Page 1 of 2
i love black metal...but that was pretty interesting
Quote by killbox2490
Once at chruch, I was at a group thing so I was laying down on the couch then all of a sudden some girl goes up to me starts rubbing my shoe ferociousely and goes " I want sex"......
Black metal's great if you ask me... There are awesome BM bands you should hear, like Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, Moonsorrow, Nile, Lamb of God etc.
The cemetery lights up again
As in ancient times
Fallen souls die behind my steps
By following the freezing moon
Well, black metal and philosophy happens to be two of my favorite subjects. Well written essay, for sure, and I liked how the author 'juxtaposed' black metal lyrics with their philosophical counterpart. I just happened to read Albert Camus's The Myth of Sisyphus where he talks about Sisyphus' 'punishment' actually being a gift because Sisyphus knows what will happen. Also, the Gods' idea was to punish Sisyphus to a task of unrewarded labor for eternity. However, Sisyphus attitude is not determined by the gods. He can choose how he wants to feel and there is no uncertainty when it comes to his task at hand.

I think the author presents a real problem....is black metal dying or do listeners just have to dwell deeper into the genre to find what it is morphing into? I think black metal is evolving and that any bands that want recognition from devout BM fans are required to be unique and original.

I have a few criticisms. The author seriously needs to lay off the thesaurus (sp? hah). I understood what he was saying, but some passages were rather unecessary. Also, I don't think lyrics contribute to the art of Black Metal. Some people may disagree, but I listen to the musicianship. So what if DSO is analyzing Jean-Paul Sartre. "Does it sound good?" should be the main question that matters.
Last edited by mydadisjewish at Jan 8, 2007,
Quote by marijaaa
Black metal's great if you ask me... There are awesome BM bands you should hear, like Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, Moonsorrow, Nile, Lamb of God etc.

Get the fuck outta here.

The article was good. I like bands like Drudkh and Deathspell Omega exactly for those reasons - intelligent people making intelligent music that goes beyond the actual instrumentation. I don't know or understand the lyrics Drudkh have (I can't read Ukrainian), but I can get a sense of their romanticist (dunno how to say it, but something that is of 'romanticism'), Ukrainian nationalism through the actual melodies and aura of the music.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
having glanced through that crap, i feel like im in every position to say that was some stoopid essay; written by some stoopid person who argues for some stoopid piece of stoopid balooney

thats some stoopid ass article, who that motha****er think he is

pfft. nobody asked you, shut up

I think the author presents a real problem....is black metal dying or do listeners just have to dwell deeper into the genre to find what it is morphing into?

what the **** are they teaching you in school

The article was good.

my ****ing ass

bah, not worth explaining, that article was dumb, ill crawl back into my little hole
Quote by marijaaa

Let's see...

Mayhem - BM
Dimmu Borgir - Technically, they're BM, but not tr00 kvlt
Moonsorrow - Viking metal
Nile - Tech Death (and really good, btw)
Lamb of God - Metalcore/Groove metal (still very good, but they aren't to be discussed in the metal forum)
Interesting. I think the author gets off on using big words for no reason, but his point still remains. You can't stop anything from expanding simply by your own willpower; black metal has expanded whether you like it or not. I fail to see the brilliance of either band, but there's definitely very intellectually-minded BM out there.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Personally, black metal artists are among to the smartist of any genre...

they believe in their ideas/idealogy (theres a difference between them right, mydadisjewish?) and don't give a crap if anyone else does.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Now I'm back cause Obama.
Well, first of all I think this author has looked way to far into this genre. And yes, he does need to put down the thesaurus. I love black metal but I don't listen to it because I am satanic,( not saying I'm anything) I love the atmosphere the music gives me and the feeling from the songs. I rarely listen to the lyrics. In turn, I think of the vocals more of another intrument that mixes in with the other sounds. But, I"m afraid I am one of those bastards that think that black metal has lots most of it's potencial. It's not the same anymore, to get my mind really wandering I have to listen to real low quality, say Burzum, at what used to be a really late hour before I could get into it.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
Alas, another kid with a thesaurus who's going to preach about the quintessential essence & ideology of black metal...boooring.
Don't analyze my beliefs & I won't pick out the flaws in yours
Quite interesting, I thought. It explored some good ideas, though Jewish pretty much said all that needs to be. I don't get into lyrics too much, but the music often carries across the atmosphere and ideas anyway.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by RingmasterTJ
Alas, another kid with a thesaurus who's going to preach about the quintessential essence & ideology of black metal...boooring.

*ding ding ding*

We have a winner
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
heh, its funny how some people are noting the 'big words' used in the article. No wonder metalheads are stereotyped as being dumb. What do they teach ya's in skewl anywaz? I kid, i kid.

ok, seriously, on topic. That was some good writing, even though i really couldn't care less about the evolution of black metal, bands will keep releasing new material, some of it will be same ol' same ol', while others might be drastically different from previous efforts. And if one of said bands provokes my interest, I'll give them a listen. Simple as that for me.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Because I read the article now I feel obliged to post...I didn't learn anything from it. It seemed to be written to inflate the egos of blackmetal fans out there and the author didn't look very deeply into the demise of blackmetal either.

