Alright, first of all, I'm a pedal noob. I've got a Crybaby, and that's it. So I honestly have no idea what to buy.

I play in a rock band whose influences include RHCP and the Distillers. We'll be playing a ton of classic rock too.

I play on a really crappy Crate bundle amp, but I've got a fairly nice Fender Stratocaster with Humbuckers. (I think. Any way to tell what kind they are? I honestly can't remember, but pretty sure I've got HBs.)

I was looking at some distortion pedals, namely the Tube Screamer TS808 and TS9, but I honestly don't know what the difference is between them. I want a pedal that will give me a wide range of tones, because we play a pretty wide range of stuff.

I was also looking at the Electro Harmonix Big Muff, because someone told me that it would give me the tone Frusciante has in a lot of the Pepper's solos, namely Dani California.

Any tips for a pedal noob? There's no way my parents will get me a new amp for my birthday, but they agreed to a pedal. What should I get?
A Strat has single-coil pickups. Also, I would recommend the Big Muff if your are into classic rock. I'm not sure about the Tube Screamer, though many people love it.
those are 2 completely different pedals. Check out some BOSS products like The DS-2 Turbo Distortion which is what John Frusciante uses as well as the Big Muff. Ive Played the big muff and Im not the biggest fan of it. The tube screamer is an overdrive pedal but I have heard it is more of a Boost pedal than an overdrive.
I'd say to get the tubescreamer. If you're looking to boost your gain while soloing, or to just give your overall sound more overdrive, the tubescreamer will help greatly. I've never played on the Big Muff, although I know what it can do. Either one is pretty good. If it were up to me though, I'd get the TS9.
Quote by De_Stijl01
A Strat has single-coil pickups.

Not all strats have single-coils. Some have a bridge humbucker and two singles and some have two humbuckers
i'd stray away from the tubescreamer.... it's not that great on a SS amp. big muff is a good pedal. more a marshally tone try the guvnor plus.
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
yea id go for the big muff or any other EHX stuff, i actually think john useda or still does you EHX stuff on his board, but dont count me on it.
They are different pedals. The Tube Screamer is a tube drive/gain sound. Real crisp and pure. The Big Muff is more dirty and saturated. I love the TS808. A must have pedal for all players.