Hi there. This is the first pedal I'm going to be making and it's going to be out of wood. Well the case. I have to make the case. I'm not sure what a good pedal to start off with would be. I've never done it before. I need ALL the info and how to build a case. I have to build the case from scratch. If you guys can help me that would be awesome. I am keeping this simple because I don't have a lot of time.

Thanks and I will be back on later to talk more in detail, as I have to go to work right now.
Cheers,

Mike

EDIT: and yes I will be putting the wiring in later, I just need to know what a good pedal that won't be to hard is so that I can build the case for it now.
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
A good pedal that's not too hard would be a Fuzz Face. There are many versions to be found, even one that runs on 1 transistor.

A wooden box...hmm...the problem with a wooden box is that it won't be as solid as a cast metal one. There's a reason why pedals are made of steel: you STEP on the them. A wooden box wouldn't be as strong...you need some tough joints with good glue.

You might wanna use some pretty thick wood aswell. Not just 4mm plywood that you get in hardware stores.
It would be pretty hard to make dovetails on something the size of a pedal, but I guess it would work. And also have a square stick on the inside of every corner.

EDIT: If you want a pedal that you can step on, you can probably buy metal enclosures in hardware strores where you live. If that doesn't work, try some metal dinnerware, like small bowls or those butter boxes (dunno what they're called, but I've seen some steel ones).
Last edited by sashki at Jan 8, 2007,
fuzz face is fairly easy, but a line booster would be easier (LPB1), and the inside of the case will need to be shielded, you'll probably have to reinforce the area around the stomp switch with battons in contact with bot the top and bottom of the box. when you finish the electrics, fit everything in the box, and then stick in as many dowel columns as will go in there vertically. After that buy some sheilding tape and shield the entire inside of the box, then fit everything and check that there are no components touching the shielding, other than things like pot casings or jack sockets. then.. be gentle.

"You're a MESS!"
You know, you're better off making a wooden "head" rather than a pedal. I wouldn't step on something wooden. Just make one that sits on top of your amp or something.

Sorry for posting so much
If you wanted to make a wooden pedal, use solid bits of hardwood and laminate them together. Then route a cavity from the underside to hold the wiring, and make a plastic/wood/metal plate to secure onto the bottom. You can use conductive tape to shield the inside, just by overlapping layers and joining them together. Dumble used to make pedals the same way. Have a look at these: http://mrdwab.com/john/Pedals.html
If you're not that great with the electronics, you could just build a channel switcher (to swap channels or reverb on your amp) or an ABY box (to swap between to guitars or two amps)
Hmm, maybe get an enclosure, like the hammond one, and build a box of wood around it. the top layer could be thin, to allo pots and switches and so on.
TEchnically I don't want to make a pedal out of wood, I just need to make one out of it so that I get a design mark for school. I have already the case for a pedal I can order, I'm just trying to find out what the cheapest and easiest way to go is. Thanks for the replys so far.
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp