Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I've been working on my alternate picking techniques and I was wondering how the hell does Zakk Wylde alternate pick the way he does and retain control? I mean, I usually have to anchor my picking hand to the guitar using my pinkie, but Zakk just flails his hand about and it seems to hit the right string with perfect accuracy.

Any tips to practice this technique?

Here's a PERFECT explanation of what I'm talking about.

Now, I know you're all gonna say "Practice, practice, practice," but what the hell am I supposed to practice?! I have NO idea what he's doing there, honestly...
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
^ he's unanchoring, you sir, you are anchoring. and yes practice, ALOT, it takes a while to get used to playing like that. this is a prime example of playing unanchored being better than anchoring (regardless of whether or not zakk wylde is your favorite guitarist the man is pretty good) playing unanchored gives your hand less tension and more freedom of movement like you see in the vid.
The magic is all in the beard ... Just look at Dimebag, he has a beard too and so does he rock your socks
Ok the part of playing unanchored I can manage if I really try, but it's his precision that amazes me...
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
^ if you rest your hand on the bridge then you're palm muting right? as far as the accuracy goes thats pretty much practice, you start at a nominal comfortable speed and work your way up.
I'm not palm muting. I can play muted or normally with my hand on the bridge.

When playing chords, I wave my whole hand. When picking, I rest it on the bridge. Works for me. I don't get how Zakk does it, though.

Everyone rests their hand on some part of the guitar (at least that's what it looks like) Some rest their elbow on the body.
I don't get how Zakk does it, though.

That's what I do wanna get
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
well, zakks been playing a while like 20 + years, he's prolly gotten pretty good from all the years he's been playing. keep practicing.
Quote by Pleiadian
That's what I do wanna get

Well, I would say that it's because he's completely in control of his elbow and
forearm movement. When you have that, you have total control of string to string
movement. And when you have that, you can start blending in your wrist with
the elbow. The elbow + wrist can produce a really fast oscillation and when you're
comfortably in control with the elbow, it's accurate as well.

Problem is, most people focus on the wrist and, especially when you anchor for
stability, completely neglect the elbow.

So, start training your elbow. That's really where it all starts.
^ good advice, upon reading this statement i realized that is what i do (utilize the elbow in with the wrist movement)
Well Zakk did practice up to twelve hours a day in his youth....
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
zadd was born with incredible natural talent, something you werent born with (why else would you be here), so dont expect so much of yourself
^ wtf!?!?!?! i really hope yer joking around man, very VERY few people are born with natural musical talent who can just pick up a guitar and play it (although i believe children can pick it up much quicker than adults or teens) don't sh!t on the guy, he is trying to get better.
who the fukk are you kidding? you want to lie to him? go ahead, tell him, here il do it for you:

ok dude, you have amazing talent, you dont need to practice anymore, you have achieved a level of guitar playing no one else will ever get.

Did that make you happy you sad sack???????? Pick up your balls and tell the truth, be a man for once in your life.
Kevinw, there's no such thing as natural talent as far as it goes for guitar. The way to get good is a lot of practise. Maybe some people learn it more easily, but since Zakk practiced A LOT, and he is an awesome guitarist now proves my point only further, doesn't it?
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Quote by Cardboard
The magic is all in the beard ... Just look at Dimebag, he has a beard too and so does he rock your socks

, so true...

Another example would be Brent Hinds from Mastodon, he's got a killer bierd, and some pretty wild picking skills. (Though he does use more of a chickin' pickin' technique)

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Joey Radical > you are an idoit. No natural talent for guitar? What the hell is lodged in that so called "brain" of yours???????????
Correct. Guitar skill comes from practice. How fast they learn is different from player to player, but noone is just "good" at guitar, everyone who is good at guitar practices their balls off.

kevinw, your one of those "DONT LEARN THEORY JUST PLAY WHAT SOUNDS GOOD" guys aren't you?
Quote by kevinw
who the fukk are you kidding? you want to lie to him? go ahead, tell him, here il do it for you:

ok dude, you have amazing talent, you dont need to practice anymore, you have achieved a level of guitar playing no one else will ever get.

Did that make you happy you sad sack???????? Pick up your balls and tell the truth, be a man for once in your life.

i'm not gonna lie to anyone, simple fact is the more you practice, the better you get. zakk wylde is phenomenal at guitar, if you pour as much time into it as he did you can be phenomenal too. you much like i, haven't even heard the TC's skills, maybe he's getting close to that good, or maybe he's a total noob, regardless he just wants to get better and practice is the way to go. you talkin' smack isn't gonna help him reach his goals. i'm pretty good, i only got that way through practice,lots and lots and lots of it. i wasn't a born guitarist, but i wanted to kick a$$ enough i practiced long and hard and now here i am, if the TC practices long and hard he can kick a$$ too.
Quote by kevinw
Joey Radical > you are an idoit. No natural talent for guitar? What the hell is lodged in that so called "brain" of yours???????????

I'm not going to bother arguing with you over the internet.

Have a nice day!
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
1st) I know theory, not all of it, but im working on, been playing for almost 4 years.
2nd) I would be willing to wager that some of you are death metal, anti-christ worshipping lunatics.
3rd) So you are suggesting that Zakk Wylde has no natural talent?
4th) You actually believe you can one day be as talented as Zakk Wylde?
Quote by kevinw
1st) I know theory, not all of it, but im working on, been playing for almost 4 years.

You can't know all of theory. Theory isn't a textbook, it's it's an ongoing research/discovery/search effort to find just "what sounds good" and write it down.

