretty well covered and in language that you should be able to understand (hopefully ):

http://www.outsideshore.com/primer/primer/ms-primer-4-2.html

Also, they might be asking you to identify harmony as in intervals (the schools around here do at least) so you might want to look into that a bit if you haven't come across it yet (you know, "that's a perfect fifth" kinda thing). It's good to know chords too in the same way but you said you do so I guess you're off well.

And whatever you play, don't play Für Elise.
yes do a veriety of music, though read the criteria in the audition that they should give you before hand. It will likely show you what type of skills you should show, and you should choose your pieces accordingly. Also guitar pro might be right up your alley if you want to learn scales and stuff, worked for me dunno if it works for many other people (many ways of getting it free...illegal, but free. Not telling at risk of being banned *cough*)

pepsi