I'm assuming you're talking about the Line 6 POD. It's an effects processor. You can create your own sound with it. I would say its worth it. I dont have one but I know alot of people who do and they regret not finding it sooner.
This can tell you more than we can:

http://line6.com/podxtlive/

Pod's are amp-modelers/effects processors. That particular one is the floor model but they all do similar things. As far as whether or not it's worth the money ($200-$350 new, depending on the model), that depends on what you'll be using it for. They're outstanding tools for recording or practicing at home but people have mixed results using them in a live band situation. I use a PODXTL with my band and get fantastic results but that has alot to do with the amp I'm running it into and the fact that I've put in the time learning how to program it properly.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
yes the xtlive is quite amazing...sometimes just the right tone is hard to find because alot of the amp models sound very similar...but if you know how to use it (and so far...i'm still learning) its pretty handy....
ha ha well is it worth getting a POD or just buying a nice tube amp?
SLAYEEEEERRRRR!
^ Lol. Imo, if you're not going to be gigging or aren't in a band, the pod will be great for home use. I was stuck in your situation, and decided to go with the pod since I'm not gigging. Also, if you're not experienced with amps and fx and such, the pod is a great learning tool to experiment with different amps, cabs, and fx.
Quote by pierce34celtic
^ Lol. Imo, if you're not going to be gigging or aren't in a band, the pod will be great for home use. I was stuck in your situation, and decided to go with the pod since I'm not gigging. Also, if you're not experienced with amps and fx and such, the pod is a great learning tool to experiment with different amps, cabs, and fx.

Exactly, a tube amp if your playing with a band, a POD if it's just for home use or recording. I use mine live with my band but only through my amp.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Dang I thought this was about the Pick of Destiny. But if your just going to play around with it at home and want to mess around with effects then go for it. I didn't like mine that much but it could definetely produce some fun and unique sounds.
Quote by pierce34celtic
^ Do those Burny's have OFRs matt?

They're licensed Floyds but the design seems to be identical to an Original. The trem was what worried me most when I bought my white one but it's actually the best trem I've used aside from the Ibanez Edge trems. I love those guitars.
ha ha well i'm in two bands at the moment, ones an indy rock thing i've just started and the other is a charged punk thing who I gig with every other week. Still worth it?
POD's(like all amp modellers) work best thru a flat response full range amp, like a keyboard amp or PA. Using thru a guitar amp will colour your tone. Like any other tool, if you learn to use it properly, you'll get good results. And no, they may not sound exactly like the amps it's supposed to model, but you can guarantee 99% of your audience won't be able to tell the difference.