Alright so heres the deal.
I before was thinking about buying an Ibanez RG1570 electric with the $1000 my mom owes me. But lately ive really enjoyed playing my acoustic and have been playing it more than my electrics!
Now first off I live in the States. But through a program im goin to Australia for about 2 1/2 weeks this summer. And i figure what better keepsake to get than an acoustic!
Now ive heard good things about Maton and Cole Clark. Obviously i dont know much about them so i was hoping to get some feedback from our good ol Aussie UGers! lol
So by the time I go to Australia, i will prolly have around $3,000 USD which according to XE.com is 3,837.13 AUD (wow im hoping thats good! lol)
So what should i look at while im there? oh and the cities ill be at include Cairns, Ayers Rock, somewhere out in the bush( im not quite sure where except in the middle of the country), and Sydney.
#64 in the Alter Bridge rocks club!

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
Hey mate, cool story, hope you enjoy Australia. Pity you couldn't make it to the real 'spiritual' capital, Melbourne. But Sydney's OK. You've got almost $4K AUD, that's heaps. You could get a great Aussie acoustic for that price. You're right, Cole Clark and Maton are two of our major brands, and they are both great manufacturers. My suggestion would be to head down to Allans Music in the Sydney CBD while you're there, it's got a nice wall of acoustics. Good management too, they should be able to get you a great instrument with a nice discount or some extras chucked in if you ask.

Best to get a bit of an idea as to what you want and there rough prices. For pricing, I suggest www.guitar.com.au. It's a store in Queensland I think, but it a has a comprehensive price list so you'll be able to get a rough idea what you will get for your money.

For that much, try to get a guitar with a solid top, and all of the Matons and stuff should have Aussie timbers, some of them look stunning and sound good. Matons have a unique sound distinct to a US made Takamine or Taylor, it'll be like a tonal souvenir sort of. Try and get a Fishman preamp or something like that if you want Acoustic-Electric.

Anyway, try a few out, and have a good time.

Maybe to go to yellowpages.com.au and search for music stores in Sydney and Cairns, I don't know whether there is a Billy Hyde in any place near where you are staying, but they are nice and big, have a good range and good prices.
Quote by snave2008
i sir totally agree with every word you just said .
Zuka- :P lol

lefty-it doesnt say anything about acoustic electrics. its my fault for not stating that lol.

morello-yeah thanx. im sooo excited!!! i went on the trip to china last year and it was amazing! ill have to find my itinerary and post it on here for ya to see what im doin. we get a lot of freetime to roam around and buy stuff when not doin things lol.
alright i forgot to mention im looking for an Acoustic-Electric with a cutaway and a Dreadnaught.
What Maton models should i be looking at? the EA80C and the ECW80C. How do those compare to the Cole Clark Fat Lady 3 Deluxe? Ive been looking at that for a little while lol
im assuming the Billy Hyde is like a Guitar Center to the US?

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
A picture says a 1000 words really, and I am feeling lazy right now. :P:

Cairns pwns

Cole Clarks pwns (AU$1199)(US$900)(Includes Hardcase)

Everything you need to know about Cole Clark Fatlady 1AC
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Last edited by DJaye at Jan 8, 2007,
I can't help on advising which guitar to get, but I can give you something to think about: be sure you include a way of getting it back to the States. That means at least a hardshell case. I've heard of people being allowed to take their guitars on the plane instead of the carry-on, maybe you'll be lucky enough. If not it's a rough ride in the cargo hold. Like I said, at least a hardshell case. If I were you'd I also look into other packing methods to be sure your new baby doesn't get dinged up. Definitely detune the strings so there is less tension.

Good luck .. have fun.
Dude, If your spending that much on a guitar you should get a hardcase either included with the guitar (I'm pretty sure both the Matons you are looking at come standard with custom Hiscox Cases) or get one thrown in witht he guitar

Check out www.billyhydemusic.com.au
and
http://www.allansmusic.com.au/

I would suggest the Maton Australian Series
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=413

or the Cole Clark FL3AC
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=144

No matter which oyu get you are below budget and will get a mind blowingly good guitar.
Both companies make consistantly great guitars throughout their entire product ranges.
Both play like a dream. Theyre so nice to hold IMO. They feel great, play soooo so very nicely and sound amazing. You really can't go wrong.
Allthought if you wanted you could go slightly cheaper and get the FL2AC
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=142
or the Maton ECW80C
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=412.

At price slot below that the Cole Clarks take it out in terms of specs and sound. At the more mid end up their lineups the Cole Clark FL2AC seems to sit just below the ECW80C but at a much lower price point. So if you were looking at that price point once again i think the Cole Clark is better.
At that next price point up, with both companies top models it is pretty even competition. I don't think there is much to tell them apart.
Apparently seeing as the FL3AC has this patented face Brace pickup (which i beleive the lower models don't have, but I will have a look at that) which is apparently fantastic, but the Matons have the AP5 pickup, which is bloody good too. The guy who started Cole Clark at one point was flour manager or something at Maton, and also CEO i think at one point. He developed the AP4 and AP5 pickups used on the Matons.

