Page 1 of 2
This bass can convert from fretted to fretless in an instant! Is that a custom built neck that's available for purchase, or a homemade masterpiece? I ask just because I've never seen anything like that before. Great tone and playing too
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
NOt to shabby mate.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
There is a lever by the neck so when he does that the frets flip down. I imagine it can be done if you know what you are doing.
Bass is my life.
That was brought up in a thread quite awhile ago, I think they said something about it costing like.. $3000-$4000, maybe? Maybe not that much, but it's very spendy. But yeah, pretty nifty idea. If it does cost that much, I'd rather just go for two quality fretted/fretless basses instead, but that's just me.
i'd rather go for individual basses that do the job better. i mean, how often are you going to switch between fretted and fretless in a song? for me, nowhere near enough to make this a good investment
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Greenday389
There is a lever by the neck so when he does that the frets flip down. I imagine it can be done if you know what you are doing.

You dont say

Anyone have any idea of what make the bass is?
Bass Guitars:
Warwick - Corvette $$
Gibson Thunderbird IV
Tanglewood - Warrior II
Stagg - Semi Acoustic Bass

Amp:
Behringer BX3000T Head
Behringer BB115 Cabinet
Quote by hexagram244

Anyone have any idea of what make the bass is?

Not enough quality to read the headstock, but I have a feeling that it's a custom shop bass
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

Gnarly.

I'll take 2.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by loeuf
This is where the basses are from : http://www.mikeyguitar.com/index.asp
They cost from 3200$US to 5000$US so it costs a lot but still it's a great idea!

Shame about the price it could be a popular idea!
Bass Guitars:
Warwick - Corvette $$
Gibson Thunderbird IV
Tanglewood - Warrior II
Stagg - Semi Acoustic Bass

Amp:
Behringer BX3000T Head
Behringer BB115 Cabinet
Sooner or later you'd be bound to mess up and play that smooth fretless groove with the frets popped up!
Is he playing any song in particular when he switches to fretless?
Nice idea, though for that amount of money I'd rather just buy two basses.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I'd assume it'd be kind of like a bass players form of a pick up selector, but instead of what pickup you want, you'll be picking what style u want.
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
its a really good idea if you need that sort of thing but its not a nice bass and its got too many strings

yeah thats right all you 5 and 6 string bassists..... i dont like you
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
^ I honestly don't understand you people who can't stand extended range basses. You seem to lash out on even the fivers.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

the bass has been a 4 stringed instrument since its birth as the double bass way back wen life sucked ass for a good reason. i dont see why it should have another string just cos some jumped up lil twat wants to play 5 semitones an octave lower than they should be or a octave higher wotever your choice.
if u want the extra range go buy a guitar it has 6 strings and all the notes u want
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
nifty huh? Yea i'd take 2 (or even 3) basses than to drop that lump in one bass. But if u are touring, and hate to carry a lot of cases, i guess its a nice thing to have. But the way frets slide in, that means the fretboard is not completely attached to the neck. Shouldnt it affect the tone? it sounded rather good in the video though.

EDIT: Just read in the site, the frets simply rotate. Cool!
Question of the year!!
Quote by Hells_Bell
Would you rather take it in the ass and eat cake, or suck **** and sit on a cake?
Last edited by Johny Bravo at Jan 9, 2007,
Quote by skater dan0
the bass has been a 4 stringed instrument since its birth as the double bass way back wen life sucked ass for a good reason. i dont see why it should have another string just cos some jumped up lil twat wants to play 5 semitones an octave lower than they should be or a octave higher wotever your choice.
if u want the extra range go buy a guitar it has 6 strings and all the notes u want

apparently, skater dan0's thoughts on extended range go beyond bass. apparently, he has the same disdain for increasing his understanding of music and grasp of the english language.

EDIT: oh, and his guitar probably never leaves drop D
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Jan 11, 2007,
Holy jesus and all that is holy! That is probably the best thing I saw all day. I seriously want one of those as long as the lever thingy is just hard enough to switch because you really don't want to switch by accident while playing.
Quote by t3hrav3n
EDIT: oh, and his guitar probably never leaves drop D

yo idiot features i'm a bassist i don't have a guitar because i play BASS.
you know?? the instrument that has 4 strings

and just so that you are aware of the crap you are spouting my bass never goes higher than dropped d usually it's dropped c and for when i require it my spare bass is in c standard

so bite my arse boyo
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Okay...no more flamefest people. If we're going to have this debate, we'll do it civil style. That said, bass isn't characterized by having 4 strings.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

Quote by skater dan0
its a really good idea if you need that sort of thing but its not a nice bass and its got too many strings

yeah thats right all you 5 and 6 string bassists..... i dont like you

let me brake this down, its all about the sounds and if you can get different sounds out of a bass that has more strings then whats the promblem its called evolution
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let people have guns ...why should we let them have ideas?
--Joseph Stalin
Last edited by paul889988 at Jan 11, 2007,
It's only a matter of time until those frets get stuck half way and will not budge. I bet you that thing is not working in 25 years time like a precision bass would be. And to the dude who hates extended range basses, try telling that to the millions who use them and use them well! There is a reason for everything, like the guy above said, it's just evolution
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Double bass was a 3 string instrument during the baroque period.

Your pretty ignorant if you cant see the advantages to more strings and extended ranges, if you dont like them bcause you lack sufficent skill to play them than thats your problem not a problem with the technology!

The vid was cool, his fretless toen was pretty bad for me but the slapping was good.
Quote by Dave_Mc
For the cost of a Mesa Roadking, I could alternatively purchase Belgium.
Ok. String number is a total opinion. I personally am a fan of 4 stringer's but after I get my Geddy Lee, and a frettless (both four strings) I might just get a bass with a high C added on. I prefer fours but I am entirely open minded of 4's and 6's (7's are a stretch 8's are retarded and 11's just make me sick.) So just be opened minded you can't deny that people do some great, great things with extended range basses.
Quote by SkaterDan0

Uh It's called a BASS GUI...TAR. This is my pet peeve (or one of many). I apoligize
That is pretty rad. I would get one if they werent darn expensive
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Uh It's called a BASS GUI...TAR. This is my pet peeve (or one of many). I apoligize

actually the term is electric bass it was originally called the fender bass because fender pretty much owned the market in them then a book was written called how to play the electric bass and that kinda stuck once other companies started to produce their own basses, people only call it a bass guitar because it is shaped like a guitar so by your definition shouldn't a cello be called a bass violin
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
You know, the bass was also a fretless instrument in the beginning, but I don't see you bitching about frets.
Again...evolution
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

u want me to start bitchin about frets??????

cos i will
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by skater dan0
actually the term is electric bass it was originally called the fender bass because fender pretty much owned the market in them then a book was written called how to play the electric bass and that kinda stuck once other companies started to produce their own basses, people only call it a bass guitar because it is shaped like a guitar so by your definition shouldn't a cello be called a bass violin

Think about the fundamentals of a bass. It was in fact invented to compliment the guitars sound with a bass tone. Guitars used to have switches that made them sound very bassy but it wasn't particularly a nice sound so a bass guitar was needed. That's why people call it a bass guitar. Oh and a cello's full name is violincello.

SUCK ON THAT!
Quote by skater dan0

cello is called a violincello, it's shorted to cello buddy, and it is a bass guitar

EDIT: damn, jazz beat me to it, at least someone else knows that
Quote by Soma3009
An interesting Thread. IN BIZARRO WORLD! HAH.

Quote by FakePlsticTrees
and props, clapping and bows to you mantiscabinet.
Last edited by Mantiscabinet at Jan 11, 2007,
Pwndizzled
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

Quote by Confused4930
Pwndizzled

You stole the words right out of my mouth.
Quote by skater dan0

and just so that you are aware of the crap you are spouting my bass never goes higher than dropped d usually it's dropped c and for when i require it my spare bass is in c standard

so bite my arse boyo

and why do you tune it down to drop c? FOR THE EXTENDED RANGE!

...why don't people think before they say things?

oh, btw, i'm a five-string bassist. and i love my five-string bass.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Page 1 of 2