Quote by kevinw
2nd) I would be willing to wager that some of you are death metal, anti-christ worshipping lunatics.

What does that have to do with anything?

Quote by kevinw

Maybe, maybe not, but I am willing to bet that he practicing 12 hours a day helped him alot more than "natural talent".

Quote by kevinw

With alot of practice, anyone can play as fast as he does. And just about anyone can write music better than that stupid hic.

Quote by kevinw
I'm a deuchebag

Finally, we are making progress
Quote by kevinw

great what does this have to do with the price of tea in f#cking china? it sounds like you're some cocky noob teen who really doesn't know what he is talking about and is just trying to be a dick. that being the case, congrats, good job, you're a dick. that being said i'd like to fire back with....

1) i know a considerable chunk of knowledge, i may very well have forgotten more theory than you actually know. i've been playing for 12 years

2) no, i don't think this applies any of us (except BGC maybe )

3) i couldn't say, i didn't hear him playing after just 1 month, he may have some natural talent but as with 99.999999% of all guitarists the really good ones get that way due to practice

4) yes i think i could, if i practiced more then possibly better.

Of course he can. There are plenty of guitarists far better than Zakk and each and every one of them sucked when they picked up the guitar. It's a matter of devotion and practice, not natural talent. Some will pick it up faster than other, but that means nothing if you don't even bother to "pick it up"
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.

The only one in this thread who's claiming that about anyone is you. You're the one who seems to feel that practice is useless.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Wow, did this thread degenerate.

Of COURSE there's natural talent. No one starts out equal. I have no idea if
ZW had it or not. He may have had much less than many others, or average.

The great equalizer is knowing how to practice. I pretty much F'n guarantee ZW
knew HOW to practice when he put in all that time. That's one of the reasons he's
where he is (with no small amount of being in the right place at the right time).

ANYONE can learn how to practice. But because most people don't even see it as
a skill that you learn, they don't bother. And, they don't get very far. ANYONE
can learn it, and with it you can pretty much go as far as you want.

If you don't believe that and believe either you have the talent or not, you probably
aren't going to get very far.
Quote by kevinw

You're an idiot. Hes asking for help, not boasting about his talent.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by kevinw

alright dude, just shut the hell up. If you practice, you get better. If you practice a lot, you get a lot better. I beleive that there are a good number of people who have the potential to become as talented as Zakk Wylde, and many already are. If you set your mind to it, have good self discipline, and work your ass off to acheive your goal, you can and WILL get there.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

"practice, practice, practice"

you've probably heard of this before but do chromatic scales to a metronome, and gradually speed up, a very tried and true technique for speeding up your picking hand and your accuracy. Be sure to alternate pick it, all downstrokes, and all upstrokes.

chromatic scale is -1-2-3-4 on all the strings up then down and eventually skip strings etc.

hopefully you know what i talking about. And do not anchor if you are hoping to play like wild it is an excellent idea to start early in not anchoring as opposed to starting late (like i did, but i cool now )

pepsi

DO NOT ANCHOR, WILL KILL YOUR WRIST.
all of you are pathelic losers, your in such denial its not even funny. You losers actually think "ooo, il practice the major scale and be good as zakk wylde". Stop dreaming you idoitic ****s, who the hell are you kidding? None of you will ever be good enough. Its surprising how people who play the guitar for 12 years probably dont even know what the harmonic minor scale is, looking at you cowboy loser.

Quote by CowboyUp
im a stupid loner with no friends.

too bad your gay family thinks the same way.
Quote by 6DgOfInTb
alright dude, just shut the hell up. If you practice, you get better. If you practice a lot, you get a lot better. I beleive that there are a good number of people who have the potential to become as talented as Zakk Wylde, and many already are. If you set your mind to it, have good self discipline, and work your ass off to acheive your goal, you can and WILL get there.

you are the biggest mama's boy i have ever met. What are you on the nerd patrol?
You know Zakk isn't even the best guitarist out there, he is great though. But there are better, alot better. And you know what, there are guitarist out there who just never got with the right band and were never heard to get the reconision he did.

And where the hell do you think great guitarist come from. They don't just magicaly appear out of know where. I see people on youtube all the time who play just as fast as Zakk does.

And just to humble you, i bet if you read any interview with a great guitarist they would not of consider themselves naturally talented.
epic7734
Quote by Pleiadian
Hey guys, I've been working on my alternate picking techniques and I was wondering how the hell does Zakk Wylde alternate pick the way he does and retain control? I mean, I usually have to anchor my picking hand to the guitar using my pinkie, but Zakk just flails his hand about and it seems to hit the right string with perfect accuracy.

Any tips to practice this technique?

Here's a PERFECT explanation of what I'm talking about.

Now, I know you're all gonna say "Practice, practice, practice," but what the hell am I supposed to practice?! I have NO idea what he's doing there, honestly...

I'm not good with this sort of thin, but guess would be practicing scales, with and just little string exercises. Like 123 on strings, 1234, alternating strings and playing different notes on each one. Like go from e to b back to e to b to g to b to g to d, you get the picture. My dad showed me something like that, though I don't remember it
But I know it would help.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
He gets my vote.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I know it can be hard to tell when the camera is pointed directly at the guitarist, but im 99% sure that ive seen zakk anchor when playing parts of speedball. Anyone else noticed that?
He does anchor sometimes, but only when it's completely necessary. When he's playing really fast licks he's completely unanchored.
Anyway, I recommend this thread gets closed before it becomes an even bigger argument, I've gotten my answers, thanks guys!

kevinw: Shh.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Page 1 of 2