...physics theory, that is. If you dont like physics, the door is that way. So i was thinking today on some hardcore physics and thought that the earth isn't actually rotating. We know that the effects of the gravity on the surfaces of the planets are partly counterbalanced by the centrifugal force produced by their rotation. Does this mean that if a planet rotates at a critical speed, its gravity and its centrifugal force will become equal and opposite, cancelling each other? Would this occur over all the planet or only at the equator?

What would hypothetic astronauts on the planet feel? And what if the planet's rotation speed was greater than the critical speed? Would a hypothetic astronaut on that planet feel a negative gravity force? Would he "fall up"? Or maybe the tidal forces would be so great to dismember the planet? If we suppose that the planet is strong enough to resist the tidal forces, what would happen to a spacecraft trying to land on the planet? I think that everything would seem normal for it, but when it touches the ground it would be violently thrown away by the planet.

I think it's a valid theory.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Twist of fate
Wait....which way is the door?

Follow me, thats where Im going.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
So many thread with "I have this theory..." Everyone one more insane than the last!

Also, the word is "Hypothetical" Hi-po-thet-i-cal.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I do quite like physics but right now I'm drunk. I can't completely understand what you are saying therefore. The fact that the earth has gravity shows that the moon rotates around us. However, "falling up" is the best idea ever. Keep on thinking physics, it's badass.
I don't think they're counterbalanced, the centrifugal force simulates gravity in many ways, but we are still acted upon by gravity. The net force of the two is what holds us down. And negative gravity is impossible, because it would mean the mass creating the gravity has a negative mass.
Quote by scheck006
Meh! is such a hippocrit

Your spelling is painful to behold.

And the centrifugal force and gravity do not operate in the same direction, so I doubt they would cancel out.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I had a theory that they are stealing water. Put it in some soil and.....it disappears!
Quote by scheck006
Meh! is such a hippocrit

I not an hippo
I dunno, dude... The world somehow works as it does, there's no need to convince everyone that it actually works in a different way. You're theory makes sense only on the surface, whereas it lacks sense in its core. There are some critical mistakes in it. Ok, I'm out the door now
for rent
Ok so since no one else will answer... (not a physicist)

I think you have a point, but gravity from the center mass will still pull things towards the planet anyway, and if that wasn't true, there'd be no planet. So while you've got something, I would imagine that gravity would be more than enough to counterbalance the rotation speed issue.
ok unlike all the idiots here i get what you're saying. Its a valid theory but still not proven. you need proof if you want that theory to go anywhere. which im hoping you do instead of just laying around your house thnking of these things. otherwise you would just have no life.

edit: referring to the idiots wisecracking
Last edited by GOD*OF*ROCK at Jan 8, 2007,
Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK
ok unlike all the idiots here i get what you're saying. Its a valid theory but still not proven. you need proof if you want that theory to go anywhere. which im hoping you do instead of just laying around your house thnking of these things. otherwise you would just have no life.

I have some proof!

*Proof* <----look-see, you wan't the proof? you want it?

Go fetch

*throws proof*

Warning "Proof" may or may not mean "stick"
Quote by _Mayday_
He wants you to crit his comment!

I NOT AN HIPPO!

Now go away before I maul you with my massive maw as I run at you surprisingly fast for such a large hip- BLAST!
if the centrifugal force was greater than the planets gravity then any one who landed with less mass than that required for gravity to counterbalance the outward force would be thrown from the planet, it would feel like being thrown away, i doubt it would feel like reverse gravity, because you would still feel gravity to a degree. Also I image such a planet may have a hard time staying in orbit since the centrifugal force would act against the gravity from the start holding it in orbit,it also wouldnt have any moons so there would be almost no tidal force to speak of.. if the two forces (gravity and Centrifugal) balanced out evenly, then the planet would effectively have zero gravity. and no moons and would also have difficulty staying in ordit if it could stay in orbit at all.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
hmmm.. I dont know if that would happen but its a good thought... and if the forces cancel each other out then the soil and not only the object would repel.. send me a privet about that.. wont you?
Isn't the rotation speed determined by the amount of matter when the planet is forming? Therefore the planets gravity is proportional to the rotation speed?
Quote by scheck006
Isn't the rotation speed determined by the amount of matter when the planet is forming? Therefore the planets gravity is proportional to the rotation speed?

in theory it is, but itspossible that something could exert a great deal of centripetal force on the planet to cause it to rotate faster than normal, like for example a really big asteroid, or superman flying around the earth really really fast.

