im saving up for a new guitar im thinking before going into a shop that my best bet is a SG or a Les Paul but i will need to play them as i havnt for a while.

but which do you think is better???

Alot of people say the Gibson SG '61 reissue is better than the Les Paul standard.

please done be stupid and say something like oh yeah the Angus youg signiture is the best or the Slash signiture is the best be serious im not $$$LOADED$$$

thanks
Why dont you go try them out? And when it comes down to it, the decision is ultimately yours, and its going to be your guitar so yeh. Personally I like les paul's but if you're looking for more fret access the SG is better.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
Personally I think SG's are a complete waste of money. However the quality to price ratio for a les paul is completely rediculus, they are still really nice. Everyone has their own opinions towards certain guitars so you really have to try them out for yourself as our opinion can differ greatly.
Well the SG's are good guitars, and generally (slightly) cheaper. They offer good fret access too, but they don't have the sustain (Woo!) of the Les Paul.

Try them both out, but the '61 SG is a damned good guitar.
The Angus signature is cheaper than a Les Paul standard. I haven't tried an un-modified SG'61 Reissue. But from why I have seen Les Pauls sound more percise.

SGs are lighter and get a lot more of a hard rock sound, and the fret board is much shorter. Really it is all just preference.
You gotta love a nice lespaul classic, I had 2. In my point of view it gives a way better sound. The bad thing is that they are too heavy and SG's are soo light.
If you are a person that plays a lot on stage and does crazy shit it is better an SG because of the weight.
My Gear:
  • Fender Stevie Ray Vaughan (SRV) Signature guitar
  • Ibanez Jem 7VWH
  • Ibanez JS1000BP (Satch signature)
  • Marhsall TSL 122 Combo amp
  • T.C. Electronic G-System
  • Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
  • Ibanez Tube Screamer T-808
Just one big question, what type of music do you play?
My Gear:
  • Ibanez Jem 7VWH
Quote by joejames007
Just one big question, what type of music do you play?

Yo you can't spell its gibson les paul!!!
Yo you can't spell its gibson les paul!!!

Hahaha just one spelling mistake man, chill I've had 2 of them, a Slash signature which was 109 in production (low serial number) and a classic limited edition so don't come around feeling all important because I had a goddamn spelling mistake. I know what I'm talking about, instead of ****ing around with me why dont you give some advice to this dude?
My Gear:
  • Ibanez Jem 7VWH
Two completely different guitars man... what kind of stuff are you looking to do with it???
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
sgs have a thin body and lps have a thick body.... preference, all preference
I own 2 les paul customs (one's a black beauty) and a custom shop SG.
The SG's my favorite guitar to play, but my tone is best on the pauls.

Here are my noted differences between the CUSTOM SG and the CUSTOM LP
1. SG is obviously lighter.
2. The SG's fretboard is fatter. (this is why i love it!)
3. The LP's fretboard feels more smooth. Almost like the difference between a fretboard with FASTFRET and one without.
4. The SG's tone is thinner and less versitile. (BUT STILL AMAZING!)
5. SG - Maestro vs. LP - Whammyless
I had a Standard first and then got a SG. I hardly ever play the Standard anymore. The SG has it beat for a lot of reasons, mainly it sounds great and is easier to play. It's also half the price.The LP Standard just looks pretty hanging on my wall. Go for the SG.
oooh thats a tough one...i love em both....LPs a little bit more.
unless you wear your guitar down to your knees like a fag, LPs have pretty normal fret access.
and they just look so much better.
but its your choice, theyre both VERY good guitars.
my two favs in the world.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
I would rather go with a Les Paul, im a big guy, so the big size and feel of the Les Paul would be more comfortable for me.

An LP is more versitile as well.
I prefer the SG. I just has more style and character than the LP, although I like alot of Les Paul players such as Jimmy Page over most SG players.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Les paul has more sustain and a heavier tone with somewhat less capability for good treble compared to the SG.

The SG is significantly easier to play (partially due to fret access) and is lighter, both in actual weight and tone, which results in less sustain.
I dig LPs more than SGs. I own a LP and my buddy bought an SG, so I tried his guitar out a couple of times. I like the weight distribution on the LP a lot better, even though the SG is lighter. Also, the tone from both guitars can be pretty good, but of course I prefer the LP.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Ok thanks guys this is huge help.

well i play most styles of music depending on my mood:
Punk(The Offspring)
classic rock(Hendrix)
Modern rock(Chili peppers)
metal(Metallica)
Blues and funk but i have a fender tele for that so thats not a problem

but i main use for one of these guitars will be Punk/Rock
LP for that.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/shakespeareJF/d.jpg[/img]
'Music is the face of God' - John Frusciante
Consider how long you're going to stand there and play before you get a break. If you're not going to put the guitar down for two and a half hours, then the SG way be the wiser desicion.
Don't listen to people saying you get a lot less sutain with an SG. I have an SG, and it gets plenty of sustain. Any difference of loss of sustain between an LP and an SG is pretty much negligible. You won't even notice.
Personally, I love the SG. Just get straplocks, cause it IS neck heavy. Also, try one out in the store...the neck is kinda thick, but I have huge hands, so it all works out, really.
Quote by danzig-_-
oooh thats a tough one...i love em both....LPs a little bit more.
unless you wear your guitar down to your knees like a fag, LPs have pretty normal fret access.
and they just look so much better.
but its your choice, theyre both VERY good guitars.
my two favs in the world.

I was gunna bitch you out for your sig.......

..... but how can i stay mad at a Danzig fan....
The answer to your question is:

Whatever you like best.

Honestly, people like different things, you may not like what everyone says, try them yourself.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30