Hello, I just had Seymour Duncan pickups installed in my Epiphone Les Paul. I live in Canada, so when I was in the U.S. one day I found a SH-59 Model(neck)and JB-4 Model(bridge) pickups on sale at Guitar Centre. I picked them up and couldn't wait to get them installed becuase I have heard such great things. A few days later my local guitar shop had finished installing them, but when I came home and plugged in to my amp I was disappointed in what came out. It made it seem that the original pickups in my epiphone les paul sounded better than these new ones. I play classic rock and use a crappy Marshall MG50DFX. I am wondering if it is all the amp's fault or am I just used to my old pickups?
Test it on a better amp. Seymour Duncans are hot. They are... ohh.
yep, that could be the reason. They can handle sh*t loads of gain, try playing your guitar through a tube amp (marshall would be my advice).
Quote by Phorgot
ur pickups are high output, that could be a reason

What does this mean>?
I spent a lot of money on these pickups and felt like shit after i heard what came out of them
I've had crappy humbuckers on my les Paul ( Epiphone ) but then I've bought the Seymour duncans and it plays so sweet now. Btw. I am playing through a Marshall TSL 601. ( in my opinion tube amps are always better to hear the real difference )
the thing with pickups is they're only ever as good as the amp you're using - the MG's aren't that great so you're not really going to get much benefit out of replacement pickups. They'll sound different, but they're unlikely to sound "better". Having said that. I wouldn't put a JB in a Les Paul anyway...it's quite a thin, trebly pickup so it's fighting against the natural tonal characteristics of your guitar. You'd probably be better off with a Custom or Pearly Gates in there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
the jb in the bridge of a lp sounds much brighter than stock pups try dialing in some bass and mids on the amp and turn the gain all the way up
Btw. If you're more into classic rock and stuff like that my advice to you would be to buy the Dimarzio Paf Humbuckers for the Epi.
they should sound good ... they work well with mahogany...
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
high output means that the pickup has a greater range of sound in which the pickup receives (i think, i can't really explain it) depeneding on how many times the pickup is winded
seymour duncans are awesome, it's your amp. Your amp can't handle the sheer awesomeness of your pickups.
Amp does form a major part of the sound you get. Getting a better amp would remedy the problem
LAF^

Quote by steven seagull
the thing with pickups is they're only ever as good as the amp you're using - the MG's aren't that great so you're not really going to get much benefit out of replacement pickups. They'll sound different, but they're unlikely to sound "better". Having said that. I wouldn't put a JB in a Les Paul anyway...it's quite a thin, trebly pickup so it's fighting against the natural tonal characteristics of your guitar. You'd probably be better off with a Custom or Pearly Gates in there.

too late, but yeah. plus thru the mg it's not gonna sound right.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011