I've been playing a little under a year and I want to start fooling with pedals, I kind of have an idea on what pedals to begin with, just basic stuff, nothing fancy. Also not looking for multi effects board.

I already bought a bad horsie wah and a boss chromatic tuner. For an overdrive pedal I was looking at either the ibanez tube screamer or a boss overdrive. I was looking at the boss blues driver also. For a phaser I was thinking of going with a MXR 90 or 100. Anyone else have any other pedals to recommend? Is there really a need for an overdrive since my amp has distortion on it? Are flanger's basically the same as a phaser? What about a delay and a chorus pedal, what seems to be good one? I've heard good things about boss pedals. Please be easy on me, I've been researching for a while, but wanted to see everyone's comments. If it matters the ESP and LTD's both have EMG's. Any comments or advice would be awesome.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Last edited by Bad Seed at Jan 8, 2007,
For a chorus I'd get a Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
i know its suggested to a rediculous degree, but you should get a cheap multi, like a digitech rp100 kind of thing. after toying with it youll know what each effect is, and what people mean when they say a certain phaser sounds nice and Chewy, and since it will suck, youll start being able to notice HOW it sounds like crap- so you can get something later that Wont suck tone-wise.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
thanks for the replies guys, I've basically read you don't get the full tone out of multi effect's pedals, so I figured I will just start buying used stuff and reading about what's the better pedal then the other. All the local music stores only have boss pedals on display where you can try them out.

I play mostly hard rock, metal, and classic rock. I am getting into blues also.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
I think you've got a good start. I'd say a multi distortion pedal would be nice like the Line 6 DM4 this way you have a range of distortions to try. I love the Phase 90 and I think it's a great affect. I think chorus is a great thing to have and you can't go wrong with a Boss CE pedal. I'd pickup a compression pedal of some sort. Finally I don't think it's necessary but a digital delay is nice too.

Multi effects pedals are good and bad, all you need on one unit and very little setup; however they usually need some tweaking and they always limit you somewhere. For starting off I think learning to use the real deal is more helpful. This way you can play with pedal order etc...