Ok I thought I had pinch harmonics down quite good, but I cant seem to get that 'squeal' sound that some bands can get. I'm thinking like Killswitch Engage, Zakk Wylde, the song 4 Words by Bullet for my Valentine (yeah, gay but its an example)..

Is it just something they do with their EQ that gets them to sound that way? I do a pinch harmonic with my thumb and add vibrato and all i get is a higher sounding screech, not that really 'smooth' sounding squeal. Is there anything in terms of technique or amp set up that gets that sound?
what kind of gear are you using and how high do you have your gain set?
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
well i usually have just my jackson guitar, i guess its worth noting that i only have passive pickups on the thing. i also just use my crappy little practice amp, but ive tried it on my peavey 6505 head/marshall 1960av set up and im still not gettin it with gain very high. could it be the pickups?
Quote by piratefdu
could it be the pickups?

not very likely, unless you are using single coils or have the coil tap switch on.

just keep trying, from the sounds of it you might just not be getting enough gain, but if it isn't the gain it's most likely technique
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
i'd LOVE to be able to do pinch harmonics like killswitch do

ive got a rough idea how to do the harmonics, but i want to know how to get the proper sort of "wail" out of them aswell :/
Top lel.
I'll try using more gain. I could be wrong but I dont think its my technique, because I can pull off pinch harmonics from different bands, like the song Damage Done by Dark Tranquillity or stuff from Norther, just cant to seem to pull off that epic squeal sound.
practice makes perfect *and lots of gain will help you get the wail*

as for as zak wylde, he uses his amp's gain as well as an overdrive pedal, so that's got help somewhat
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
really high distortion/gain. just practice at it and you'll get it. but think, bands can digitally "improve" their pinch sound in a studio. so that could be why you cant get the perfect sound.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Thicker pick indeed. But I have my gain usually on 6-7 (Although I run my distortion through a pedal on the clean channel) and I can get solid pinch harmonics; I used to be completely horrible at them, it's probably your technique that needs a bit of working on.
Bridge pickup, high gain, and most importantly: TECHNIQUE! Keep practicing, you'll get it down.

A nice tip though: If you'll notice, most pinches done by guys like Dime and Zakk don't have vibrato thrown on right away. They usually hold it for just a little bit, and then throw it around. Hell, that's good advice for vibrato in general.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I hear everyone talking about how Dime did all this pinch harmonic stuff... where is it? I have Pantara's Far Beyond Driven... I'm not really seeing the pinch harmonics in this, did he do any or am I just not listening for the right kinda sqeaching and squealing? Or is he not on that particular album or what? (as I'm trying to figure out what the "perfect" Pinch Harmonic sounds like...
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Well, look at Cemetery Gates. You don't necessarily notice them, but he pinch harmonics all throughout the interlude near the beginning, and chorus.
or Cowboys From Hell right after the solo. and what Dime did for his signature squeals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TpYcA9bSaU
Quote by Joey Walker
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps

Quote by Shib
The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
All I have of dime is FBD... It's got some cool ideas, but I find planet caverns to be the only "good one" on it... woh, that was off topic...:

Hmmm... Any pointers to songs on fbd?

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Listen to Billy Gibbon's playing, particularly the solos. He's the master of PH's. Also, Andy Aledort has several videos where he does an excellent job of explaining the technique.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Here's a trick to find out if the problem is with your gear or with you yourself.
Make a natural harmonic on the 3rd fret of the low E string (Just touch the string, don't fret it completely). Pick near the bridge with the bridge pickup selected and give it a lot of vibrato. Make sure you don't fret the string when you're doing the vibrato. If it sounds just like a regular pinch harmonic would, then there's no problem with your gear.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Quote by greenwgreg
Listen to Billy Gibbon's playing, particularly the solos. He's the master of PH's. Also, Andy Aledort has several videos where he does an excellent job of explaining the technique.

Woo! ZZ Top!
Is it in a Guitar World mag that Andy Aledort explains that? If so, which issue?
There's a good video here:
http://www.guitarplayertv.com/

You could get a compressor. A compressor basically evens out the sound levels a bit. Hard picking gets taken down a bit in volume, and quieter stuff, like pinch harmonics will be made louder.
i can do it on my practice amp, if you have a metal distortion pedal it's waayy easier

but pretty much just use more gain
Quote by cheekynibbler
because guitars and women go hand in hand... unless your a raging homosexual or find animals more appealing then people

Quote by terrencemaddox
is it weird to rub your own nips while humping...if youre a dude?
Quote by Pleiadian
Here's a trick to find out if the problem is with your gear or with you yourself.
Make a natural harmonic on the 3rd fret of the low E string (Just touch the string, don't fret it completely). Pick near the bridge with the bridge pickup selected and give it a lot of vibrato .

Sorry but dont you have to be fretting to do vibrato? or do you mean using the tremolo?? i assume thats what you mean but im a bit confused as to whether thats what ya actually ment?

Thanks
Quote by rebelmidget
your pubes are like the amazon rainforest and your body is planet earth. trim a little here and there and your life will be more comfortable
but cut down the whole damn forest and mother nature is going to cut you

Nope, I can vibrato a natural harmonic, but only when it's low down on the neck, like the 3rd fret for example.
I can make a natural harmonic with vibrato and you won't be able to tell the difference between it and a pinch harmonic.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
^Or more commonly called "nut bending" OUCH! OOOH! DAMN, DON'T BEND MY NUT! THAT HURT U BITCH!

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
A good way to get the more "raunchy" sounding PH like Zakk Wylde is to not just pick the string that you are pinching. Zakk gets that sound he has because he strums down with his pick and THEN does a pinch harmonic. Like so:

|----------|
|----------|
|---3~~-|
|---x-----|
|---x-----|
|---x-----|

He does the strum very quick so it's not even noticable unless you watch him do it.
I don't know if someone else said it, but, two words.
EMG PICKUPS.
They make everything a Zakk pinch
Gore AND Core; unite!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Actually, the secret to his pinch harmonics is his wah pedal. According to a Guitar One Interview with him.

I've seen/heard him do his sig Pinches without his wah, i know he uses it on his Studio recordings at times for the extra effect but other than that he doesnt use it for his squeels.
This hasn't been mentioned yet so what the hell: it could be that you're just not getting the right harmonic.

If you do pinch harmonics try moving your pick hand up and down the string, the closer to the bridge you go the higher pitch you'll get, and the opposite is also true, move your hand towards the nut and you'll get lower ones, some will be louder than others too, so it might just be that the ones you're getting aren't the right ones.

Oh and while i think about it, you really do have to hit the strings quite hard, harder than you do to get a normal note, so try putting some more muscle behind striking the string too.
For my pinch harmonics I literally pinch the string as opposed to nicking it with my thumb. its much easier and I very rarely miss the harmonic note.

is this bad?
Quote by Manjinken
For my pinch harmonics I literally pinch the string as opposed to nicking it with my thumb. its much easier and I very rarely miss the harmonic note.

is this bad?

Whatever works for ya man. People's techniques and playing styles are all different, dont let anyone tell you any differently.
Quote by My_World_Ablaze
A good way to get the more "raunchy" sounding PH like Zakk Wylde is to not just pick the string that you are pinching. Zakk gets that sound he has because he strums down with his pick and THEN does a pinch harmonic. Like so:

|----------|
|----------|
|---3~~-|
|---x-----|
|---x-----|
|---x-----|

He does the strum very quick so it's not even noticable unless you watch him do it.

Isn't that called raking??