Page 1 of 2
The original intent, especially in classical music, of any bass instrument in most any form of music that I can name has been to support leading and driving leads and rhythms; it was supposed to provide support so that things would seem thicker and more powerful. What's an electric guitar tone without a little bass in there to give it color?

I'm sure that we can all recognize that the bass just isn't cutting it as simply being called a 'bass' anymore. After all, it does more than to serve as a bass these days. To name a few: Wooten, Claypool, and Pastorius. We often find that they not only use their bass actually takes the place of the guitar.

We can't kid ourselves. A guitar and a bass are magical together. However, both have proven themselves to have extreme individual potentiol with the latter being the one that doesn't get credit where credit is due.

Lets face it; the bass isn't JUST a bass anymore. It's capable of doing everything any other instrument can on its own. We all know it. I know I'm just stating the obvious.

If it's not a bass.. then what is it? Why call it a bass?
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
[/moment of clarity]

Quote by Jaffaps2
It's meant to reflect Clapton's career, starts off good but then turns into a piece of shit.

The Lord has done mighty things with his right hand
Psalms chapter 118, verse 12
coz its a bass guitar.....? Just coz i havent got laid in years doesnt mean my dick isnt a dick, i just use it in different ways...
riiiiiiiight....
gear:
Custom built Strat
Esp ltd EC-1000
Gibson les paul fadded dc
Line 6 spider II 30watt
Boss Ds1, DD6,Tu-2, NS
Alvarez af60ckelectro/acoustic
Wasn't the bass designed as an amplified small scale Double Bass, thats why a bass' aren't actually in the guitar family.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Intresting argument...bassists don't tend to get as much recognition as the guitarist in bands, from non musical type people, for example I would always choose flea over frusciante (sp?...see I don't even care enough) talent-wise, wheras someone who didnt play an instrument may not (then again they may, and I know plenty of guitarists who would pick frusciante over flea)...not sure why the chili peppers...However I always thought that a bass was used to link the rhythm section to the melody part (i.e. in a modern sense drums and guitar). Ah well. There's nothing wrong with a bass taking lead though...heh in something im writing I have two basses a 'classic' bass and a solo bass (as like with rhythm and lead guitars). An I think it's because bass isn't always given the credit it's due that it has evolved in a new direction.

To answer the question, really a bass is called a bass, and always will be because thats what it is. Yeah I know that it's a rhetorical question.
From Wikipedia:

Nomenclature

The instrument is called a "bass guitar" (bass (IPA: [beɪs]) rhyming with "face"), "electric bass guitar," "electric bass," or simply "bass."

In the 1950s and 1960s, the term "Fender bass" was widely used to describe the bass guitar, due to Fender's early dominance in the market for mass-produced bass guitars. However, the term "electric bass" began replacing "Fender bass" in the late 1960s, as evidenced by the title of Carol Kaye's popular bass instructional book in 1969 (How to Play the Electric Bass) and the use of the term "electric bass" by U.S. musicians' unions.

My comment:
Its called a BASS because it plays in the BASS clef or lower octaves, just as a singer is called a BASS (singer).
...it's called a bass because it needs a freaking name. Call it a gazdool if you care to, I won't stop you.

This thread is pointless, if you want to debate etymology, go to an etymology forum (and then link me to it, I'd be impressed if there is one).
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
... who gives a ****? you play it, not talk about it
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by anarkee
From Wikipedia:

Nomenclature

The instrument is called a "bass guitar" (bass (IPA: [beɪs]) rhyming with "face"), "electric bass guitar," "electric bass," or simply "bass."

In the 1950s and 1960s, the term "Fender bass" was widely used to describe the bass guitar, due to Fender's early dominance in the market for mass-produced bass guitars. However, the term "electric bass" began replacing "Fender bass" in the late 1960s, as evidenced by the title of Carol Kaye's popular bass instructional book in 1969 (How to Play the Electric Bass) and the use of the term "electric bass" by U.S. musicians' unions.

My comment:
Its called a BASS because it plays in the BASS clef or lower octaves, just as a singer is called a BASS (singer).

X2
As my guitarist would say: "It is called bass because it is basic. Bass -> Bassic"

That boy is a tit, but a very good guitarist :
I call my bass "sexy", but what I do in the dark confines of my bedroom are my own business.

Bass guitar is what it will always be called, if you must, name your bass something unique or special to you, or even better, something that suits it...(i.e. my RickenMonster.)
www.myspace.com/boisebass <- slap demo
MSN = Fox_NP

GIGRIG
Mesa Titan V12, Ampeg 8x10E, Korg DTR2000, Sennheiser freePORT Wireless.

BASSES
'74 RickenMonster, Fernandes Retrospect Deluxe, ABG.
Quote by Atreideslegend
Just coz i havent got laid in years doesnt mean my dick isnt a dick, i just use it in different ways...

Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
Quote by Atreideslegend
coz its a bass guitar.....? Just coz i havent got laid in years doesnt mean my dick isnt a dick, i just use it in different ways...

oh wow, imma sig that.

but anyways. the instruments change has come just has music has changed. i mean, guitar used to be just acoustic stuff, and a lot of chords, ya know(forgive me if i'm wrong, idk the history of it). but now, look at it, its come to where a lot of bands nowadays are having guitar solos out there asses. So if guitar has changed, well, there's no reason that bass cant change too.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
Quote by canadianpunk071
...it's called a bass because it needs a freaking name. Call it a gazdool if you care to, I won't stop you.

This thread is pointless, if you want to debate etymology, go to an etymology forum (and then link me to it, I'd be impressed if there is one).

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1048

enjoy... lol
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0

Well, it's not an etymology forum, per se, but I'm still impressed. Good job! *presents hero cookie*

Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

sweet i get a hero cookie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
It still plays on bass clef, it still has bass range, why NOT call it a bass?

This topic fails at logic. I mean, really badly. This topic sucks, and is now about trains.

Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club. PM mountaindew88 to join.
Trains are pretty awesome. I'm going to Japan in a little over a week, and I'll be going on a lot of them. More countries need convenient train travel.
if you want a thread about trains piss off to the pit
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Trains and subways are the way to travel. I'd like to do the Trans-Canadian route sometime, my cousin did it a few years back and raved about the trip.

I rode the trains / subways in NYC when I lived there, but my favorite system is the London Underground. Just wished it ran 24/7 like NYs. I hear its an engineering issue.
Yes. Travel before marriage. My mother said live life to the fullest and do what you want to before you commit. And see the world, which I covered a good part of Europe over a few summers. Canada was close to where I went to college, so I did alot of road trips.

I moved to California a few years back from the New York Metro area. Love it out here, but miss the whole cultural experience of the Big Apple.

I would recommend the travel experience to anyone. I came away with some great experiences and some life long friendships.
Wow, now on to trains lol. I'm pretty sure the threadstarter was just trying to say the bass guitar was almost like an evolutionary step in bass instruments as it's no longer a drive to music but can be completely on top.
and if you want to tie the two together you could purchase the following:

Country Bass Guitar Made Easy
[MLB854] $17.95US
Country Bass Guitar Made Easy
Larry McCabe
ISBN: 0786644168

This book/CD set teaches the basics of country bass playing in a fun, “quick access” format, In a minimum amount of time, you will learn the bass part to 22 popular traditional songs including train songs.
My plan is to travel as well before I really get tied down to something. Got a long while left yet, but it never hurts to plan early.

Of course, I'll take a lot of trains. It's like a plane, except with less risk of possible airborne fiery death. That and you see more scenery, instead of more clouds.
^ Actually...statistically it is safer to fly than to travel by train. Though I suppose AIRBORNE fiery death, as you so fear, wouldn't occur on a train (unless perhaps it chugged right over a cliff).

Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Quote by canadianpunk071
^ Actually...statistically it is safer to fly than to travel by train. Though I suppose AIRBORNE fiery death, as you so fear, wouldn't occur on a train (unless perhaps it chugged right over a cliff).

Yeah I meant more airborne fiery death. This reminds me of a conversation I had with my teacher on a train in Japan..

Me: "so how often do these things crash?"
Teacher: "about once every three years or so"
Me: "hah. when was the last accident?"
Teacher: "about three years ago"
Me and rest of classmates: *gulp*
I'm sure I'll get my traveling in when I drive with my band around the U.S. looking for gigs in a few years.
Bass is my life.
the best underground system i have been to is the metro in madrid, spain. clean, cheap, fast, big stations. the london underground is a piece of shit compared to that.

the best trains have got to be those ones in Japan that hover above the lines on magnets.. that shit is the shit.

anyway, on topic.

Bass has evolved, yes. But is has been evolving for hundreds of years. when you listen to classical music you can see that people like Bach were using the bass differently even back then. the fact is has been amplified and made with strings on a guitar shaped piece of wood doesnt change what it is or what it can do.

There are no rules in music. Simple.
Quote by seek_&_destroy
... who gives a ****? you play it, not talk about it

Why is there a bass forum then?
Quote by Anthony5555
Why is there a bass forum then?

so we can talk about trains of course
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^ I love trains one day I want to ride across canada in a train it's supposed to be uber beautiful

Not to mention uber expensive.
Quote by Applehead
so we can talk about trains of course

And if you put a funky bass line to it, we could justify it as a SOUL TRAIN....
Page 1 of 2