I've been reading and listening to a bunch of pickups. I've heard that Dimarzio Breeds are very versatile but how well can they do shred a la Jason Becker, Ron Thal, Petrucci? Also would I be better suited with say a Tone Zone in the bridge and a Breed in the neck? I play prog-rock/shred. Thanks ahead of time
steve vai had a set of breeds in one of his jems. the other has evos. i like the breed neck pickup. its pretty warm compared to some of the other dimarzio pickups i tried yet it can handle some heavy riffing and fast soloing. i was going to get a breed with a dsonic bridge ( i like dream theater, vai, satriani, and symphony x stuff) for a shred guitar but decided a new amp would be better. ive never played a tone zone so cant say anything about that.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by pierce34celtic
^ Good decision you made there, the Mark IV is kickass.

hehe ty. i was asking around on this site to make sure ive considered and tried out many possible amps before buying one because i was about to buy a mark iv just on 1st impression haha. however, i tried out others and the mark iv fit me best. ive been asking around on what guitar i should get next but im sure the one i have in mind (carvin ct6m) will be the one i end up getting.

anyways, for the threadstarter, what guitar do you have or want to put the pickups in. When i was considering getting the dimarzio pups I was thinking of putting them in a basswood guitar like an rg1570. i played the D-sonic in the musicman petrucci guitar which is also basswood and the breed was in an alder jem i believe. i hear that dimarzio pups sound different in mahogany guitars so make sure when you listen to clips you find out what wood the guitar is.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
A Tone Zone/Air Norton combo would shade it for all-out shredding, but the Breeds are a much better all-round pickup. If you want that accentuated midrange spike then definitely go for the Tone Zone, if you want a warmer, more balanced tone then the Breeds are better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by kanamvar32
i played the D-sonic in the musicman petrucci guitar which is also basswood and the breed was in an alder jem i believe. i hear that dimarzio pups sound different in mahogany guitars so make sure when you listen to clips you find out what wood the guitar is.

Wrong, the Evos are in the alder Jems and theb asswood ones have Breeds.
I like basswood better....
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by steven seagull
A Tone Zone/Air Norton combo would shade it for all-out shredding, but the Breeds are a much better all-round pickup. If you want that accentuated midrange spike then definitely go for the Tone Zone, if you want a warmer, more balanced tone then the Breeds are better.

i don't agree with the TZ/AN combo. when i have my TZ dialed in the AN was so muddy that human waste sludge came out of my speaker.
Was that in an RG? The Air Norton can get muddy if it's too close to the strings, same goes for the Tone Zone...definitely a shredder pickup though, it's bassy but not warm. You have to fiddle with them to get them to behave, they'd be crap in mahogany though- depending on the amp a Paf Pro might be a better bet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com