I had this argument with a friend of mine,he's an Ex-metalhead ,and he accused metal of having stupid,meaningless lyrics,especially with the case of the extreme genres (Death,Black).
While he told me that ,it actually came to my mind that it's true,most of the extremely ((angry)) and ((Evil)) music,there's no meaning behind it ,probably some mythologies or gory lyrics to add to the theme.

While i realize that metal focuses more on melody that lyrics,i just think it would diminish the song if it had no purpose behind it.

Im not saying there is no bands with good lyrics,there are a few that i find myself listen to the most ,bands like (Death) or (Kreator) that would sing about realistic stuff ,and still be able to achieve great musically ,i know that there's also alot more that i havent listened to yet.

What do you think about metal lyrics,and are there any bands that you listen to that have realistic lyrics ?
Wolv
A lot of metal lyrics are pretty bad.... Infact most are.

But there are a good amount of bands who write good shit. Agalloch, Lykathea Aflame, Meshuggah, Death (Later), Dark Tranquillity etc.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Cynic, Scar Symmetry, Arsis, (later) Necrophagist, Death, Dark Tranquillity, Meshuggah, Eluveitie, and Wintersun, to name a few, all have enjoyable lyrics to me. A lot of post-metal (like Isis and Jesu, dunno exactly what genre they fall into) have pretty poetic lyrics too.

I think most metalheads would say lyrics aren't a huge factor as to whether they like a particular band or not. For me, good lyrics can only add to a song but bad lyrics won't detract anything (unless they're absolute shit).
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Metal lyrics on the whole are no worse than any other genre

Even all the gory stuff is pretty well written

it's dosnt realy matter ..

why should we try to compare metal's bad it to other genres to feel better about it,rather than try to have good lyrics
Wolv
Doom lyrics > the rest
(exceptions apply)
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
TBH I don't give a **** about lyrics. I'm all in for the melodies.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
alot of metal bands do use lyrics that have meaning. two good examples is the Nevermore sings alot about the mass corperations and things like that and older inflames like Whoracle and Colony are about humans abusing the Earth and how it will lead to our downfall. Most bands don't just put songs with pointless lyrics because most and i say MOST care about there music and that includeds the words.
Raise Your Hand If you Like:

3 inches of blood
Amon Amarth
Coheed and Cambria
Death Cab For Cutie
Every Time I Die
I Killed the Prom Queen
In Flames
Pride Tiger

My cousins band from Vancouver-NWOBCHM- myspace.com/scarstruckmetalband
There are an exceptional few bands with good lyrics, period. The ratio in metal are about the same as in any other genre, really...
Every genre has it's lyrical history. A specific music genre needs to have the lyrics that fit to the music. Wouldnt it be a little awkward and stupid if for example Cannibal Corpse played the music they do but with lyrics concerning love and care ? Or deicide singing about Jesus ?
Or wouldnt it be also stupid if a pop artist sang about gore ?

Tell your friend that if he isnt a metalhead anymore he shouldnt accuse the genre just cause HE thinks its stupid. He shouldnt ask questions about the lyrics because that's how they should be done and written despite the fact half of the people dont understand it or they persecute it and accuse it for various pussy reasons.

I like them how they are done, I like the lyrics regardless of how vile and gruesome they can be sometimes.
Thats the meaning of these genres anyway.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by Necrolust
Wouldnt it be a little awkward and stupid if for example Cannibal Corpse played the music they do but with lyrics concerning love and care ? Or deicide singing about Jesus ?
Or wouldnt it be also stupid if a pop artist sang about gore ?

you cant speak for me, im so comfortable with my unholy brutality that i could find great enjoyment in all of those scenarios you mentioned. in fact ive fantasized about it.
Quote by BlkGuitarRedCar
I am glad to see that you hate everyone and not just Christians.
scar symmetry and nevermore have had some of the best lyrics ive ever read. but i dont pay much attention to lyrics.
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
Lamb of God have great lyrics, Meshuggah, and many other bands like the ones people have said before me.

And other genres have terrible lyrics too, just because they're not gory or aggressive, it doesn't mean they aren't bad, just listen to the radio.
you will fight death as you slowly realize...
Personally I don't care about the lyrics all that much, but I'll go look at what the band is actually writing about and if it's too corny, sometimes it gets in the way of me liking the song/band. Specifically, I was listening to Quo Vadis - Dead Man's Diary and even though the chorus was so good, the lyrics for it were just pure corn imo. If the lyrics are about gore, then they CAN be written well (CC )
I've found Jesus
Quote by Spynal
Doom lyrics > the rest
(exceptions apply)

I was about to say that bastard! lol
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......?
....\__________.?
People say Opeth's lyrics suck, and that Mikael Akerfeldt of just abuses a thesaurus.

I say they're idiots.

Also, Agalloch.
Quote by Scourge441
People say Opeth's lyrics suck, and that Mikael Akerfeldt of just abuses a thesaurus.

I say they're idiots.

Also, Agalloch.

OH NO YOU DI'INT!!!
i think opeth can sometimes be a bit too melodramatic, same with some doom metal bands. on the whole theyre amazing but ahem

nevermore springs to mind when i think of exellent lyrics. the imagery created by the lyrics and symbolic metaphors really provokes feelings in you such as disgust (pigs, worms)
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]