Alrite guys,

Just purchased a Laney VH100r head, playing through a Marshall AVT412 cab. Although I'm pleased with the head generally, esp. the clean channel, i'm a bit dissapointed with the drive channel, especially as I was told it has a great death metal sound with the extra drive switch.

Even at the highest gain + drive boost turned on, I cant seem to get any high gain sounds, its more like a 'vintage british crunch' especially at higher volumes.

The output tubes are el34's.

I play tech stuff like Ion Dissonance, Into The Moat as well as stuff like Isis, Pelcian, Cult of Luna. The later I think I could get away with - but I need a higher gain sound - more like the Peavey 5150 or mesa boogie for the type of music I play.

Do you think their might be a problem with the tubes or the amp - or was this to be expected and am I better doing what opeth do and using pedals for the distortion / overdrive

Any help would be welcomed, cheers.
P.S. i play an ibanez rg170dx not thta this should make a huge difference to the amp's tone.
You can try some high gain preamp tubes.....

Maybe E-34Ls for a little more low end...

I don't know if the amp can accept 6L6s.

If you're not getting enough gain, get an overdrive pedal. For your needs, a Fulltone OCD seems like it would fit the bill.

What kind of guitar are you using?

You beat me to the guitar

Higher output pups on the guitar would help quite a bit too. They help to mold the tone of the amp a bit.

To be honest, I don't think the AVT cab was too good of a choice, but that's just me.
My guitar is in the post above. The heads fitted with el34's - it came with them

Im just confused because paul gilbert uses the amp....and a good selection of other artists with a really high gain sound. Could there be a problem with the amp at all?
Nonono, it's not a problem with the amp. First off, Gilbert uses GH100L, not the VHR - and GH does have more gain than the VHR. VHR is kind of dark and definitely nothing like Mesa gain-wise. Newer Opeth is what you should be listening to to get an idea of VHR sounds. You CAN get a very nice high gain tone out of it, but you'll definitely need to boost it with a pedal of sorts for that.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Yeah - I know the opeth tone is perfect, they use pedals on the clean channel.

Are you suggesting I use pedals on the overdrive channel? And which pedals would you reccommend for the tone Im after?
I don't really play much ultra-high gain stuff so you're probably better off asking someone else about this... I'm just saying you won't be able to get a Peavey 5150 amount of gain out of this amp unless you do some modding on it, I imagine changing the preamp tubes could fix that - but I really wouldn't suggest that unless you only need high gain tones and don't care about it's other modes - but if that's the case you probably should change the amp, anyway.

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

i have a laney vh 100r and i play metalcore on it whitout a boost. Sounds awesome. The trick is not to use to much gain. You don't need mutch gain to sound good. Also, do you use the high input?
It took me two years to find that I've wasted five years of my life

Proud Laney VH100R owner!
I thought it was pretty high gain when I tried it...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i had a look and mastodon use tube screamers to help get that extra kick out of their laneys when playing live. Also dragonforce seem to use them, and get a sweet sound...i think its to do with laneys respond to being turned up really high. There was an interview with herman li, and he said only when u crank it to full can he get his sound.
Quote by Def
i had a look and mastodon use tube screamers to help get that extra kick out of their laneys when playing live. Also dragonforce seem to use them, and get a sweet sound...i think its to do with laneys respond to being turned up really high. There was an interview with herman li, and he said only when u crank it to full can he get his sound.

Well Herman Li uses a TT100 head and a million of preamps, and Totman is using a GH100, not VCR's. Dunno about Mastodon...

Quote by ar73m
Well Herman Li uses a TT100 head and a million of preamps, and Totman is using a GH100, not VCR's. Dunno about Mastodon...

ohpps...my bad. when i saw them live i though thats what they where, same for mastodon.
Quote by Let It Burn...
i have a laney vh 100r and i play metalcore on it whitout a boost. Sounds awesome. The trick is not to use to much gain. You don't need mutch gain to sound good. Also, do you use the high input?

Without boost it sounds just like a crunch tone!
Do you have el34 output values?
I use the low imput but the high imput doesn't really change anything.

P.S. Nice Misery Signals sig.
^ are you sure your high input isn't broken? that should make a difference to the amount of gain available.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Polestar1349
Without boost it sounds just like a crunch tone!
Do you have el34 output values?
I use the low imput but the high imput doesn't really change anything.

Dude, at low volumes your gain channel WILL sound pretty much the same as the crunch. :p The difference will only be more or less apparent when you drive it harder, as far as I'm aware..

^ there's something wrong somewhere.

Either I tried one with super-hot pickups (I didn't), or yours is broken (possibly), or you don't know how to engage the boost (unlikely but possible), or the one I tried was modded for extra gain (unlikely), or you guys' idea of high gain is a lot different to mine (likely).

At low volume I had enough gain for anything, quite frankly. And, FWIW, the high gain channel with the drive boost OFF sounded a bit like the clean channel with the gain boost ON- the drive channel with the drive boost on had MUCH more gain.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well changing my input from low to high doesn't really change much. Which should I be using with my rg170, pickups have not been changed, H-S-H.

The gain is reasonably high at really low volumes...but when I turn it up, the gain obviously doesnt sound so 'gainy'....... The tone just seems to be a bit to crunchy and not 'full on'

Also, when the extra drive is on the amp is extremely noisey - did anyone else notice this?
^ the gain should increase as you crank it. I didn't notice excessive noise, but I did try it quite a while ago.

It's hard to tell without being there- I don't want to tell you to take it back, just in case you like having more gain than I do!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Polestar1349

thanks, i'm surprised anyone here would recognize it . Greatest. Song. Ever.

and for all the non-believers, here's a laney VH100R with medium-high gain sounds:
http://users.telenet.be/accesshome/ampke/laneyvh100r.mp3

recorded with a crappy behringer mic though and with some playing errors. guitar was an LTD EC 500. Low Input. Cab is a 4x12" Orange V30 cab. Gain is at 6 and drive at 6,5. volume was on 2. With gain maxed, you'll get a damn crazy feedbacking sound with a hell lotta more gain then you'll ever need.

and it aren't the EMG's. I can get a very high gain sound with the stock pickups on my crappy ibanez SA too (on the high gain input then)
It took me two years to find that I've wasted five years of my life

Proud Laney VH100R owner!
Last edited by Let It Burn... at Jan 9, 2007,