Page 1 of 2
Hi
I looked and looked, but cant find any thread about who to listen to for good bass playing? Can u guyz suggest any bands whose CDs i could listen to for bass inspiration? Keep the format like this:

Red Hot Chili Peppers (Flea)
Iron Maiden (Steve Harris)
Alter Bridge (Brian Marshall)

Ok I know Brian Marshall is not at par with Jaco, Flea, Harris, Cliff Burton etc. but I like his work. Please suggest the bands, I know the names of the greats, but dont know where to find their work? Plz contriute. THanks.
Question of the year!!
Quote by Hells_Bell
Would you rather take it in the ass and eat cake, or suck **** and sit on a cake?
Geddy Lee (Rush) and Les Claypool (Primus) if you like some funky stuff (from what I've heard, it's some funky stuff.
Dirk Lance in Incubus' earlier albums.

Most notably Fungus Amoungous and SCIENCE. The newer albums don't have Dirk and his amazing funk/hiphop skills.

Geddy Lee in any Rush album ever.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Les Claypool
My Gear:
Shecter C-1+
Hohener Acoustic
Sound Gear sg305dx Bass
Homemade 2x12 Cabinet loaded with Eminence
Texas Heat Speakers
Epi Valve Junior Head
and as soon as it ships
from Musiciansfriend a EH Metal Muff
weather report is jaco, but ull prolly only find records for him...

isnt that guy from rush really good?

EDIT: yeah geddy lee....i forgot
Quote by ROCK=ZEPPELIN
Coheed & Cambria (Mic Todd)

Second'd....Coheed will never be the same without Mic Todd
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
John Myung from Dream Theater is an asome prog. metal bassist with a 6 string bass.
Bass is my life.
Quote by Confused4930
Second'd....Coheed will never be the same without Mic Todd

Amen to that. Well, we'll just have to see what happens. New album due in September!
Nikolas
Thanks guyz. Yea I have the Dream Theater stuff. I'll see if I can find the above stated bands. What about Cliff Burton? I know he played in many bands. Can u plz tell me the album names for each band he played in? THanks for the quick response ppl.
Question of the year!!
Quote by Hells_Bell
Would you rather take it in the ass and eat cake, or suck **** and sit on a cake?
Here.

Dave Allen (Gang of Four) - Entertainment!
Joe Lally (Fugazi) - Red Medicine
Mike Watt (fIREHOSE, Minutemen) - Ragin', Full on, What makes a man start fires.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Last edited by Yertle at Jan 8, 2007,
If you like Dream Theater, you'll probably like Symphony X. Thomas Miller-era Symphony X had pretty good basslines with the occasional "bass shredding" interlude between passages of the song. Mike Lepond's bass work isn't half bad, either.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
marus miller :P
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Tool- Justin Chancellor
Béla Fleck and the Flecktones- Victor Wooten I feel he works really well with this group of musicians
Stanley Clarke's solo work
Not exactly a technical revolutionary but John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin has a bunch of groovy stuff
Quote by ROCK=ZEPPELIN
Amen to that. Well, we'll just have to see what happens. New album due in September!

really?

can't wait
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Billy Sheehan (G3 live at tokyo) - cool bass shred
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Stuart Zender's bass lines for early Jamiroquai albums (Emergency On Planet Earth, Space Cowboy) are awesome!

And Cliff Burton played in a band called The Agents Of Misfortune i think before he joined Metallica, and again as 99.9% of bass players will tell you he was a savage bass player!

And as i think was already mentioned Alex Katunich (Dirk Lance); Incubus's ex bass player. His bass lines on the early Incubus albums were awesome, i think hes in a band called Willie's Nerve Clinic now.

So those three bass players should keep you learning for a year or two
Bass Guitars:
Warwick - Corvette $$
Gibson Thunderbird IV
Tanglewood - Warrior II
Stagg - Semi Acoustic Bass

Amp:
Behringer BX3000T Head
Behringer BB115 Cabinet
Justin Chancellor is most definitely one of my favorite bassists.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Myself, duh.

I listen to-

The Sleeping- Believe What We Tell You, Questions and Answers (both are amazing albums) They are a prog/post hardcore band from NY. I love these guys.

Incubus- Well, every album. I like the work Ben and Dirk have done. They both know how to groove.

Sublime-Any album. Why you ask? 'Cause it's Eric Wilson, that's why.

Stu Hamm- Go on youtube and type in Stu Hamm and watch the solo that's from a live performance, it's around 6:04, it's incredible, it has his rendition of Moonlight Sonata.

Jaco- I just pretty much search YouTube since I don't own any Jaco..sadly...

Gorilla Biscuits- Any album. Good old fashioned hardcore/punk bass playing.

Fear Before the March of Flames- Odd How People Shake and Art Damage ( I haven't heard much of the new album) Great bassist, OHPS has some crazy bass playing, as does Art Damage, but I think I prefer OHPS.

