Yes its happening to me...the dreaded pinky lol. Anyways i need some excercises that REALLY focus on the pinky. Got any?

(A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music)

BUY MY DW 7002 DOUBLE BASS PEDAL
use it for EVERYTHING, try to replace things you would do with your ring finger with your pinky finger, i know thicker heavier gauged strings helped me gain immense pinky strength. also its been said a million times before but the 1234 chromatic run is good exercise too.
Glad to see your living the 4 finger dream.

Fret walk with only fingers 3+4.

So, 3rd finger gets the 1st fret and the 4th finger gets the 2nd. You just walk up and down as if your fingers were legs tight rope walking hehe.

You'll feel the burn bigtime, dont push yourself to hard. Give it 3 weeks and you'll be amazed at the strenth and control you've gained.
If you're really serious about playing guitar and want to take it somewhere, drop the $10-15 on a Gripmaster at MusiciansFriend.com. I was having troubles with my pinky and got a light tension gripmaster(without roughrider callus caps, its optional) and I'm already noticing bounds of improvement. Its definitely worth the cash.
Quote by ProphetikPsycho
If you're really serious about playing guitar and want to take it somewhere, drop the $10-15 on a Gripmaster at MusiciansFriend.com. I was having troubles with my pinky and got a light tension gripmaster(without roughrider callus caps, its optional) and I'm already noticing bounds of improvement. Its definitely worth the cash.

No muscle memory is gained from it, no control. Just strenth.

If you keep at the guitar neck and guitar neck only. You'll get all round better gains.

If you a guy theres a better substitute for a grip master, i'll say no more.
Quote by Preid
Glad to see your living the 4 finger dream.

Fret walk with only fingers 3+4.

So, 3rd finger gets the 1st fret and the 4th finger gets the 2nd. You just walk up and down as if your fingers were legs tight rope walking hehe.

You'll feel the burn bigtime, dont push yourself to hard. Give it 3 weeks and you'll be amazed at the strenth and control you've gained.

lol what do u mean by four finger dream? is it good or bad

(A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music)

I'd say sweeping helps.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Can't you make your own exercises? Sorry if i sound too much like an ass but seriously, is it that hard to write out a simple exercise for yourself? If your pinky is weak, then write out a little exercise that will work it out.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by abcdboy
I'd say sweeping helps.

Sweeping usually doesnt involved the pinky, arpeggio's dont use it. Well not maj/minor. Thats a shitty suggestion tbh.

Making your own exercises? Nah, might be fault ridden.

The four finger dream my friend, is using all 4 fingers, and not just 3 and stretching. You really limit yourself with 3 fingers and i cant stand the guys that size up with their crappy 3 finger pull offs.

Try out the fret walking and get back to me on how its working out.
Quote by Preid

Can you please give me an example of how that could happen? I'm just curious because I really can't think of a way.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Can you please give me an example of how that could happen? I'm just curious because I really can't think of a way.

If you made your own exercises up, say using just 3 fingers. Theres a fault right there.

If you decided your exercise should stay up at one part of the neck, theres your second fault.

Goes on like that.

Im classically trianed, i look for perfection. So sue me.
I guess i just figured that little things like that wouldn't be a problem.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Preid
Sweeping usually doesnt involved the pinky, arpeggio's dont use it. Well not maj/minor. Thats a shitty suggestion tbh.

The four finger dream my friend, is using all 4 fingers, and not just 3 and stretching. You really limit yourself with 3 fingers and i cant stand the guys that size up with their crappy 3 finger pull offs.

I've never not seen anyone use their pinky. I actually think it's a neccesity to utilize. Buy a bass... that'll definately take your pinky from cookie dough to stone. I've become such a better guitarist after buying a bass.
Quote by PTSBThackray
I've never not seen anyone use their pinky. I actually think it's a neccesity to utilize. Buy a bass... that'll definately take your pinky from cookie dough to stone. I've become such a better guitarist after buying a bass.

I agree with the bass. Take a look on youtube bro, theres some 3 finger players that think they are god.

Just eats me seeing them tuck their pinky away like its useless! Theres a dumpy kid doing some van halen that really gets my blood boiling. (no offence if your on here).
Quote by PTSBThackray

This isn't my place to talk but I would think that sweeping would improve pinky (and all other fingers for that matter) accuracy rather than pinky strength, which is what the threadstarter is looking for.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
This isn't my place to talk but I would think that sweeping would improve pinky (and all other fingers for that matter) accuracy rather than pinky strength, which is what the threadstarter is looking for.

You cant just sweep...

If you just go as fast as you can with weak fingers its going to sound crap, probably hurt and have little benefit.

Fret walking is a solid way to build up speed, strenth and accuracy. Scales and slow arpeggio's until you can do them without thinking. Then unleash some sweeping
I think you are sticking to your user title too much.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
I think you are sticking to your user title too much.

Read it again

Aint what you think, metal sucks btw.
^keep ur opinions to yourself, wtf is wrong with metal?

and just replace stuff that you would normally play with your ring finger with your pinky. Play chromatic scales, play anything that will involve the pinky and just build speed. Speed usually = strength. Just make sure everythings in time or your pinky will be ****ed. (I know i play drums and my left foot was ****ed in time for SOO LONG.)

pepsi
Yikes, this has turned into a brawl. But im going to go with Preid here. Just simple exercises will help. Also, sweep picking cannot be done by everyone. In fact not many.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Thanks Preid...il get back to you on how its coming along.

To add, if you're playing something that spans four frets, stick to one finger to a fret; that will force your pinky to be used.

Also, it depends on how you do your power chords; two or three notes? If two, use your index (or even middle for extra fun) and pinky finger. If three, use your index, ring and pinky.

I've gotten out of the habit of barring power chords for a long while, after having fun with barre chords.
Quote by Preid

Necrophagist sweeps involve the pinky.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Play the hell out of power chords with your pointer and pinky. I've got a nice nugget of meat on the side of my hand now from that. My pinky is out of this world, its great.
Read it in the newspaper
Ask your girlfriends and see if they know
That my strength is tenfold, girl
I'll let you see it if you want to before you go
Fret walk on the 3rd and 4th fingers, right up the fretboard, as someone has already suggested. theres no real quick fixes. Just practice practice practice :-)
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Would it be normal if my pinky tends to point towards my index finger, instead of going straight out? (when I play, not when I hold my hand normally)
I still do have a decent range, (about six frets).
Quote by Preid
If you made your own exercises up, say using just 3 fingers. Theres a fault right there.

If you decided your exercise should stay up at one part of the neck, theres your second fault.

Goes on like that.

Im classically trianed, i look for perfection. So sue me.

You don't need to have an elitist attitude. It doesn't take "classical training" to know how to make an exercise my friend.

Anyway to threadstarter..

Try System of a Downs BYOB, just before the chorus all of the riffs are barred power chrods which you need to use your pinky to reach. It will force you to hold down 3 strings at once with your pinky if you play it fast enough. It will help.

Quote by Preid
Read it again

Aint what you think, metal sucks btw.

There we go. You're an over opinionated elitist. The music world needs more people like you
Last edited by The way to hate at Jan 10, 2007,
Quote by The way to hate

There we go. You're an over opinionated elitist. The music world needs more people like you

Thanks, couldnt agree more

I love this place
chromatics w/ 3,4 figner ...
sinlge finger bends on chromaitcs (bend the note with only 1 finger, no others to assisit it)
trills w/ finger 1 4 ... 2 4 ... 3 4
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info