My ESP LTD EC-500 is on its way (EMG 81, 60).
I will be playing Metal mostly on it, but my question is. Can it be used for other types of music and still sound good e.g. Punk, Rock. I won't be playing blues onit.
rock, yes; punk...ehhh, with the right adjustments on the amp, it would sound pretty good, but not great like it will for metal. anything else (country, jazz, classical, ect.) is out of the question
Of course. EMG's are more versatile than most people on this board make them out to be. I achieve great cleans with mine, albeit not the best in the world but pretty darn good. Punk usually uses a great deal of overdrive/distortion, so you should have no problem in that area.
About the rock, you'll have to be more specfic.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Quote by Pleiadian
Of course. EMG's are more versatile than most people on this board make them out to be. I achieve great cleans with mine, albeit not the best in the world but pretty darn good. Punk usually uses a great deal of overdrive/distortion, so you should have no problem in that area.
About the rock, you'll have to be more specfic.

Well the non-metal stuff i play are Rise Against, Coheed & Cambria, Muse, etc.
EMG's arent as metalafied pickups as most think, even the humbuckers can do more than just gain. All depends on what your playing through.

But the Single Coils can shine. The Vince Gill set owns.
Quote by Schmidt1989
rock, yes; punk...ehhh, with the right adjustments on the amp, it would sound pretty good, but not great like it will for metal. anything else (country, jazz, classical, ect.) is out of the question

That's not entirely true. I play blues and country on my Les Paul, and it sounds amazing with the EMG's.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Quote by Pleiadian
That's not entirely true. I play blues and country on my Les Paul, and it sounds amazing with the EMG's.

are they 81/60s?
thanks pierce. Sorry for trying to wrong you Pleiadian, you are undoubtadly smarter than me and you pretty much pwned me...
EDIT: oh and the Zakk Wylde 81/85 set must've cost a fortune
Last edited by Schmidt1989 at Jan 8, 2007,
Yea I really think that people on these boards are way to hard on EMG's. They are not the best for genre's other than metal but they are still good. Blues and Jazz is not that hard to achieve with them. I love the cleans on them to. Listen to some Between The Buried And Me, they have a ton of little clean/jazzy sections.
You can probably get most of the sound you want from the EMG's, i'm not so sure about punk though, do you mean like true oldskool punk or like the newer stuff that's more emo/hardcore/pop? Something like say the Sex Pistols would be tough to get I think.
Is there any difference between Zakk Wylde 81/85 and just normal 81/85?
Quote by YYZ
You can probably get most of the sound you want from the EMG's, i'm not so sure about punk though, do you mean like true oldskool punk or like the newer stuff that's more emo/hardcore/pop? Something like say the Sex Pistols would be tough to get I think.

Yeah like newer stuff, but not the pop-punk, the more "rocky" stuff
You could probably do Coheed & Cambria just fine, I can't really remember what Rise Against sounds like, probably not Muse, doesn't he use like Semi-hollow bodies with lots of effects and stuff? I don't know, all i'm sayin is don't worry about it, you'll be quite happy with the pickups. Nice guitar to, I have the mh-400, same thing just looks different with a trem. You'll get a beautiful sound out of that guitar.
Quote by Schmidt1989

Wrong. Why do people post when they have no idea what they're talking about?
Quote by YYZ
Is there any difference between Zakk Wylde 81/85 and just normal 81/85?

not that i know of

but yeah, emg's can work well on a lot of genres, the problem is most people are afraid to tweak their amps to fit, and because of this they end up saying (insert pickup) is crap at (inster genre)
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Why do you post without having anything to say? Why not correct him so that the thread starter can use your advice?

And to the thread starter, since you said you would mostly be playing metal, again, I wouldn't worry about it, you'll be fine.

Edit: That was to the other guy, not you ^
Quote by YYZ
Why do you post without having anything to say? Why not correct him so that the thread starter can use your advice?

And to the thread starter, since you said you would mostly be playing metal, again, I wouldn't worry about it, you'll be fine.

Edit: That was to the other guy, not you ^

Because someone else already corrected him. You can use EMGs for any style of music. I could name plenty of guitarists in genres other than metal that use them, but I'm feeling lazy. And Matt Bellamy of Muse does not use semi-hollows. He also uses hot pickups such as Nailbombs, so I don't think EMGs would really be a problem if you wanted his tone.
Cheers everyone who posted, I was just convincing myself that i chose the right guitar (I had a choice between the Epiphone LP custom and the LTD).
Guess i did Help appreciated
claudio from co and ca uses emgs in his explorers
Setup
Epi. X-Plorer
Line6 Spider III 120
Boss Phase Shifter
Boss Blues Driver
fbv2 Footswich