Everytime I Die- Any album. For when I feel like playing some gnarly southern hardcore/rock, awesome grooves, heavy, but fun. It's like party-core.

The Fall of Troy- Any album. Listen and tell me you'd think they were a 3 piece band. Their bassist does a great job filling the space left when there's only 1 guitarist.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by Kutanmoogle

+1
My gear:
-No Brand Classical Guitar
-Squier Stratocaster Affinity Series
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Boss GT-8
-Boss DS-1
-Roland Cube 60

FREE TACOS!!!
Quote by Kutanmoogle

That was a really good show until Yngwie Malmstein tried to sing.(I beleive I spelled his name correctly.)

Wait,wrong show that was Denver,oh well.
Quote by hatebreed219

Incubus- Well, every album. I like the work Ben and Dirk have done. They both know how to groove.

What!? Im sorry but Incubus are not the same band with out Dirk, his bass lines stood out from Mike Einziger's guitar. Ben's bass lines hardly deviate at all, the only only time you hear the chap play is when the songs themselves break down to just bass n drums for a short interlude.

Ben also cant play slap so thats Incubus's early stuff shot to hell, i mean if the band were in anyway smart about replacing Dirk they would have got a bass player in who could play slap, instead they got Benny Kenny who is a guitarist and to make matters worse instead not playing Incubus's early stuff hes tries to play the slap lines with a pick!

I rest my case!
Bass Guitars:
Warwick - Corvette $$
Gibson Thunderbird IV
Tanglewood - Warrior II
Stagg - Semi Acoustic Bass

Amp:
Behringer BX3000T Head
Behringer BB115 Cabinet
I didn't say that Ben was better, or that he was even near Dirk. I'm just saying I like them both. Dirk is arguably a better bassist the Ben, but Ben doesn't turn me off of the newer Incubus stuff.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
John Myung from Dream Theater and Geddy Lee from Rush are amazing.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
Steve DiGiorgio is a damn good finger bassist. Plays/ed with loads of metal bands, Iced Earth and Testament are just two I can think of at the moment
I like a lot of Flea and Bootsy Collins Bass stuff. ANyone you guys would reccomend in the same vein as them?
Protest The Hero (Arif Mirabdolbaghi)

if you're down with Iranian bass players

Amazing bassist and a pretty damn nice guy.
www.myspace.com/boisebass <- slap demo
MSN = Fox_NP

GIGRIG
Mesa Titan V12, Ampeg 8x10E, Korg DTR2000, Sennheiser freePORT Wireless.

BASSES
'74 RickenMonster, Fernandes Retrospect Deluxe, ABG.
John Entwistle (The Who)<-------I can't believe no one said him, he's an obvious one for me!
Paul McCartney (The Beatles)
John Deacon (Queen) Okay this guy doesn't shred or play anything crazy fast, he's just really rhythmical. I actually think he's the best rock groover out there.
Martin Mendez (Opeth)
and
Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse)

Don't listen to these two if you can't take death metal.
Primus (Les Claypool)
Rush (Geddy Lee)
Yes (Chris Squire)
Weather Report (Jaco Pastorius)
Anything with Victor Wooten
Mr. Big (Billy Sheehan)
Led Zeppelin (John Paul Jones)
Mahavishnu Orchestra (cant remember bassits name)
The Who (John Entwisle)

And alot of others.
Looking for inspiration, eh? What to listen depends on what style of music you wanna play. My recomendations:

When you're looking for funk, listen to:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
- The entire Blood Sugar Sex Magik album. Some of the best bass playing by Flea. Also there are some other great songs on other RHCP albums you might wanna check out (such as Aeroplane, Can't Stop etc.), but BSSM is by far their funkiest (and the best, I might add) album to date.

Sly and the Familiy Stone
- slappidy slap, slap, pop! That's Larry Graham.

And ofc, anything by James Brown. Anything.

For metal:

Metallica
- You should DEFINITELY listen to Cliff Burton's bass work. Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets albums - listen to them. NOW! And yea, he used distortion a lot, so try not to confuse his playing with the guitar.

Black Sabbath - Geezer Butler, Cliff Burton's biggest influence. Give a listen to the songs "War Pigs" and "NIB"

Led Zeppelin
- John Paul Jones. "The Lemon Song", "Ramble On".

Guns N' Roses - Duff McKagan. "Sweet Child 'O Mine" - an awesome bass intro followed by an awesome verse and then an awesome chorus. Yup, the bass in the song is awesome And so is Slash's guitar. Definitely the best song by GN'R.

Rage Against the Machine
- Tim Commerford. Well this is actually funk metal/alt. metal, but what ever. Give a listen to "Know Your Enemy", "Wake Up", "Fistful of Steel" or actually anything by him.

Rush - Geddy Lee. Again not entirely metal. More like progressive/alt. rock. "Workin Man", "Freewill" - my favourites.

Well I could go on babbling about amazing bassists forever, but these are my recomendations.
Page 1 of 2