Page 1 of 6
In our early/mid teens, I'm sure quite a few people on here saw themselves as being 'goth' before their tastes evolved and discovered emotions, myself included. But it isn't until the dying days of my youth that I realise what a hilarious subculture that Goth has become.

See, Goth began in the UK in the 1970s with bands such as Bauhaus, The Cure and Souxie and the Banshees, and it embraced Victorian fashions with a dark twist, and use of black and white makeup. Monotone is the main colour scheme, but purples, reds and greens occasionally crop up. It's just unfortunate that it had to evolve into the monstrosity that it is in the 21st century.

Nowerdays, the only 'true' Goths left are 40 year olds who live in their basement listening to their old 45 Grave records wishing it were the 80s again. The 'goth's of today tend to listen to EBM and Industrial music, wear silly falls in their hair and fishnets. They also shave off their eyebrows and in combination with their white foundation makeup, this makes them look a bit like baby seals. An example is shown below:

^ baby seals

^'cybergoth'

Also, a vast majority of 'Nu-Goths' and house-trained baby seals listen to death metal and wear rediculous makeup, also known as 'corpsepaint'. An example of this is Immortal:

Many younger 'Goths' like to shop at hot topic, but this chain of stores is mostly shunned by the 'elitist' clique, and instead they tend to favour independant online chains. However, no matter where they buy their clothes from, they all end up looking the same anyway.

And what is the message of this thread, you ask?

Well, one thing is to remind everyone on here that they probably had very bad music taste just not so long ago, and to educate today's youth of what real Goth is. Keep your eyebrows, kids, or your frontal lobe will freeze and you will become a cybergoth.
Immortal is not death metal or goth.

And originally goth was a genre of literature, well before the 1970s.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jan 8, 2007,
uhgg, i hate goths
head and founder of the cave dweller association

i have 100§ to my name
Actually, originally the Goths were a group of Germans.
Quote by thewho65
What if I want my c*ck to smell like an egg roll?

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Gemini

I know the history and such, with the Gothic literature (Edgar Allen Poe, anyone?) and the German influences. I just wanted to condense it so it starts when the music scene started.
Quote by Gemini

Well, yeah. And then it was a style of architecture, but oh well...
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I'd shag the one on the left

Goths, or Goffs (whatever is good for you) are bloody hillarious if you ask me.+

VERY FAST EDIT: No I wouldn't.
Terms and Conditions apply.
wasnt goth a style of architecture in the middle ages or something.
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
I vote you for Australian of the Year.

Quote by Dunjma
lol yea chuck the sicky! what an aussie tradition angels fighter i too vote u for aussie of the year

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I call bullsh*t. White people don't get sacked.

Visit my friends Site
Quote by Gemini

I don't know why, but when you said that, I pictured you as Alice Cooper and myself as Wayne with my trusty friend Garth beside me, immeadiatly before I say "Man, does this guy know how to party!!"
Quote by cagnius
I'd shag the one on the left

Goths, or Goffs (whatever is good for you) are bloody hillarious if you ask me.+

VERY FAST EDIT: No I wouldn't.

id like to shoot the one on the left... and right
Quote by DimeRazorback
id like to shoot the one on the left... and right

Surely clubbing is more appropriate? (As an animal rights activist I can't believe I said that... ) But yeah.
Quote by No Seatbelt
I'd totally shag the one on the left. I mean the chicks , of course.

u gotta be shittin me, those chicks look like vampire lesbians
when i saw those chicks i immediatly got a soft-on
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
I vote you for Australian of the Year.

Quote by Dunjma
lol yea chuck the sicky! what an aussie tradition angels fighter i too vote u for aussie of the year

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I call bullsh*t. White people don't get sacked.

Visit my friends Site
Quote by Aidy Damage
I know the history and such, with the Gothic literature (Edgar Allen Poe, anyone?) and the German influences. I just wanted to condense it so it starts when the music scene started.

I think he may have been talking about Visigoths and such
Originally posted by fuzzybunny
I hereby dub you the UG's new God of Love. Really. That was brilliant.

heh.
Originally posted by someone i can't remember
the one called lukef speaks the truth.
i hate goths. i know this girl whos goth. well, she thinks she is. no wait, i dont know anything, cause im like everybody else and no one really knows her true self!
Quote by Mathamology
I don't know why, but when you said that, I pictured you as Alice Cooper and myself as Wayne with my trusty friend Garth beside me, immeadiatly before I say "Man, does this guy know how to party!!"

I love you.
Quote by thewho65
What if I want my c*ck to smell like an egg roll?

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
My cousin went through a goth phase when I was like 6 or 7. For some reason I could never take her seriously.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
dropping of standards doesn't make someone hardcore
i can't find my dining sock
ROFL.

I have to agree though, 80s Goth was BRILLIANT. Then it all went downhill.....
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
I can't believe Goth went from this to this
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
I knew someone who went to my school before the summer he was a proper geek and was really wimpy and shy, then after the summer he came back with face paint and all thsi goth stuff, but he got an eye infection because he didnt wash his makeup off, anyway the transformation was funny.
I love 70's and 80's goth music actually.
Some of it sounds like stripped down meaner punk, = good to me.
And siouxsie's awesome.
The fashion now...no....They looked the same as rockstars in the 80's to me..
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by DimeRazorback
u gotta be shittin me, those chicks look like vampire lesbians

eeexxacccttllyyy
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If your vegetarian girl harasses you about eating meat, snap back with, "Eating more entirely defenseless plants that provide us with oxygen?"

That'll shut that bitch up faster than two black eyes.

Right, you're all idiots. Yes, people who follow or are part of a scene have a tendency to be slightly odd, but that applies equally to punk, emo, mods and rockers as goth. Generally when someone sets out to be goth it's a bit sad, but I wear black because I like the style, listen to metal because I like the sound, and I have a great love of "gothic" styles in general - IE dark melodrama, whether it's in a Mervyn Peake or Neil Gaiman novel, or in a Cradle of Filth or Children of Bodom song, or in a painting, a tee, a film, a videogame, whatever.

And why is a trend acceptable when it's new but not any more. A Siouxie Soux or Alice Cooper "goth" is no better than a Trivium or Evanescence one. It's just a trend, which you can choose to follow or not. A lot of goths, I find, are quite intelligent due to their tendency to read, to listen to music that isn't merely facile, etc, but among goths there are geniuses and arseholes, legends and twats, and the same is true of ....emos, punks, skaters, indie kids, scene kids, moshers (large overlap with goth), neds, chavs, any little clique you want to bring into things.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Immortal =/= Death Metal

Immortal = Black Metal

Death Metal/Black Metal =/= Goth

Death Metal > You

Black Metal isn't listenable enough for me yet
As far as I know, no one criticized following trends, but simply the look of those two girls and the fact that Goth went downhill since its golden days.

A Siouxsie Sioux "goth" is better than a Trivium or Evanescence one because neither Trivium or Evanescence are goth. At least the Siouxsie fan knows what he's talking about.
^ *sigh* Elitism is a symptom of early onset stupidity, see a doctor.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

Squigglymetal!
The only goths that really piss me off are the ones that insist that they actually are vampires despite the fact they are in the middle of a town centre in broad daylight...

Idiots...
Let them be, and get on with your own life. But as others have said this thread isnt taking the piss its merely observing how goth has changed.
No ...because your post made sense, made a point, and stated valid opinions without trying to state opinion as fact
Quote by adamrandall

Squigglymetal!
Quote by TheUnholy
No ...because your post made sense, made a point, and stated valid opinions without trying to state opinion as fact

Ok

edit: ^ You found my house!