I started playing that song a few days ago by pressing down each string and picking each string according to the tab (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/led_zeppelin/stairway_to_heaven_tab.htm).
Then I showed some other people who plays to guitar at my school and they say I am doing it wrong. I supposively was to hold some chord and pick the strings from there, and change accordingly as the song progresses. Is there supposed to be a way I know which chord to hold just from looking at the tabs?
Uh. Well, if it's the same (as in, you play it the same without holding down the chords) then it's right. But it creates more work for yourself and it's impossible to play the bass notes.
well my guess is you're only fretting each note when you pick it, what you're supposed to do is fret the entire chord at the same time for the entire phrase. so with the first part you bar the 5th fret with your index finger and use your other fingers to fret wherever else you need to, and you depress each string for as long as you can so the notes will ring out longer after you hit them.
yes, you could hold the chords and "arpegiate" them according to the song BUT, if you do it your way, and it soulds the same and you thinks its easier than do it that way

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/led_zeppelin/stairway_to_heaven_tab.htm

perfect tab, by far, i learned the whole song from it, and try to finger-pick flor the intro and as far as the intro-part goes, there is the end of the "intro" where page arpegiates quite fastly the "main chord" and thats easier finger-picking than with a pick, the rest of the song can be played normaly and it aint that hard, even the solo
good luck, great song, if you have hard time learning it, push yourself up youll learn a lot of stuf specially if you learn the solo
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Example of what you should do. Look over the rest of the tab to see if it makes a chord shape. If you can remember a chord shape, it makes the song much easier to play and remember. By the way, don't you know the rules...NO STAIRWAY!!! :P

E-5---7---8---2---0------------|
B-5---5---5---3---1---0---1---|
G-5---5---5---2---2---0---2---|
D-7---6---5---0---3------------|
A------------------------2---0---|
E---------------------------------|
Well, it's not required, but it's a simpler way of playing the song.
For the first section, place your fingers as if you were playing this as a chord:

e|5|
b|5|
G|5|
D|7|
A|-|
E|-|

Although, obviously, you're going to play...

e|------5|
b|----5--|
G|--5----|
D|7------|
A|-------|
E|-------|

Repeat that for all of them, so that you're fingering this:

e|5-7-8-2-0|
b|5-5-5-3-1|
G|5-5-5-2-2|
D|7-6-5-4-3|
A|---------|