Last.fm
I'm pretty sure that there's no such thing as "centrifugal force", i.e. a force acting in the opposite direction from the centre of a circle/sphere. It is actually a "centripetal force" that exists; a force acting directly towards the centre of a circle/sphere.

Does this effect your theory at all?

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but I'm quite certain I'm right.
"I didn't know there were ninjas in Japan, did you?"

"Ninjas aren't dangerous. They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

Beating Hearts Baby
there is a centrifugal force, centripetal force is a force acting on an object that causes it to move in a circular path inwards, for example the suns gravity exerts centripetal force on the earth.

Centrifugal force is kind of weird because it has a lot to do with non-inertial reference frames which im not going to explain right now.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 8, 2007,
Even though we treat it and it appears as if it were real, centrifugal force doesn't actually exist. It is just easier to use it as a real force.
"I didn't know there were ninjas in Japan, did you?"

"Ninjas aren't dangerous. They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

Beating Hearts Baby
jeez. i can't wait for physics class. i dont understand half the crap anyone just said.
-Nick
yes that is true, however, since the earth is rotating the effect that it would have is still real, its merely another way at looking at the acceleration caused by the earths rotation, so his use of it in this theory is valid.

Quote by Unscathed
jeez. i can't wait for physics class. i dont understand half the crap anyone just said.

if you arent really into this sort of thing, you probably dont want to know.

Last.fm
Quote by Lama
I'm pretty sure that there's no such thing as "centrifugal force", i.e. a force acting in the opposite direction from the centre of a circle/sphere. It is actually a "centripetal force" that exists; a force acting directly towards the centre of a circle/sphere.

Does this effect your theory at all?

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but I'm quite certain I'm right.

you are right. sorry to shoot down the theory... but centrifugal force doesn't actually exist.
Quote by rockon1824
I don't quite understand what you're saying but if the earth wasn't rotating how would day change to night?

because we all know that the sun revolves around the earth and that galileo was a moron.

Quote by pb&guitar
you are right. sorry to shoot down the theory... but centrifugal force doesn't actually exist.

as i said, centrifugal force in this case would be used as the acceleration due to a planets rotation, although it is not real so to speak it is valid in physics for certain things. this theory is one thing in which its use would be valid.

Last.fm
Quote by _Mayday_
I had a theory that they are stealing water. Put it in some soil and.....it disappears!

I have a theory that you stole that from family guy.
^
I love physics and love it when people come up with new ideas like you did. But the earth is rotating, thats why the stars in the sky change over the course of a year. The paterns of the sun and stares position change over the course of 365 days. And will do it over and over again year after year the same way every time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres a thought which will one day put me in history books. Light can only travel in 3 dimensions, the 4th dimension is "time" which travels infinitely through out. Thats why light can not travel faster than time, and or if it does, has to travel through another dimension. So in theory humans can not time travel.

So now think, if light only travels in 3 dimensions there could be hundreds more which we live in every day but can not see.
www.Savetoby.com

Help Save Toby By Clicking Link Above!!!!!
Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

edit: referring to the idiots wisecracking

Centrifugal force holds perople onto the planet, as does gravity. The force of our rotating doesn't tend to make us move away from the earths center, but towards it. That is one of the reasons we don't float off into space. The two forces aren't opposed. As for negative gravity, no, because we know that the force of gravity (F) =G(gravitational constant of the universe)m1(object 1)m2(object 2)d(the distance between the two objects). G cannot have another value, and the only way that the force would be negative (repulsive rather than attractive) would be if one of the masses or the distance between the two objects is negative, which is impossible due to basic logic and heisenberg's uncertainty principle (quantum mechanics, i know).