a Behringer VD1 Distortion or a boss ds-1

keep in mind that i'm only a bedroom guitarist looking for a cheap distortion pedal to practise with so dont tell that those two suck and get something better, i won't be gigging or anything . Ill be playing them through a valve junior. My music ranges from jim hendrix to the smashing pumpkins. What are some of the pro and cos of those two pedals. if there are any similar priced distortion pedals please recommend some.

cheers
ds-1
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
yeah i would go with the ds-1, great distortion for the bedroom guitarist but also good enough to be used by steve vai every once in a while, the only con to the ds though you can't really shape much of it... but hey its a good all round distortion to begin with
Ds-1

BC Rich Warlock
Peavey Rage 108 Trans-Tube Practice Amp
Boss ME-50 Multi-Effect Processor
Yamaha PSR-273 Keyboard
i have never used the behringer, but i have the ds-1 and for bedroom use its fine, but if you have a valve, junior, if you just crank that thing you know youll get natural, warm distortion, way better than any of those pedals. now if you want something that you can get feedback with though, the pedals will help, the ds-1, from my experience is pretty good, it has a level and gain controls, and a volume, you can get some bluesy distortion, to crunchy stuff, to metal, not too too heavy metal but enough for your purposes. you will end up getting some feedback though, and it gets very sensitive to picking and moving your fingers/hand. other than that its pretty good.
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
the ds-1 can (kind of, not really, don't flame me) do overdriveny sounds like heavy blues and it can go pretty damn metal as well. it's a good all-around distortion pedal, versatile, cheap, and it responds to your playing instead of making it super mushy sounding. i mean... steve vai uses (used?) it, so it can't be too bad, right?
Muddy Waters invented electricity.
Not to diss your choices or anything, but both Hendrix and Smashing Pumpkins are more of a fuzz sound. I'm not too up on Pumkins, but I hear they use a Big Muff and Hendrix is fuzz face all the way. So, maybe a good fuzz is what you're looking for? But, between your two choices, I'd go for the DS-1.
I have the DS-1 it's pretty good for what your paying. A nice little distortion pedal.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
check out the bbe fuzz pedal.. its pretty good.

also the dunlop fuzz pedal.

both will fit in with both styles.

the octavia is a hendrix pedal, the fender blender is a smashing pumpkins pedal.

of the two you suggested id take the ds-1.. frusciante uses one.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
If I am going for an Opeth/Metallica style sound, what kind of pedal would you guys suggest? I can use the gain on my amp and it sounds pretty good, but I've also tried the DS-1 out and I thought it sounded pretty solid.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
ds-1
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

DS-1.....not only does Vai use it but so does Satch (btw if anyone wants to know what satch's settings are on it, pm me)
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I have DS-1 on my ME-50, and it rocks, if your more into classic rock. If you want metal though, go for MT-2
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
DS-1.....not only does Vai use it but so does Satch (btw if anyone wants to know what satch's settings are on it, pm me)

Joe used the DS-1 with his old Marshall touring rig. I dont know if he uses it anymore with his Peavey JSX amps.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2