Typically i hold mine with my index and middle fingers on one side and my thumb on the other, although it is slower than having the outside of your index on one side and your thumb on the other, i finf that hard to get used to.
Quote by Msu_Man04
Typically i hold mine with my index and middle fingers on one side and my thumb on the other, although it is slower than having the outside of your index on one side and your thumb on the other, i finf that hard to get used to.

with my fingers
if my figures are planted on the guitar, i use the base of my thumb & base of my index more or less

if its floating, base of thmb & side of index
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
wow, if i see one more n00b posting this thread, im gonna shoot someone...most likely the first guy who says with my penile muscles...
Quote by yawn
With my penile muscles. Doesn't everybody?

I can imagine you kneeling to your guitar slapping the strings with your balls.
I have to agree with yawn that the penile muscles are the way to go. i won't go into detail though
Quote by epiphonist13
wow, if i see one more n00b posting this thread, im gonna shoot someone...most likely the first guy who says with my penile muscles...
Such discrimination

Quote by Zuka
I can imagine you kneeling to your guitar slapping the strings with your balls.
Ew, gross. No. The pick is what's coming into contact with the strings. *duh*
I use both my index and middle fingers and my thumb. I heard that this is an unorthodox way of holding the pick, with the preferred method being with the side of the index and the thumb, but it was just more comfortable to me the way I learned. Everyone who helped me along in the learning process told me to do what was comfortable, so I stuck with my bastardized version.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Thumb and index, with the pick being parallel, vertically, with my index finger. The other three just kinda hang there.
Quote by Vecheka
I use both my index and middle fingers and my thumb. I heard that this is an unorthodox way of holding the pick, with the preferred method being with the side of the index and the thumb, but it was just more comfortable to me the way I learned. Everyone who helped me along in the learning process told me to do what was comfortable, so I stuck with my bastardized version.

Woo... I thought I was the only one who did that.

Thumb on one side of the pick, index and middle on the other. It's pretty weird, but also oddly comfortable.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Upper part of thumb on one side, upper part index on the other side if I have to palm mute in a song. If I don't then thumb, index and middle.
Quote by Vecheka

That'll slow you down, from my experience anyway.
with my thumb and the side of my index finger. i keep my hand sorta like if you were to make a loose fist. i also hold the pick so that i use the rounded side of the pick instead of the pointed. i find it sounds better and plays easier that way.
really close so i can get pinch harmonics easily
--Caleb
Quote by caughtinamosh
don't stick your penis in it

MY RIG!
Kramer Striker Custom FR-424 CM
B.c Rich Bronze Warlock
Johnson Electric Acoustic
Zoom GFX-1 Multi Effect pedal
Randall RX25
Behringer Distortion Pedal
imagine a hand ready to punch someone then place a pick between thumb and index
=)
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Mostly thumb and pointing finger. When playing something like Chop Suey! I hold the pickup in a fist like position with thumb and pointing fingers, some kind of a stronger hold of it.
Yup.
Quote by the_extremist00
imagine a hand ready to punch someone then place a pick between thumb and index
=)

Normally, in self-defense situations, you should tuck your thumb beside your knuckles, so that it's safely out of the way. This hand position makes it impossible for you to hold the pick in any functional way whatsoever.

Btw, anyone notice how some punk guitarists look like they're punching their guitars when playing powerchords? Instead of using their wrists like they should, they mobilze the entire arm and punch straight down into the strings. No wonder they need pickguards!

I must say though, there is no such thing as "the proper way" to hold a pick. We've all seen those pictures in beginner online lessons, where the guy's straightened thumb rests on top of the curled index finger, with only the tip of the pick pointing toward the guitar. The only problem with this neat little grip is that it's entirely akward in actual practice. It barely works for pendulum strumming and it's completely useless for lead. Having your hand parallel to the strings like that prevents you from using your wrist, which is essential, imho.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by Armored Artist
Btw, anyone notice how some punk guitarists look like they're punching their guitars when playing powerchords? Instead of using their wrists like they should, they mobilze the entire arm and punch straight down into the strings. No wonder they need pickguards!

Oh... You're not supposed to play power chords like that?... <_<

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Kind of in the pinch harmonic position in case i wanna throw one in at any given time.
Quote by Armored Artist

Erm, that's how I play my guitar...
Quote by MusicalMinority
Woo... I thought I was the only one who did that.

Thumb on one side of the pick, index and middle on the other. It's pretty weird, but also oddly comfortable.

I do it too. Is this how EVH holds it. I have heard it is something like this

Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
my thumb and the side if my pointer finger

Gear:
Ltd Viper-1000 Deluxe
Shittone i mean silvertone revolver
Cube 60

Originally Posted by sendmeapick
you pick squires over gibsons?

thats like michael jackson over jessica alba
I grasp my plectrum the same I would grab a pick. With 2 fingers, then i have the other 3 fingers kinda sprayed outwards and apart. That is for chords, but for picking notes, I hold it with 2 fingers as well, and anchor my last 2 fingers.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
open handed holding the pick with my thumb and index finger.
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
umm, i use hold it right on the end for fast picking, and sometime between my middle and index fingers (weird?)
[quote="Btw, anyone notice how some punk guitarists look like they're punching their guitars when playing powerchords? Instead of using their wrists like they should, they mobilze the entire arm and punch straight down into the strings. No wonder they need pickguards! [/QUOTE"]

Some bands do it in an angry way, but for some blues style songs, an aggressive attack, resembling a punching motion (more like a slap) can help add emotion and get the guitarist in the rhythm. SRV did this kind of style and probably many other guitarists too (recall the first slide from the 12th fret at the beginning of Little Wing, he always whacked that guitar)
i HOLD the pick with my thumb and index finger, but put my middle finger behind it (touching it) for support. but i dont grip it with my middle finger. My thumb is centered, and my index finger is more to the side.
I cant find the support i need with just my index finger and thumb, the pick moves too much, and i cant hold it very well.

EDIT: ^just like that picture, except my index finger a little closer to the bottom of the pick. I only have the tiniest bit of the pick showing.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

I hold the pick with my thumb and index finger, with my other fingers splayed out in a sort of fan shape. Also I dont pick with the pointy tip of the plec but with the left (if viewed with pointy bit pointing down) rounded edge. Every other guitarist I know thinks this is wierd cuz they use the pointy tip.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by LumberjackTed5
side of index and thumb

Yeah thats how i hold it, but closer to the tip.

But sometimes my nails on my index finger hurt me a little,
dont know why, but maybe couse i bite them.