But really both are fantastic, and it looks like you have a lot of money to spend here. So you should get yourself the best guitar you can afford IMO. Just i guess you need to try both companies offering and figure out which you like better. Either way you get a fantastic guitar.

And IMO, i would go the FL2AC or the ECW80C, just because they are are a bit cheaper (maybe stick the rest of the money in the bank or something) and your not likely to grow out of either of those guitars. Like the more expensive guitars are fantastic I'm sure (never look at that price rnage really just cos i can no where near afford it) but they are very expensive, and probably fantastic, but the slightly cheaper ones are fantastic too. And cheaper

EDIT:
ohk, just looking at their website
http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/products.asp and the FL1 and FL2 have a Dual Input Acoustic Pickup

Dual Input pick up is Piezo type, bridge mounted and top plate sensor. FL1 and FL2 guitars may be optioned in full gloss finish, or with a gloss face at extra cost.

the FL3 is the only guitar that has the Face Brace Pickup System

FaceBrace® Sensor. The Face Brace Sensor is the first pickup that captures vital sounds and tones created by the face of the guitar. The sensor runs across a large section of the face resulting in a truly live signal that has to be heard to be believed. The FL3 also comprises a back sensor.

ANOTHER EDIT:
The FL1 has A grade Solid Australian timber
The FL2 has AA grade solid Aussie timber
The FL3 has AA grade solid Aussie timber

The Maton Australian Series has AA grade solid Aussies timber
The Maton ECW80C has AA grade solid timber, but not all aussie timber
Last edited by johnos at Jan 9, 2007,
Disclaimer: All of this is IMO. Most definatly spend atleast an hour trying many brands, many models
As far as sound goes, I would lean towards Maton myself. To me, they seem to have a more mature sound. That being said, The Cole Clarke has a tone to be proud of, and the resonance it gets is extrodinary, due to the joints they use in construction. To hold, the Cole Clarke seems more solid, seems like it could take a harder knock. I know CC have prime construction, that being said Maton have been bigger players in the game for much longer than CC. Maton have a Tommey Emmanuel sig, and Cole Clarke have a Ben Harper "sig" Not that that is anything to go by
As far as sound goes, thats entirely up to you.
Constuction wise, Cole Clarke have reason to be proud of their hand-made acoustics.
Another point is when you get home, your going to want to say "Made with 100% Aussie wood" which you can do with CC
Though, again, Maton are long-time players.

You can't be dissapointed with either. If value for money is a big point to you, go the cole clarke. Once you hear both guitars, and you think its worth paying the extra (lets just say $500) for the tone you prefur, go for it.
It really only starts when you play them. Both are outstanding makes.
Quote by Truth Assassin
This is what's wrong with our society today, people can't enjoy a good waste of time when they're given it.
Yeah Maton have the rep seeing as they have been around for a while while CC has only been around for 6 years or something.

The Maton EA80C is all Australian wood. The others Matons use non Aussie wood. so yeah, if you want to be able to say the guitar is all Australian wood then you would want to buy that or a Cole Clark.

It seems, that nearly every Australian acoustic guitarist plays a Maton. I go to the Port Fairy Folk Festival and so many of the artists have a Maton. I knew about Maton before i knew about Fender just because they are pretty much the standard guitar in Australia.

But i think Cole Clark will get there soon as well.
Quote by johnos
Yeah Maton have the rep seeing as they have been around for a while while CC has only been around for 6 years or something.

The Maton EA80C is all Australian wood. The others Matons use non Aussie wood. so yeah, if you want to be able to say the guitar is all Australian wood then you would want to buy that or a Cole Clark.

It seems, that nearly every Australian acoustic guitarist plays a Maton. I go to the Port Fairy Folk Festival and so many of the artists have a Maton. I knew about Maton before i knew about Fender just because they are pretty much the standard guitar in Australia.

But i think Cole Clark will get there soon as well.

Brad Clark built and designed Maton's for over 11 years, and raised their production quantity 650% during the time of his appointment.

So, while "Cole Clark" has only be operating (on paper) for 6 or so years, Brad Clarks skills and leadership goes back over 17 years as a Lutheir. (11 + 6).

The way I look at it, if you hate Cole Clarks, you hate Maton's equally.

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

wow thanx for the replies!
Djaye- Wow Cairns is beautiful!!! You have NO IDEA how much i cant wait till july! That Cole Clark looks great!!. ive really been looking at the FL3.

herr- Ive been thinking about that. Ive been thinking about seeing if the shop will ship it over for me bc that seems like the easiest solution. of course i would pay for the shipping and HANDLING. from the prices ive been seeing it seems like ill have quite a bit left over anyway.

johnos- thanx for the very nice post! Ill be saving up this much money from my job and the money my mom owes me and ill be underprice anyway so why not go big? lol.
Im definatly looking at that Australian series now. But with every post i see here the FL3 just keeps growing and growing on me lol. But until i play them down there i cnat say.
The Facebrace is supposed to be coleclarks big thing right? ive heard all of their electronics are amazing.

