Page 1 of 6
so i was sittin on the crapper reading a blender and i was wondering something....

lets think back to when kurt cobain was alive and strumming. He of course was a god of his music and everybody has the plenty of respect for him. of course people say he was one of the pioneers of grunge music...i say maybe not but who cares about that. but just think...if he were alive do u think he would have made one shitty album and gotten flamed hard for it never to recover.

im saying this in comparison to fred durst. i strongly believe that if he would have just died after significant other...he would have let a legacy similar to that of kurt.

now before you guys start flaming me for comparing the two...change your perspective and forget about your hatred for fred and really think. would kurt be as great if he were alive...?
Reading a blender?

What the?

"Oh yes, look at that blending, I can see the strawberries slowly turning into a juicey kind of thing..."

Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

He IS alive..

According to some people...
Quote by urik

Homosexual sex for $200?
Be honest.
I'd do it. I think that I could stand one night with a man for the financial security of my whole life and the life of my children
And no I'm not gay. I'm 100% straight.

Quote by mesa5150
spoken like a true jew
Blender is a music magazine...not actually a blender...although that would be quite hilarious
Quote by insideac
No, I saw his suicide pic. That hole was real.

Are you sure?
You never know with technology...
Where's this pic?
I've never seen it....

(I am joking, he's dead as a door nail...)

But I need to see this pic...
Quote by urik

Homosexual sex for $200?
Be honest.
I'd do it. I think that I could stand one night with a man for the financial security of my whole life and the life of my children
And no I'm not gay. I'm 100% straight.

Quote by mesa5150
spoken like a true jew
If he was still alive he wouldn't be half the idol he is to some people. He would just be another old "musician" still trying to cling onto his famous living by releasing really shitty "comeback" albums that suck.
I'm done
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
i think a lot of people who die are made out to be 'gods' when in actual fact, although they were great songwriters/musicians, were not 'gods'. look at dimebag.

i have a lot of respect for the great musicians who have sadly passed away (and most of them too young as well), but once they are gone, people do big them up too much IMO.

and im pretty sure people have never thought that highly of fred durst.
Quote by redwing_suck
If he were alive, I'd hire somebody else to kill him.

Dammit, who let Courtney Love join UG?
the lesser known of the 4
His reputation was made mostly by him dying. If he hadnt died he would be remembered, but not in as high regard as he is now.
"Their fate is in each others hands as they decide whether to share... or to shaft"
Robert Kilroy-Silk from his sadly shortlived quiz-show Shafted.

Member Number 7 of the Frank Zappa Appreciation Club. PM chocolatguitar to join.
Quote by The Powerslave
His reputation was made mostly by him dying. If he hadnt died he would be remembered, but not in as high regard as he is now.

Same with Sublime.
If we was alive I think he would have quit Nirvana, bitch slapped everyone in peral jam, and started some solo emo project... So it's a good thing that he's gone because nobody likes the emo kids
yea if he was still alive I would still think he has mediocre boring music with an annoying vopice. Every band has a bad album or 2 eventually so Im sure of it.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
You guys should read "Killing Yourself To Live" by Chuck Klosterman. It's about rock stars who all died young before they had a chance to go downhill, and how they become immortal. People like Kurt, Jimi, SRV, anyone who died in their prime.
MG Free At Last
Quote by indie-bassist
If he was still alive he wouldn't be half the idol he is to some people. He would just be another old "musician" still trying to cling onto his famous living by releasing really shitty "comeback" albums that suck.
I'm done

I agree totally. I mean, the most famous people are dead. Dimebag Darrell and Randy Rhoads wouldn't be anywhere near as well known and respected as they are to day if they weren't dead. and nobody would know the drummer in def leppard if he had both his arms.
Quote by MightyAl
I lean towards Butthole Surfers because only a butthole would carry a surfboard around a town.

Teh Gearz:

Cruiser Stratocaster
Feng Ling G15 Amplifier
Digitech Grunge Pedal
Daphon E20PH Phaser Pedal
Quote by indie-bassist
I'm done

+1
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
kurt would have never allow himself become famous. watch "Nirvana-LIVE! TONIGHT! SOLD OUT! and u you will understand how he felt when he was alive
if he was alive i'd make sure he was dead
Quote by Inahrima

Kirk: you know what would be hardcore?
James: what?
Kirk: metallica nail polish!
James:

Quote by grimreaper65

'Scuse me, i'm going to go listen to some black metal bands sing about black people. Then some grindcore about coffee.
Foo fighters wouldent exist.....obviosly =p.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
you raise an interesting point...if kurt was alive my ears wouldn't have to deal with the pain of listening to foo fighters every time my sister turns on the radio...damn her mainstream music tastes...
Quote by Inahrima

Kirk: you know what would be hardcore?
James: what?
Kirk: metallica nail polish!
James:

Quote by grimreaper65

'Scuse me, i'm going to go listen to some black metal bands sing about black people. Then some grindcore about coffee.
foo fighters > nirvana

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by stratele
Foo fighters wouldent exist.....obviosly =p.

oh man that would be sweet

if kurt was still alive i would be happy, as dave grohl would still be "just a drummer" and kurt would be failing on his comeback tours

sweet sweet world it would be
Fissh demands you cease this faggotry at once!
Quote by NOtrab
kurt would have never allow himself become famous. watch "Nirvana-LIVE! TONIGHT! SOLD OUT! and u you will understand how he felt when he was alive

I watched it today!