-but it was a good time killa-
^

Quote by tarem
Personally, black metal artists are among to the smartist of any genre...

they believe in their ideas/idealogy (theres a difference between them right, mydadisjewish?) and don't give a crap if anyone else does.

How is that smart? That's close-minded and ignorant.

You also spelled "smartest" wrong.

Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
i also wrote that in a split second cause my mom was hollering at me to get off....

i spell right, most of the time.

I also was going to write more, but as i said, didn't have the time.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

I find that article rather shallow and pedantic.

Interesting though in some points .
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by tarem

Which makes them smarter, how?

EDIT:

Quote by tarem
i also wrote that in a split second cause my mom was hollering at me to get off....

If you don't have the time to write something clever, don't just write something dumb.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Last edited by duncang at Jan 9, 2007,
Quote by duncang
Which makes them smarter, how?

Because they big words

Duh!

"Digressing from the present incarnation of the metaphysical auditory sect that is so uniquely black metal, it can be inferred that the prerogative is not simply to generate awe within the oblongata of entertainment we so crudely call the humour of our minds, we can visualise the proverbial gargantuan serpent of Lovecraftian proportions that so menacingly chokes away the core of contemporary black metal blah blah blah"

Some of these wankers must think theyre on an episode of Frasier of something

"Oh Niles, it must be said that the new Marduk album is simply a ravishing concoction of psychopathic rage"
Quote by unfathomable_bo

Some of these wankers must think theyre on an episode of Frasier of something

"Oh Niles, it must be said that the new Marduk album is simply a ravishing concoction of psychopathic rage"

Sigged like a generic hotpunksk8rgirl spelling error
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Just the fact that you can tell he raped a thesaurus writing that makes me not take him seriously.
Quote by tarem

Ah, but you had the opportunity just now to expand upon your previous post, and you didn't.

As for the article...seriously, it's just music. Analyzing it too intensely sort of takes the fun out of it, at least for me.

And who the hell begins a sentence with "Before I embark, ..."?
Quote by Bottled Ink Co.

And who the hell begins a sentence with "Before I embark, ..."?

Gandalf, and tarem.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
The point is to show the writer's expansive vocabulary to make the article seem intelligent.
So one person mentions thesaurus and then everyone just mentions it and bitches about it...

Seriously, that was well written and I don't see any word in there that is complex or anything (english being my second tongue), and it would be a much more boring text if the author had used the same words over and over.

As for the content, it's pretty good, it's his visions of things and they ain't bad imo. You didn't learn anything new??? It's not something to learn, but to reflect on. And is aimed to anyone.

But if you want typical comments from metalheads.....this thread sure as hell does it.
I'm entitled to double post, so fück off!!!
Quote by chemicalsolutio
So one person mentions thesaurus and then everyone just mentions it and bitches about it...

Seriously, that was well written and I don't see any word in there that is complex or anything (english being my second tongue), and it would be a much more boring text if the author had used the same words over and over.

As for the content, it's pretty good, it's his visions of things and they ain't bad imo. You didn't learn anything new??? It's not something to learn, but to reflect on. And is aimed to anyone.

But if you want typical comments from metalheads.....this thread sure as hell does it.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

most metal heads are idiots.

(looks at Duncang)

no need to say anything more.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

I didn't think the language itself in the article was difficult to understand or anything, it just gave an aura of pretentiousness. Still, this is coming from someone who really doesn't have an interest in 99% of black metal at all, so I'm a bit biased. I really don't care about it, so I guess an attempt at intellectual analysis of current black metal just comes off as unnecessary to me.
Quote by SickMetal
I didn't think the language itself in the article was difficult to understand or anything, it just gave an aura of pretentiousness. Still, this is coming from someone who really doesn't have an interest in 99% of black metal at all, so I'm a bit biased. I really don't care about it, so I guess an attempt at intellectual analysis of current black metal just comes off as unnecessary to me.

Yea I agree about the last part. It seemed unnecessary and it was more of a blog anyways. I just don't really care what's so important that the author is trying to convey. Yes, there are intelligent black metal bands. Ok. Great.
I've found Jesus
there is nothing wrong with using "big words". they make it easier for a writer to give certain tone, particurlarly an intelligent one, but they can as also make a writer sound "weak" if the usage of words is awkward within the context. the writre who wrote that stoopid article has a poor and undeveloped rhetoric in his style of writing; and the point he tries to make, concieved from flimsy and cruddy analytical skills, of which merits no praise, is very --um......... - very, very stupid. and so thereon he has to use a lexicon of words to sugarcoat his article; the spurious arabesque of it drawing the approval of -- uuuhhhhhhhh............... -- easily impressed dumb****s (a number of which can be found here)
Quote by dark_muzika
You all rocks. Black metal is my Fave like the lamb of God!!![QUOTE

Pathetic. Go suck Adler's cock.
I've found Jesus
Quote by tarem
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

most metal heads are idiots.

(looks at Duncang)

no need to say anything more.

Atramentous promontory ingurgitates globules.

Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
I got there first, bitch.

Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by duncang
Atramentous promontory ingurgitates globules.

it was nice around here without you. Just be nice, and stop being so damn inmature man.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Quote by tarem
it was nice around here without you. Just be nice, and stop being so damn inmature man.

Do you really expect me to be nice when you're calling me an idiot?
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Page 1 of 2