hi i'm thinking about buying my first effects pedal

i don't know what to buy. i know some people would say distortion or something, but i don't want that - can do it on the amp, and i'm not planning on gigging

me and my mate want to start messing around trying to come up with some electro-rock stuff and i dont know what sort of effects i want - just some cool funky sounding ones

i don't want to spend much about £50 i'd consider second hand stuff though

but basically i want to get something ok that is cheap as there are a lot of pedals for £30-£60 but i don't know whats good and whats not!!

any help would be appreciated

shell
Live and let die
my first pedal was a crybaby wah. just because i wanted to play some satriani songs lol
i bought it for 120on ebay, still think its a bargain.

wah's a really fun pedal to play around with, gives you much more to think about while playing (for me, such as when should i turn it on and off etc)

well~thats my advice a wah pedal!
If you're really not sure on what you want, you should get a basic multi-effects pedal that has all the possible effects. Then, you can play around with that and find out what effects you like the most. Then in the future you'll be able to buy separate analog effects according to your taste.
I had a Zoom 505II for about a year, and through that I figured out how much I love chorus and wah-wah.
Digitech make pretty decent, cheap multi-effects units, check out the RP series.

*EDIT*
You should get a multi-effects unit with a built-in expression pedal, then you'll also have wah-wah in there. Again, this should just be a TEMPORARY pedal, just to find out exactly what sound you're looking for.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
maybe a flanger or phase pedal? that'd give you a good sound.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
well i think i might get a multi effects pedal

is the only thing a built in expression pedal does is the wah? to be fair i dont think i'm too bothered about that, i want more funky 'fake' sounds

but lol its not going to be a temporary pedal, it'll b one i use for many years. as i said i don't want it for gigs, and i've done many years without one and i'm not someone that spends much on guitars, so thats why i want to make sure i get one thats cheap but good an last yrs (just like my 2 guitars)

thanks
Live and let die
The expression pedal can do lots of things, but if you're looking for "funky" sounds then wah is the best way to go.
And about lasting you for years: Multi-effect processors are digital. After you've been playing for a while you'll develop a sense of what sounds good and what doesn't, and you'll understand that nothing beats analog effects. But in my opinion a good multi-effects pedal is definitely the right way to go for a beginner who isn't sure what and what he doesn't want from his guitar.

As I said, check out the Digitech RP pedals. They might be the answer to everything you're looking for. There's also a nice one from Korg called "ToneWorks," check it out.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Last edited by Pleiadian at Jan 8, 2007,
hi thanks for your help i think at the moment the best ones i found are

Behringer X V-AMP (£54)
RP200 A (on sale at £86)

the RP has more effects but dont really know if its much better than the V-AMP hmm

i'm not bothered about the artist presets

the one thing i notice is the V-AMP only says 'auto-wah'

hmmmm
Live and let die
There's an effect specifically called auto-wah, I'm sure that unit has regular wah as well.
If I were you I'd find a place where I could try both pedals out, sometimes relying solely on reviews isn't so smart. But, if you have no choice, just get the best multi-effects unit you can afford, based on reviews.
Oh and you should check eBay, usually prices there are much lower than the prices in stores, and you might even be able to find a used one for a bargain.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Quote by shell145
i want - just some cool funky sounding ones

i don't want to spend much about £50 i'd consider second hand stuff though

Definitely check eBay! I'm hoping to get my Electric Mistress delivered today. Got for about half the price of new (don't usually do that good!).

Electro-Harmonix makes some cool, funky pedals. You could afford a new Doctor Q, or maybe an eBay Q-tron. They're very cool little auto-wah's. Lot's of fun!

You can go to the E-H site: http://www.ehx.com/ehx2/default.asp?q=f&f=%2FCatalog

... and from there you can click on the different pedals, and listen to some sound clips of each. Get a better idea of what you might want.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/korg-ax5-g/70520

Perhaps? It's not the best sounding thing ever but it has a lot of strong effects.

Edit: I have used it myself also. I'd recommend it, probably the best value for money, but don't expect it to sound like a high-end analog pedal. But then again none of the ones you're considering will sound particularly sweet.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Last edited by MrCarrot at Jan 8, 2007,
hey MrCarrot dude, i was looking at that one but it doesnt seem to have drum machine an the other specs seem the same as the 2 i pointed out that do?
Live and let die