i was wondering what the purpose was for the extra string on a 7 string guitar?? :S
Quote by srq89
yeah easily, I took on one of my uncles who's suppose to be the strongest in the family and has the hottest wife. Tamed him like my bitch and then wacked off afterward thinking about his wife.

All in all, a very productive day.
Think having a guitar tuned to B without sacrificing the high notes. Plus more room for bassy runs, wider sweeps, etc.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
7 string guitar is wid a lower B below low E.......sum use it as a base string......
or they see the possibility for detuned riffing while preserving the full upper range of the guitar for solos...
Korn use it because they're too lazy to tune their guitars down. (They probably don't know how.)

Other bands use it to get low range for rhythm and regular highs for the solos.
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
I think Meshuggah uses and 8 string guitar... God knows thats something to see on stage..

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Many jazz artists use 7-strings, too. It's not like they're made just for metal music.
Correct. Actually the 7-string was designed primarily for jazz oriented stuff.
Quote by rg_metal
I think Meshuggah uses and 8 string guitar... God knows thats something to see on stage..

Yeah they use custom-made Nevborn and Ibanez.
i used to really like 7 string guitars...but really, i dont see the point in them these days...6 is enough.
Greater sonic range. Both for low end chunk riffin' and longer runs/sweeps.
Quest for "the tone": pending.
to that guy who said Korn are lazy, that may be the case but come one if you cul dhave both Drop D and standard in one guitar, it'd make life and playing a hell of a lot easier and funner.
Quote by life 4 a life
what is it for? HEAVY METAL bro.

Not always.....Searching by Joe Satriani is played on seven string and its a real cool easy going song.....the extra string is just another option for creation
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Not always.....Searching by Joe Satriani is played on seven string and its a real cool easy going song.....the extra string is just another option for creation

Seconded.

Also Vai with a seven stringer!