Well to make this short and simple, my friend who's new to guitar is really into Korn and other bands like that but he's unable to play a lot of that kind of music because he has a six string and tuning down to A on the low E is just too much (well it sounded bad to me anyway). I suggested to him that he buy a pack of seven strings and just string the bottom six strings however would this work? Would the strings fit in the incisions in the nut properly and would he need to get his guitar setup? Thank you all for any advice.
Guitar
Jackson DKMGT with semour duncan pickups
Peavey Classic 30 (upgraded speaker)
Digitech Digidelay
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
Dunlop wah
Boss DS-1
Bass
Rogue LX400 pro- 4 string bass
Rogue RB60 60 watt bass combo
Uhh... You want to put 7 strings on a guitar that's capacity is 6... Trust me, just buy a 7-string guitar... You'd save a lot more money that way.
get a baritone? a beginner? ha! just get heavier strings...you might need to file the nut a little, but otherwise they'd be fine...
:I Sorry, I just understood what you meant. Yeah, if you want, you could do that. You'd be missing out on the high e though.
get heavier strings, at least 58, the zakk wylde GHS set is like 11-60 i think or just use a 7 string set and leave of the high E
Quote by Keef-is-king
just get 14 gauge strings, it'll work fine.

Perhaps his intination is flat out bad tuned down low?
I really like how no one reads the first post....

Quote by Zuka
:I Sorry, I just understood what you meant. Yeah, if you want, you could do that. You'd be missing out on the high e though.

Yeah, and the tone might be a little off.

But he's playing Nu-Metal, so i guess it doesn't matter anyway.
you can just buy a heavier gauge of string. like 12's or 13's. then when you drop it down to b or a, it won't sound like crap.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by Neogioh
I really like how no one reads the first post....

Yeah, and the tone might be a little off.

But he's playing Nu-Metal, so i guess it doesn't matter anyway.

we did, getting heavier strings is just cheaper solution

although a longer scale increases string tension, so baritones are better for low tunings (due to their longer scale lengths)