what would be a good dark sounding chord progression?
Quote by insideac
Think of it like this, if a lesbian were truly a lesbian, then why would they use dildos and vibrators?

LOLOLOLOL!
Try building a chord progression off of the phrygian mode (if you want something more menacing) or the aeolian mode (if you want something sad)

The chords in each are...

Phrygian: Minor - Major - Major - Minor - Diminished - Major - Minor
Aeolian: Minor - Diminished - Major - Minor - Minor - Major - Major
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jan 8, 2007,
thanks, so that would go with basically any chord.. ?? can u show me an example for aeolian?
Quote by insideac
Think of it like this, if a lesbian were truly a lesbian, then why would they use dildos and vibrators?

LOLOLOLOL!
Quote by NightRyder
thanks, so that would go with basically any chord.. ?? can u show me an example for aeolian?

Let's go with A aeolian, since it contains no sharps or flats.
A Aeolian contains the notes: ABCDEFG

The chords you can use are therefore...

A Minor - B Diminished - C Major - D Minor - E Minor - F Major - G Major

If you want to use, say a typical I-IV-V progression, it would go: A Minor - D Minor - E Minor

I've found that Aeolian progressions in which the V chord resolves to the I chord tend to want to sound Ionian, so you might want to avoid that (Though if you like the sound, go for it. There are no rules in theory)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
if i wanted 4 chords.. would going lets say.. A minor to D Minor to F Major to uhm G Major or B Diminished?
Quote by insideac

LOLOLOLOL!
f# a f
its the bassline to the halloween theme tune but it sounds pretty evil and i doubt anyone will recognise it.
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
lol
Quote by insideac

LOLOLOLOL!
Quote by NightRyder
lol

...yes
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
- make a riff containing a flat 5 interval somewhere...it will sound dark and nasty
Use chords that contain notes of the locrian scale. If you dont know what the locrian sclae is... there is a lesson on modes in the scales section of lessons.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
F#dim-Cmaj-Bmin-Gmaj
I'm also a fan of: F#dim-Gmaj-Bmin-Gmaj
Especially, if you have 2 guitarist, have em play 2 different progressions but begin and end on the same chord (or better yet, end on different chords for more dissonance)
Hope I helped