noob question: whats the point of a 12 string guitar?? i never actually knew, and the jimmy page double neck is awesome, but i have no idea what the 12 strings are used for
well n00b........each string is doubled up an octave except for the b and high e string which are just doubled the same...sure itll take you double the time to tune...but the sound will be well worth it
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
some 12 strings are just a guitar with two of each strings.. it gives it more fullfilling sound.. the double neck are a different story as you can use it to have two different tunning for example standard and drop D... hope that helped
it's tuned like a 6 string, but each of the regular strings has a second string tuned one octave above it.
so the doubleneck you're talking about has one neck with the regular 6 strings, and the second neck with the extra octaves
yeah, i've got gear too...
squier strat
squier tele
Ibanez rg4ex
Boss DS-1
Morely Bad Horsie Wah
Digitech Hot Head
Boss GE-7
Zoom G1X
Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express
Vox AD50vt
wikipedia says:

The twelve string guitar is an acoustic or electric guitar with twelve strings, which produces a richer, more ringing tone than a standard six string guitar. The strings are placed in courses of two strings each that are usually played together. The two strings in each bass course are normally tuned an octave apart, while each pair of strings in the treble courses is tuned in unison.

and yeah.
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.