Hey guys,

I'm torn at the moment... Really torn with amps. I'm looking a new amp to replace my Marshall VS-100 (shudders). I've tried a bunch of amps and I'm having a real tough time. I've tried loads of amps (Single and Dual Recs, a bunch of Laneys, a bunch of Marshalls, a bunch of ENGLs, and a 6505) and I've found things I like but I'm not there.

Basically the problem I ran into was this; the lower-gain, middier amps that I tried like the Marshalls didn't quite have enough gain to them, and lacked bass response that I wanted. However, they had the bite and clarity that I loved, especially the JCM-800, real nice clean, clear distortion.

And the high-gain amps had all the voicing and tone I could long for, bassy and rich and full, but they were just too aggresive/gainy and lacked the clarity of the others. In essence, what I want falls somewhere between the two! (Dammit!)

I liked the ENGLs I tried a LOT, the Fireball and the Powerball, but I had the gain on around 3 and it was still too much, I couldn't get a clear, clean distortion, but I just loved the way it was voiced and it's tone. The Marshall JCM-800 (the only one I really liked, tried the TSL-60 and JCM-900 and didn't like them), at first didn't grab me, but then I used it with an Ibanez TS-808 and I started to like it. It sounded like a lower gain ENGL with more clarity.

I'm starting to think that tone I want is a really really driven lower-gain amp, rather than a high-gain amp. Furthermore, I'm swapping my stock pickups for Bareknuckle Miracle Mans, which will give me a lot more gain before the amp.

So, in essence my question is this; should I go for a JCM-800, put the Bareknuckles in, perhaps get an EQ pedal to boost the bass before the amp, and get a good OD pedal to really drive the amp?

I loved the tone of the ENGL and Peavey, but it seems all the bands whose tone I like (Alexisonfire, Moneen, Story of the Year, Thrice, etc) all use Marshalls, especially JCM-800s, with a heckload of pre-amp boost (pickups and OD pedals)... Will this work for me?
Last edited by jimmy_fowler at Jan 8, 2007,
Well, I think the jcm 800 would be a good way to go, but how high do you put the gain on it? All the way up? If so, it might not be the best, because that leaves you no headroom, but try the ENGL with a eq pedal to clean it up a bit first, because the hearoom will be great on that.
Ok, well:

Not quite as high gain as this, but this is the kind of riffs I play (it's a little too saturated for me gain-wise, but I like the bass response) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYEVR1HtTPM

I like the growl and tone on this song (but I play a bit more chugging style riffs than this, so I'd need an eency bit more gain) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYEVR1HtTPM

The riff at 2:05 is exactly the sort of thing I play and shows the clarity for chugging that I like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nexiLqxypI8

Hope that helps!

EDIT: I haven't had a chance to try the Laney GH-100L either, which is a very similar one-channel amp, should I look at that too?
definitely look at the laney. also, if you have that kind of money to invest, try looking at the Framus Cobra. that's the exact amp that KsE uses. others options might be Krank, Madison Divinity, Rivera, or a JCM800-900 with a Tube Screamer or other overdrive pedal.
I don't think I've got quite enough for that... I'm in England, so they Laney would cost me around £400 and a used Marshall JCM-800 around £500-600...

What overdrive pedal might you recommend?
Tube Screamer reissue, Digitech Bad Monkey (i have one of these, and they're phenomenal--especially for $30!), Boss SD-1, DOD Juicebox, and Proco Rat II (vintage issue with the LM308 IC chip)

there are a host of really cool, boutique overdrive pedals that'll work really well, but the vast majority of them are all Tube Screamer clones. the list above should be a good starting place for you.
IMO the TS (OD) 808 is the king for what you want to do.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
have you tried some of the lower-gain engls, like the blackmore, savage or screamer?

if you don't like those, you're probably stuck with boosting a lower gain amp- or else look into something like splawn, soldano, something like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i was thinking of this too, im really into the cranked sound of a low gain amp sounding amazing right now, but at the same time i do like a lot gain, would the laney or a marshall JCM800-900 be good with a tubescreamer? for high gain stuff?
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
Last edited by Stooja at Jan 8, 2007,
ok, as a general guideline FOR ME:

Push Low Gain for tubes
back off high gain for SS

Yes, the JCM800 or 900 will work with the tubescreamer.
But yes, if you want a lower gain amp, then you should get a booster pedaol too.,
just FYI, here're a couple bands that use OD pedals into Marshalls:

The Toadies (Tube Screamer into a JCM 900)
Gin Blossoms (Tube Screamer into a JMP 100)
Pearl Jam (Tube Screamer into a Plexi)
Danzig (Tube Screamer into a Plexi)
Zakk Wylde (SD-1 into a JCM 800)
Graham Coxon (Rat into DSL100)

i don't know if you like or appreciate any of the artists mentioned but at least you know that it can be done (and done well)
Here's a tip for the ENGLs (and other high gain amps): roll down the volume on your guitar.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
If you like SOTY's sound...dont they use DSL/TSLs and PRS guitars? Live they do I think. Idk..
Oh yeah, bout that Voodoo mod, are they good ??

I heard they mod Mesas also ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Laneys are very nice quality for the price for us UK people, GH100 might do the trick for you - also have you played a TT series? it's what I've settled for after trying several other options (though it doesn't seem my search was as extensive as yours ), and I'm quite happy with it.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
The TT is actually a good amp to be "pushed" cuz the GH has to much preamp gain IMO...

Keep the faith, baby!!
Yeah TT is not as gainey as the GH, especially on the preamp side. Can get quite a lot of drive if pushed though, prolly about the same as the GH? Ive only played a cranked GH once and briefly, so can't really compare..
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Last edited by ar73m at Jan 9, 2007,
A cranked TT is better than a quite but preamp-gained-up GH.... trust me I've heard those two before...... side by side..... a 50wat TT and a GH100L, TT cranked, the moment I was going to crank the GH, the shop owner came and told me to quite the f*ck up.........

Anyway, ..... they're suited for different styles, the GH for heavier ones....

But..... there ain't no style that wouldn't sound better with tons amp POWER AMP saturation !! YEAH !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
I tried a TT and wasn't overly keen on it. I'm pissed off actually, cos I drove all the way to the guitar store (about 30 miles from me ) to find they'd sold their last JCM-800, and they didn't think they'd get any DSLs in for a while because Marshall are cutting back production (because of the new amps, and also because apparently they're being forced to replace some parts because they're not eco-friendly or some shit). Grrrrr. 60 mile round trip for no amp testing!
Did you get the chance to crank it ?? or Boost it ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
Try running a JCM800 head with a recto cab, they give more bass response. Then boost it with an OD of some sort, and if that's still not bassy enough try the Voodoo mod. Perhaps the head voodoo modded with a mesa cab would sound nice.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language