Ditda-Yeah i kinda want it to be all australian wood. it just adds to the keepsake of it lol. Maton's long standing reputation makes them stick in my mind and the fact that Clark was a huge part in maton keeps CC in my mind too lol

Doesnt Kieth Urban play Maton? I know he plays either Maton or CC but i cant remember which lol

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
Haha u got 3000 USD dollars and u don't buy a Taylor... im disappointed in you.

haha jk, i've tried a Cole Clark once in Canada(don't kno how that happened) and it sounded really nice. Had really nice sustain and felt comfortable.

i still think u should get

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-814CE-Grand-Auditorium-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=514998
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-614CE-Grand-Auditorium-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=514992
If I were you I would try guitars while in Australia, but don't necessarily plan on buying one. Getting it back to the U.S. seems like a huge hassle, and there are great guitars in the U.S.
Just as a Footnote, Qantas only charged me an extra AU$80 for excess baggage on my guitar case. Most Airlines are fairly reasonable regarding them.

Usually you are allowed 2 Suitcases, so if you only have one suitcase, they may let the guitar case be considered the same as a 2nd Suitcase. (does that make any sense?)

Mine was also put in the pressurized hold of the plane. (where they put animals and stuff, because there are no Temperature and pressure issues in that hold).

But make sure you check your airline is the same.

Matic-no taylors unless i dont like CC or Maton. Everyone i know around here want or have a Taylor. and yeah theyre great and all but how many ppl can say they bought a great guitar on a once in a lifetime trip from that country(im not sure that sounds like i want it lol)
Carpmuncher- its just sumthin that i need to figure out. shouldnt be to bad once i get a good way to transport it.
Djaye-yeah idk what airline im taking and id have to check with my leaders if theyd let me. the program is kinda wierd on some things but it shouldnt be a problem. The leaders are the same ones from china and they like me so it shouldnt be a big problem. Last year we were giving other kids our carryons if we had too many and they were allowed an extra so a carryon(if allowed) could be possible too.

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
yea i understand what ur talking about man. It's just going to make you look forward to ur trip a little bit more.
Quote by HugeRed
Matic-no taylors unless i dont like CC or Maton. Everyone i know around here want or have a Taylor. and yeah theyre great and all but how many ppl can say they bought a great guitar on a once in a lifetime trip from that country(im not sure that sounds like i want it lol)
Carpmuncher- its just sumthin that i need to figure out. shouldnt be to bad once i get a good way to transport it.
Djaye-yeah idk what airline im taking and id have to check with my leaders if theyd let me. the program is kinda wierd on some things but it shouldnt be a problem. The leaders are the same ones from china and they like me so it shouldnt be a big problem. Last year we were giving other kids our carryons if we had too many and they were allowed an extra so a carryon(if allowed) could be possible too.

When are you arriving in Cairns? I could take you out for a days sailing if weather permits

Speaking from personal experience, I got really sucked into the Cole Clark marketing hype...thought they were top shit and was dying to get one. Anyway, I went to Billy Hyde's (brilliant music store in Sydney) and the Matons were far better - the Cole Clarks literally didn't even come close. I played about 10 CC's and 10 Matons and the very best CC I played (a Fat Lady 3) was inferior to the much cheaper Maton that I ended up getting.

This is all in my opinion though....plenty of people love Cole Clarks and they're not bad guitars, so just try them out and buy the one you like the most.

For the record, I ended up buying a Maton CW80 (see sig) for $1440 Aussie (includes a hard case) which is the guitar that Ben Harper played on the DVD "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" (he uses it just as often as his Cole Clarks). Jack Johnson played one when I saw him in Sydney a couple of years ago. John Butler uses a 12 string version of the CW80 i think. And Tommy Emmanuel plays matons too. Even John Frusciante from RHCP used one on "Breaking the Girl".

Bottom line: Matons and Cole Clarks are both excellent, but i prefer the sound of Matons and they come with a free hard case. Maton FTW.

EDIT: I flew all the way back to Zurich from Sydney on Singapore Airlines and was able to carry it on board with me the whole way for no extra cost. PM me if you want some tips on how to do it.
Guitars
"Dakota" - Fender Splatter Strat
"Jacqueline" - Maton CW80
Last edited by jase_connor at Jan 14, 2007,
ugh sorry for the late reply. its been a BUSY week.
Djaye-as freaking awesome as that sounds, i dont have a whole free day. the most ill have is like 3-4 hours after dinner. not enough time to go sailing :*(
Jase- Thanks, that really helped. ive been wondering what models of maton to look at. The thing is idk what airline ill be taking so idk if they hae different polices. It might be Cathay Pacific bc thats what we took on the trip to china.

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
you should get a cole clark fat lady!!
i have a FL1AC and it is amazing.
with that much money you should be able to get a FL3AC.

http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/product_fl3.asp

the founder of cole clark worked for maton for 20 years but thought he could make a BETTER guitar so he began cole clark. if you dont get a cole clark i will be disappointed.