What is a good bass combination for around 300-350 dollars? Right now, I'm using my friends First Act bass and bass amp, which is ok, kind of toneless, and it distorts a lot. I'm picking up the bass, we play a mix of like funk-rock,jam band,classic rock,coheed and such type stuff. What should I get?

I'm thinking of a rondo bass, I hear they have really good basses for the price at rondomusic.net, and I don't have any idea what kind of bass amp or bass model to get for that price range and for that music. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.
OLP has some decent guitars for cheap.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I have an SX jazz bass from rondo, and it's much better than any Squier in the price range, in my opinion. The only bad thing really are the pickups, which is expected in any bass in that price range. They're kind of noisy.

But I would recommend it for a beginner bass, they have potential to be something pretty nice with some upgrades. That's the whole reason I bought mine.
Alright sounds good, but why are you getting like a 300 dollars bass and a 70 dollar amp lespaul? The amp is the biggest factor.

I'm assuming a jazz bass would be better than a p for that music. right?
Last edited by X Alkaline 3 at Jan 8, 2007,
Well I want a decent starter bass, and the amp isn't necessarily a bad amp, it's just really low wattage, for what I need it would suit me well.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
What is a good bass combination for around 300-350 dollars? Right now, I'm using my friends First Act bass and bass amp, which is ok, kind of toneless, and it distorts a lot. I'm picking up the bass, we play a mix of like funk-rock,jam band,classic rock,coheed and such type stuff. What should I get?

I'm thinking of a rondo bass, I hear they have really good basses for the price at rondomusic.net, and I don't have any idea what kind of bass amp or bass model to get for that price range and for that music. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

To get a bass and a separate amp for around $350 USD is pretty tough. A bass "value package" would probably be a good choice:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=515439

It has a decent Washburn bass, with a 40W Nemesis amp. Nemesis has some pretty good higher end stuff, so I would assume their smaller amps are as well. Also, the 40W is a bit louder than the 15W ones you usually get with these kind of packages.

It's also only $10 more than the Ibanez one, so I would go for the Washburn.