Hey there I was hoping you guys could help me out with a bit of a problem of mine.. ive currently got a bit of cash and I really feel like buying myself a new piece of kit!!

Ive got an RG320FM with EMG81 and a tremol-no installed.. and I was thinking about getting a RR3 guitar to add to my collection in the next few days, i kinda always wanted a Jackson V they are pretty much the coolest guitar (without going into pointy kids toys mode) I intend to take out the bridge pickup and wack an EMG in there as it would be rude not to ...

Anyway ive been reading stuff all over the net and ive seen a few people saying if uve already got a nice guitar a valve amp should be the next thing to buy and without one you dont even get 100% out of the guitar youve already got... is this true??! are they REALLY that great? I know i need to get myself a 100w head soon but now im thinking maybe buy one instead of a new guitar!

Oh yeh I play metal and shred! (no, really, shred)

Any of you guys have thoughts on this? sorta urgent y'know!
(sorry about the essay)

Cheers, synth002
What is your current amp?
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
The amp will make you sound much better, whereas you'll feed your ego better with the guitar. I'd say look at the carvin (Vai) models, the peaveys jsx, 5150/6505, peavey xxx and possibly some mesa boogie gear (Depending on price). I had a similar predicament. Although my guitar's not great, I still get a great sound because I bought a decent valve amp.

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Amp before guitar!!!

Emg's are best thru tube amps too!

so theirs your answer! Amp
Hey guys thanks for the quick response, at the moment im using a roland 30w cube amp its pretty cool y'know (not that i bother using the "built in effects") maybe i should get a new amp!

The main thing that puts me off tho is the price! I dont really know anything about good valve amps but if I do get one ive got a feeing I would lean towards either Peavy or Mesa as Jimbob mentioned as these are the ones ive herd being mentioned most but then a hell of a lot of people seem to have JCM's.. are all decent valve amps well over 1000 pounds?!
hmm... I think there are others too...
for cheaper ones theres:
Ashdown
Laney
B-52
For the higher range there's
Engl's
Diezel's
Bogner's
No they aren't.
Maybe the the 100 watt ones are but i can't see you really needing one of them.
What would you use it for?
The Stuff!
Maybe your rite dude, how loud is 50w tho.. if I get a real amp I dont wana have to buy another one for quite some time! Is 50w big enough for pubs n clubs?
50W tube would be yes definitely.
Almost anywhere that would need louder than that would have it's own PA system so you'd rarely ever need louder than that.
The Stuff!
Jcm's are great, but most (dsl possibly excluded) need a boost for a scooped chugging sound. I didn't reccomend marshalls, as I assumed you live in the States and have to pay through the nose for them. If you can, look for a used jcm800 4010 and a bad monkey. It has the ballsiest sound ever.... and boosted, have sufficient gain and are based on a huge fat sound. My mate has one, and gets an incredible metal sound. I'd only reccomend single channels jcm800's. That amp is great sounding, incredibly loud, compact and possibly reasonably priced used. Make sure you don't buy a reissue.

Good luck

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

valve amp! and yes, they r really that gr8....since im a metal guitarist 2 i recomend either, krank, mesa boogie, diesel, marshall...but obviously im mentioning top notch stuff here, not cheap at all...but if u want the best, there ya go mate.
You prob gonna say the amp aint everything when it comes to the sound...thats true...d pick ups r ****in imp as well, but if ur planning 2 start using EMG go 4 the 81's man, thats a fukin shred sound/tone....i use them myself, beauties.
anywayz, hope i helped ya out a bit bro
Cheers guys gonna start looking at some 50w heads i think im in the uk and ive seen loads of jcm's on ebay in the past so i think i might start there but im also gonna check out reveiws n stuff on other makes.. thanks much!
definitely an amp, you wont regret it. i would go with a mesa or krank if you have the cash. i have a peavey 6505, which i love to death.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
i'd take a look into an engl screamer or laney tt combo, they're both around £700. depends on your budget, obviously.

Peavey and mesa tend to be very dear in the UK, unless they do the sound you hear in your head, you can normally get better amps for cheaper.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah yes, mesa will cost u maaad cash in the UK, chek out the laney, i knwo i wanted a VH100r for a while untill i heard the dual rectos crnaked. the vh is very very nice. but also look at ENGL for lei a necrophagiest sound, very tight very very high gain, and obv. marshalls. cheapo in uk or so i hear
Hmm been reading reviews of ENGL Screamer H and the laney tt (ENGL seems to come off better) I see a few people saying these amps are okay but more seems to say there not up to peavy and mesa when it comes to metal, thing is you dont know how much of it hype n how much is for real.. think im just gonna have to go try some out.
^ depends what you mean by metal- it's true the screamer is less overtly metal than some of the other engls, but to be honest, it's still pretty metal, at least in my opinion.

It really depends on your budget though- you can get some of the more metal engls for not that much more, if you get something like the framus 2x12 cab that's on thomann (it's only like £200).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?