im trying to become a lead guitarist and ive been playing about a month now

im pretty good for a month

but im starting to learn the scales and all

how many scales should i learn and how often should i learn a new one?

i need to be ready by june

which i think i can be if i practice a lot

and also,

i dont get the relationship between same scales of different keys

ex.

g major and c major

i dont get the relationship in how they are played

or is there any?
Pfft, well, if you learn the formulae for different types of scales, you have them all.
Ive been playin leads for more than 3 years and all I know is Bb, which I learned for bass in my school band lol. Ya, scales help in developing leads and soloing, but aside from that, theyre not strictly NECESSARY at all, just useful to know
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
I would learn pentatonics first, good base for learning scales.
dont just "learn" them. u got to master them. know each one inside out, and where to play it in any key, anywhere on the fretboard. once u can do that, do it all over again, then learn a new scale. what STZ said is true. master the major/minor penatonics first. thatll open up alot of doors for ya scale wise.
Quote by RNRSoldier
Ive been playin leads for more than 3 years and all I know is Bb, which I learned for bass in my school band lol. Ya, scales help in developing leads and soloing, but aside from that, theyre not strictly NECESSARY at all, just useful to know

Good luck being a lead guitarist buddy.

OP I'd say start with the pentatonic and blues scales, and make sure you understand how to use them. Then spend a long time soloing and improvising over backing tracks. Learn them up and down the neck on each string and in different keys.

Then move onto the major and minor scales.

Then move on to harmonic minor (think that's the name).

Then start thinking about the other modes of the major scales.

If you make the effort to understand and learn the theory, then it'll make the rest of your job alot easier.

Good luck.
take theory lessons they will tell you everything you need to know because its very complicated for me to explain in text
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Learn the intervals,

T T S T T T S.

There you go, from that you can learn all 7 major modes. That's pretty much all you'll need for a long long time.
Quote by stjimmy62992

how many scales should i learn and how often should i learn a new one?

7 scales a day, no more, no less.

Maybe more.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Shredder6
take theory lessons they will tell you everything you need to know because its very complicated for me to explain in text

I found this site very useful when I was learning theory:
http://www.scenicnewengland.net/guitar/chords/chords.htm

I don't think lessons are necessary for theory, at least they weren't for me. Although if you're intent on becoming the bestest guitarist in the universe lessons are probably a good idea to encourage discipline. I just play for a laugh though.

And scales are very useful, yes. Once you understand scales and keys, then you'll understand an awful lot of the rest of the crap that comes with music. It all falls into place how chords are built, what notes you can use, how to harmonise, how to go out of key...... etc.
Uh...it's not a matter of how many scales you decide to learn, it's a matter of how often you practice them.
<ter> quote me!
<alex> dont quote ter

<Barry> joe striani? is that the guy from the who?

Top Samurai of UG's Unofficial MST3K fan club, PM tossup to join

Quote by ss311
10/10 you gloriously peculiar chatter Voltan rocks.

Quote by deluxity
that's hot voltan
the answer = Yes
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
Scales certainly are very useful.

To start off, I would recommend you to learn the pentatonic and blues scales. They're simple for starters, and pretty widely used. Then move on to the basic majors and minors, then the modes, then go into more exotic scales if you like.

But learn the scales. Don't just memorize a pattern then move on. Spend time with them, learn how to play them anywhere on the neck. Know them inside and out. Only then will they be useful to you.

This could be helpful:
http://www.jguitar.com/scale
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Intervals, or the way I started out was Pentatonic, then Blues, then Minor.

Then I started on Major, Hamonic Minor the Phyrigian Dominant. <--- A must learn
I love neapolitan ice cream, but I HATE VANILA AND STRAWBERRY!

Tremulous Name:
Aaron-[UVache]
I started with all the keys in Major. A key a night, every major type for that key going up and down the fretboard.
Then I moved to Pentatonic Major...
then pent. minor..
and so on...

But do it by keys or itll get confusing imo.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
You're in the wrong forum, man. I can already tell that Jan 07 is going to be a bad month for UG.
Quote by Tom Martin
Learn the intervals,

T T S T T T S.

There you go, from that you can learn all 7 major modes. That's pretty much all you'll need for a long long time.

true dat.

but seriously just dont talk like a gangster, youll get your ass kicked
Vocals Wanted For:
Tool-Sober, Aenema
Led Zeppelin-The Ocean
Audioslave-Cochise
Sublime-Santeria
Rush-Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Limelight
Assorted Original Acoustics

PM if interested
Quote by Slash 602
You're in the wrong forum, man. I can already tell that Jan 07 is going to be a bad month for UG.

oh shut up.
If you learn how the scales work, then you don't need to memorize all that stuff. Learn why the scales are the way they are and you can practice all sorts of exercises with them or whatever. Scales are tools, use them, but it's not a matter of combining a few ideas that are set in stone and you magically get something cool.