Ahh! I need help.
Im a saxophone player, as of right now im on the Tenor Sax for the school bands. Im alright, but i would be way better if i wasn't using crappy, school provided horns. Which is why i want to buy my own sax.

Now my question to the other sax players out there, what are some decent brands of saxophone that i should look in to? A good sound isn't a huge priority, seeing as how im on a limited budget of a few hundred dollars. So, what should i look in to for the money i have?

please help.
thanks.
-Nick
i play tenor as well. i own a yamaha and its pretty good. selmers are good if you can find one at a cheap price. but yamaha is the best for a cheap sax. just let me know if you have any more questions.
beat me to it ^

yamaha are usualy the best value for money, for people with a low budget
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let people have guns ...why should we let them have ideas?
--Joseph Stalin
I have a really expensive Buffet Alto Sax.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

i need a sax player for my band, but only one song: "21st Century Schizoid Man" by King Crimson. anyone interested? PM me. i live around Washington DC area
Quote by devilscruffs14
i need a sax player for my band, but only one song: "21st Century Schizoid Man" by King Crimson. anyone interested? PM me. i live around Washington DC area

i would if you pay for my plane ticket
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let people have guns ...why should we let them have ideas?
--Joseph Stalin
for a "few hundred dollars" which i'm assuming means less than about 500, you're not going to find anything better than the old school horn... chances are all it needs is a re-pad, and maybe an alignment.

Anything worth your money is going to be in the low thousands or more... my mediocre alto was 1500 new 9 years ago, and tenors are more expensive than altos.

As far as it "playing better" pick up a selmer C* mouthpiece, a rovner ligature, and some decent reeds, (I personally reccomend Vandoren Javas) and you'll be amazed how easy it is to play compared to now.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Yamaha are good. but i don't know how bad the school one is. Remember a bad musician blames his/her instrument.
Quote by Musicman48858
for a "few hundred dollars" which i'm assuming means less than about 500, you're not going to find anything better than the old school horn... chances are all it needs is a re-pad, and maybe an alignment.

Anything worth your money is going to be in the low thousands or more... my mediocre alto was 1500 new 9 years ago, and tenors are more expensive than altos.

As far as it "playing better" pick up a selmer C* mouthpiece, a rovner ligature, and some decent reeds, (I personally reccomend Vandoren Javas) and you'll be amazed how easy it is to play compared to now.

hm..Well, i have a decent mouthpiece. It's basically the yamaha equivilent of the Selmer C*. I have the C* on my alto, and im trying different reeds, so far the best thats worked for me, are the Rico Royal size 2. Although Vandoren are good as well.

Anyways, i was on ebay looking at saxophones, and they have some nice looking ones, for a little bit of money. They have seven day send-back warranty things, so incase i dont like the sound or how it plays or something i can send it back for a full refund, minus shipping costs. Sounds like a good idea to me, but should i be weary of ebay items?

and to kilbie: i dont think im a bad musician. if im playing a crappy instrument, its a crappy instrument. And plus they're school horns, so they've been used by countless amounts of people. I mean, it used to work well, but gradually got worse. I hope its not something ive been doing.
-Nick
Last edited by Unscathed at Jan 8, 2007,
gah, i've tried to type this three times, and stupid IE has died on me all three times.

Here's the short version..

I know that mouthpiece, it's good enough, but the selmer is better.

You need better reeds than Rico Royals for a good tone... but if you like them, it's your call. Rule of thumb, if a box of reeds costs less than 20 bucks or so for 10, not good.

You really should switch to harder reeds, i reccomend at least 3's if not 3.5s... you'll get a warmer, more responsive tone, but it will hurt your mouth for a few weeks to switch.

You should also make sure you have a good ligature, like one of the new vandoren ones, or a rovner leather one. this will give you a more open tone, with even pressure on the reed, and make the extremes of your range easier to play.

as far as the ebay saxes go, they're not worth the money. It will have all the problems of the old one, and that will be the best it ever is, it will just get worse. It would be like buying a nice shiney new Squier and thinking it will play better than the old beat up vintage strat that needs a little work on the action and intonation. Schools buy decent horns... they don't buy crappy ones, but they let the good ones get into a state of disrepair. Get it fixed, and you'll be a happy camper. I learned on a Conn that was actually made in 1920... trust me, old horns can be quality, if they're fixed up.

In the meantime, save up for a used Selmer III, it will be expensive, but if you mean to keep at this sax thing, it's worth it.

Oh, and for the love of god, if you get a good horn.... don't march with it. marching kills horns. Mine's been marched with for 6 years, and it's almost dead... it's only 9 years old
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Last edited by Musicman48858 at Jan 8, 2007,
Quote by Musicman48858

Oh, and for the love of god, if you get a good horn.... don't march with it. marching kills horns. Mine's been marched with for 6 years, and it's almost dead... it's only 9 years old

That i can agree with on a personal basis. I had an alto for 3 years and used it for marching for 2 years. between rain , kids not knowing how to turn, being dropped off loading trucks, going across the atlantic ocean the thing took a beating until i took it to my local shop last week to get repadded and instead of replacing it they gave me a slightly used vito for free because i bought the other saxophone from them .