I'm looking into replacing or modifying the bridge on my brother's old Fender Japanese Stratocaster. Main reason is that the old saddles eat strings, but it does give him one other iritation. Because the bridge has springs in it, they vibrate with the note. This means that when you strum a chord, then mute it, it doesn't go completely silent, because bits of the bridge keep on vibrating.

The cure for the moment is a wad of tissues duct taped into the back of the guitar. Doesn't seem to alter the function of the trem, it's still just as capable of putting the guitar out of tune every time you breath on the bar.

We'd be inclined to just leave the tissues taped in place, but since the bridge needs work anyways, what should I be looking for to cut out the buzz, and if I'm lucky break less strings? Something that won't go out of tune so easily would be nice too.

Thankyou clever people who know more than me.
for the tuning get locking tuners and a new bridge, i personally have no problem with palm muting chords after strumming, the cotton wool idea sounds better though.

"You're a MESS!"
Oh, yeah...sorry, I didn't remember to comment on the bridge situation. It all depends on what kind of bridge is on there right now. If you're dealing with one of the old 6 point trems, then the Wilkinson VSVG is probably the best choice. Couple that with locking tuners and you should be in decent shape. Next upgrade would be a graphite nut and ditch the string trees. I've also found that putting a brass plate under the pivot point (where the 6 screws hold the bridge in) works to maintain a steady surface for the trem to pivot on. I read about that in a Stewmac article some time ago and tried it out.
Getting a better trem wont stop the unwanted spring noise, Steve Vai has a big wad of tissue in the back of all of his guitars cos of this and he has a very high end tremolo.
meh- to tell you the truth- most my guitars have some tissue inside the cavties- it just keeps excess noise down. i had to do it to my tele cuz the pup was virbrating- it doesnt hurt nething- doint trip
It sounds like he doesn't use the current tremolo, so why not just get rid of it alltogether and make it a hard-tail? It's cheaper, stays in tune, breaks less strings and sounds better. All problems solved.
I'm tempted to make it a hardtail, but it's Miles's guitar and he does use the tremelo, although it's usefulness is limited due to it's effect on the tuners.

I might fill all the cavities with tissue or foam too, and then with the pots and switches replaced it might actually sound good. Pickups seem fine, the previous owner replaced them, but I'm not sure what with.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I've used graphtech sadles in the past, they are a quick and easy fix for the string breakage, and they will help your tuning problems a little bit. They are a little on the expensive side, but they are alot easier then upgrading to a different bridge. It also keeps the guitar easy to return to stock, if that is a concern.

If you want to fix it on the cheep, you can get a 6 point bridge on fleabay and rape it for the sadles, and possibly some quiter springs.

To quite your spings, you can try tightening the claw a bit, this will put more tension on the bar and it may improve the return to tune factor.
Ok, can someone explain to me which bit the claw is? I'm on a sharp learning curve with electric guitars, having come from classical.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
The claw is the claw looking thing that holds the springs.

Change the saddles and buy new tuners.
Tighten/loosen the springs tills they dont resonate. I had this prob on all of my guitars when they were brand new.

Tighten the six screws that hold the tremolo and the whammy will move less and probably wont go out of tune that fast.