Ok, as many of you probably know, I just started playing the guitar two days before New Year 2007 and now I've mastered my first song like 5 days after I learned to play the guitar.. "How to save a life" by The Fray.

Now, my question is, how long will it take for me to be actually good at playing the guitar? Well, I know that its different for each person depending on how much dedication they put into it, their effort, and how fast they learn stuff.

But, like an estimate maybe?

How about if I started playing "Canon Rock" by Jerry C, how long do you guys think it will take me if I like say, practice one hour per day and more on the weekends. How long will it take for me to actually be able to play this entire music? Now, remember, I'm new to playing the guitar, it might take a while for me to learn those hammer ons and those slide thingies on this piece of music especially sliding from the last frets to the first frets hehe and getting it accurately.

I'm dedicated enough to learn this piece of music as its a good "show off" haha.
you cannot estimate a time really, people learn at different speeds...

As long as you put the time in practicing then you will improve, also if you ever get frustrated NEVER give up!

And... dont start with something too hard for yourself...
The general consensus for "good" is 2 years to my knowledge.

I have no help for you about "Canon Rock," though.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Most of us practice about 2 to 3 hours a day, skipping some days.

You should start by learning theory if you want to become a master at solos. I know people will disagree but if you can just read tabs and practise that one song alot but where does that get you? One song. If you improvise, solos can be understood alot more and you'll play better for it.
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
however long you will think it will take...it will take much longer
Dude it could take years, but of course you will see improvements. I've been playing for 1 year and I know only..3 scales. Of course I play music I like.
Play stuff you like, analyze songs and see if you can do it.
Quote by SMterminator
Most of us practice about 2 to 3 hours a day, skipping some days.

You should start by learning theory if you want to become a master at solos. I know people will disagree but if you can just read tabs and practise that one song alot but where does that get you? One song. If you improvise, solos can be understood alot more and you'll play better for it.

i agree, learn theory and scales and it will make you a much better player faster, its not all about memoirizing other people's music but understanding how to make your own as well
Quote by SMterminator

Only people without a brain would disagree at that.
Ive had people disagree...
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
People learn at different speeds. PRactice is also a big part, you need to practice often, and practice right. Guys like Vai and Wylde practiced for as many as 12 hours a day, whereas the Fall Out Boy guitarist probably played 12 hours a month
canon rock is a really hard one, you should start with something easier, because there'S some fast soloing and sweeping in that one
wuts ur "expectation" or "consideration" as good? that could determine on how long it can take.
cannon rock is a song filled with "shred master" stuff, you should focus on something more simple, something that is nor ridiculous such as "smell like teen spirit" but nothing like "canon rock", challenge yourself with something you consider hard but within reason you think you can play with enough practice
once you master a lot of cool solos and know a lot of "licks" and have a basic idea of how a song should go, a basic knowledge of tempo you should focus on your own solo, when you impress someone thats better than you at guitar then youre quite good
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
You should start slow. Don't tackle these types of songs until you build up finger strength, dexterity and you understand atleast a bit of theory and such. Til' then, practice practice practice! Play some songs that'll suite you a bit better at your level (Cann rock is pretty difficult song).
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
learn open chords, barre chords, how they relate to the notes on the first couple of strings and then how that relates to scales.

one song at a time is ok, but it's better to learn chords and then move on to the next step or ull get stuck.

everyone learns in their own time.
ive been playing over 10 years, still learning everyday.

good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by bmac85
i agree, learn theory and scales and it will make you a much better player faster, its not all about memoirizing other people's music but understanding how to make your own as well

I agree with you as well (well technically that other guy) but, i do think that learning others people stuff is totally cool for the first while. Thats all I really did for about a year and a half. And with doing that, you learn some sweet licks that you can use yourself and it broadens your horizon. Of course learn theory and what not, but have fun as well.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
I agree with you as well (well technically that other guy) but, i do think that learning others people stuff is totally cool for the first while. Thats all I really did for about a year and a half. And with doing that, you learn some sweet licks that you can use yourself and it broadens your horizon. Of course learn theory and what not, but have fun as well.

+1

Analyzing others' work is a fantastic place to start. I've done this in the past to learn artists' techniques. (paints & textiles) Though I am new to guitar myself. So far I've mainly practiced chords/theory, but I've played around with some riffs too. Keep us posted on your progress, and I'll do the same. (We started at about the same time. )
"Smells Like Teen Spirit IS hard to play... Gosh!" - So Says Napolean Dynamite

Stagg X300-BK
Epiphone 15 Watt practice amp
Ernie Ball 'Inked' strap
Yamaha SCF08 acoustic
HumiCase