How great is it when they play Smells Like Teen Spirit to a back track and half the time his hands aren't on the guitar and Chris's bass is in the air

EDIT: And Kurt would not make come back albums or have a come back tour, because artists do that for money and fame, which was not what Kurt was about.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
^thats from top of the pops. the live tonight sold out is a completely different gig

i think

or is the DVD a collection of random videos?

Quote by metaldud536

Last edited by IndieMetalhead at Jan 8, 2007,
Fuck Kurt Cobain. What a whiner.

"Boo-hoo, I have millions upon millions of dollars and a secure future for my family for many generations to come, I think I'll wallow in my self-pity and kill myself."

Nirvana had some okay songs, but Kurt Cobain just sucked.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by IndieMetalhead
^thats from top of the pops. the live tonight sold out is a completely different gig

i think

its a collectionof a bunch of vids
Quote by IndieMetalhead

i think

The DVD is called Live Tonight....bleh bleh, but it has all different clips from different shows. In fact, to my dismay they jump to a clip of the same song in the middle of the song in a different venue more than once.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
This thread is so sad. How can you compare Fred Durst to the icon of the early 90s?
Quote by ss311
This thread is so sad. How can you compare Fred Durst to the icon of the early 90s?

Like this:

Guys what do you think about Fred Durst in comparison to Kurt Cobain?

See?
People saying Kurt wasn't about fame and money. Isn't that really why he released nevermind? So that it would appeal to a more mass market. Isn't that why he appeared on Top of the Pops? Isn't that why Nirvana regularly played Saturday Night Live, one of America's most watched shows.

Of course he was trying to hit fame. Anyone who doesn't believe that is retarded.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Quote by Derigiberble
People saying Kurt wasn't about fame and money. Isn't that really why he released nevermind? So that it would appeal to a more mass market. Isn't that why he appeared on Top of the Pops? Isn't that why Nirvana regularly played Saturday Night Live, one of America's most watched shows.

Of course he was trying to hit fame. Anyone who doesn't believe that is retarded.

How much of a say do you think Kurt had on where they played? He was one member of the band controlled by the manager, label, agent, another reason for his suicide.

Do you think he wanted to play on fucking MTV? You've seen the unplugged, he looked miserable.
I think that if Kurt was still alive,he would probably quit the music buisness,and then go live in a place nobody probably knows.

Note:
I am not bashing the poor guy right now.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Fuck Kurt Cobain. What a whiner.

"Boo-hoo, I have millions upon millions of dollars and a secure future for my family for many generations to come, I think I'll wallow in my self-pity and kill myself."

Nirvana had some okay songs, but Kurt Cobain just sucked.

Exactly.
Quote by JamesDouglas
How much of a say do you think Kurt had on where they played? He was one member of the band controlled by the manager, label, agent, another reason for his suicide.

Do you think he wanted to play on fucking MTV? You've seen the unplugged, he looked miserable.

Yeah David Geffen (the man Kurt attributes almost all his success to) was responsible for Kurt's death. He knew exactly where he was playing. He was big enough to do what he wanted by that point. He wrote the songs for Nevermind, and he played the shows to a respectable level. He was responsible.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Quote by Derigiberble
Yeah David Geffen (the man Kurt attributes almost all his success to) was responsible for Kurt's death. He knew exactly where he was playing. He was big enough to do what he wanted by that point. He wrote the songs for Nevermind, and he played the shows to a respectable level. He was responsible.

What are you talking about? The only way he couldn't do a show was to plainly refuse, in which case he would probably be kicked out the band or forced to, so he had no choice. I'm saying the fact that he thought he was going commercial, selling out, as well a herion and a ****ed up life contributed to his suicide.

You say he played things like Top of the Pops like he singed photo's of himself while promoting cerials after, apparently you haven't seen the video. He purposely false strums and keeps his hands off the guitar while playing to a back track, while singing an octave lower and changing the lyrics.

You think he cared let alone wanted fame?
Quote by insideac
I think he would have gotten pwned by all the real musicians sprouting up now. He would have been out of place. He wasnt a god either.

I don't think so. Just because he didn't have the technical ability that some musicians have, doesn't mean his legacy wouldn't have been as great. Just because you can't shred, doesn't mean you can't rock. He had some good catchy songs which also take skill to write. I like to listen to all kinds of songs, but dogging a person's music just because he couldn't shred and you can is completely stupid.
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
-Mark Twain