I recently purchased a Peavey ValveKing amp head and Cab...and I'm begginning to wish I hadent. Don't get me wrong it's great equipment...but I can't get the tone I want out of it. I sounds great for hard rock, blues stuff and all that...but I cant get the METAL sound out of it. I'm wondering if it's just me or does this amp just not get really heavy distortion....

Help me out somebody.
If I't can't get really heavy I'ma take it back....but I don't know yet....
Have you cranked it yet?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
a Valve King is a blues and classic rock amp so if you got it hoping for heavy metal sounds, i feel kinda bad that you wasted all that money. I suggest getting a distortion pedal...
About half volume...then my dad started yelling at me....but it still didn't quite have the tone I wanted, even though it seems the louder it gets the more distortion it had....but maybe it's just me.
That figures.
The guy at the store got it to sound pretty heavy...tricky bastard.
mine soudns heavy enough for me ... o welll ... get a od pedel
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
NO DISTORTION PEDALS! Put an overdrive (the badmonkey is rather cheap) in front with the level set high and push your amp into metal territory. This sounds much better than dimed distortion pedals (or amps).
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
scooping the mids will help too, not everyones cup of tea but a lot of metal heads do it.
Sounds like you need to learn how to use a tube amp. I've had mine for a while and sometimes it's a little overkill for the music I play.

Also, I found it funny alot of old heads on here have alot of hate to say about the new tube amp that came out, kills for the price, and is rock solid peavey fare. It's not a triple rec, but for the price it's amazing. Maybe someone feels a little resentful that they just laid down 2 or 3 G's for their dream tube amp, and now this tube amp makes owning a all tube amp very very affordable.

Just my 2 cents.
Quote by joining_heads
NO DISTORTION PEDALS! Put an overdrive (the badmonkey is rather cheap) in front with the level set high and push your amp into metal territory. This sounds much better than dimed distortion pedals (or amps).

I agree, I do the same. I have the VK100 with a Randall 412 cab with Greenbacks. I use the Bad Monkey overdrive myself although, I get plenty of distortion without it. I tried a MT-2 in front of it, no way! Sounds better without. The Bad Monkey fattens up the sound for me.
By the way, you might want to consider a Hot Plate, so you can crank the amp and keep the volume at a lower level for practice, etc.
Quote by joining_heads

i use a metal muff with my tube amp and it sounds great. of course on my amp an overdrive will only get it into classic rock territory.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Change the tubes. I run Tung Sol 12ax7's in the preamp section and get major gain.
Well, the head should be higher gain than the 112 combo, also, the VK speakers are shite. That may be your problem.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra