Page 1 of 2
I'm looking to buy a new bass because I'm joining a hard rock/metal band and I wanted to hear from people who play metal what they think the best metal bass under $500 is. Also any suggestions for bass amps would be nice too.
B.C.Rich Special Edition Warlock
Fender Standard Telecaster
Ibanez Acoustic-Electric
Austin 15W Lead Amp
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
The Goth versions of the Thunderbird IV's have a great sound and look for hard rock
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Dean

BC Rich Warlock
Peavey Rage 108 Trans-Tube Practice Amp
Boss ME-50 Multi-Effect Processor
Yamaha PSR-273 Keyboard
thunderbird 4 cuz it kicks fricking ass. or dean. i play an Ibanez Iceman ICB and i find it works fine, even better with OD pedal, but thats just preferance
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
ESP B series.
Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club. PM mountaindew88 to join.
Stagg make a metal guitar, which i happen to have

Stagg XB300 'Metal'

Edit: It only costs around £105.00 which can be around $210.00
Last edited by Staggoli at Jan 9, 2007,
Anything with humbuckers, really. I use a cort C4. schecters/spectors and warwicks are the norm. or ibanez.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
If u can squeese a $100 more, u can choose from Ibanez SR500 (SR505 for 5 string), or Schecter Stiletto Elite. THey are the best in this price range. Or u can check out Fender Jazz or P-basses. They are mighty fine & versatile. I dont know if P would work in metal. It owns in blues though!

EDIT: Schecter Stiletto Elite comes with EMG humbuckers, and is neck-thru. Now theres gotta be metal!
Question of the year!!
Quote by Hells_Bell
Would you rather take it in the ass and eat cake, or suck **** and sit on a cake?
Last edited by Johny Bravo at Jan 9, 2007,
Get an ESP F series, or an Ibanez BTB.

I wouldnt get a Thunderbird, as they play like a piece of shit. The Deans look cool, but I doubt they actually play too well either. Looks are important, but the sound is the most important thing. Also, try to get something with some active pickups, it will give you a nice punchy sound. I especially like EMGs, they're fecking awesome
Jeez, these answers are all over the place!

Fender Jazz basses work fairly well for metal, and can work in other genres if you decide to switch. Schecters are also fairly versatile, and work very well in metal.

Then, you start getting into basses that are better for the heavier stuff, but not as good in other areas. Warwicks and Spectors pretty much top the list. Ibanez is lower down, although I'm pretty sure Ibanez basses are somewhat versatile.
Ibanez SR or SRX series ftw
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Yuck, all these people recommending Deans? Ugh...Razorbacks are the ugliest, most unruly basses I've ever seen.

As for GOOD metal basses, the Ibanez SRX and BTB series, or the Ibanez Iceman bass are quality candidates.
Also look into most any ESP.
Lower end Spectors and Schecters are also good for your usage and pricrange, just go try some out. But god...don't get a Dean...yeesh.
Dude Ibanez SR505 has to be one of the most versatile basses in this price range. If its Ibanez, it can do metal. This has proven true. Now the SR series basses kick some mighty butt. I have it, and love it to death.
Question of the year!!
Quote by Hells_Bell
Would you rather take it in the ass and eat cake, or suck **** and sit on a cake?
Don't get a Fender Jazz. They just don't look metal at all; people will laugh at you, forcing you to sell it back to the shop at a lower price, meaning you lose money.
Quote by Chimpy101
Don't get a Fender Jazz. They just don't look metal at all; people will laugh at you, forcing you to sell it back to the shop at a lower price, meaning you lose money.

Martin Mendez nor Steve Harris look metal, then. Neither does Jim Sheppard.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
Stever Harris carries it off. Jim Sheppard plays with a pick *gasp*, that basically disregards him as metal, and plus you never hear him on any of their albums. No idea who the other guy is
opeth!

he plays a Marcus miller jazz
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Ah yeah, I did actually know that somewhere in my brain. Just forgot... But it is nearlly midnight and I'm tired... Bed methinks, where I shall be haunted by dreams of evil Fender Jazzes now
Schecter Stiletto Elite, either 4 or 5 (i prefer 5), or an Ibanez SR505. I own the Schecter, and for the price range, you CANT beat it. You'll love either of them. Metal Machines!
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Schecter Stiletto Elite, either 4 or 5 (i prefer 5), or an Ibanez SR505. I own the Schecter, and for the price range, you CANT beat it. You'll love either of them. Metal Machines!

You, my friend, are one of the more sensible lot around here.
Question of the year!!
Quote by Hells_Bell
:m:get the goth epiphone 4 bass
it is great for hard rock
you get no buzz even when you play above the octave
i play it through a peavey 400 watt tube half stack
:m:
Quote by IndieMetalhead
Anything with humbuckers, really. I use a cort C4. schecters/spectors and warwicks are the norm. or ibanez.

My god these answers are varied. But I agree with indie 100%.
Quote by Chimpy101

....You are no longer allowed to post in here, ever again.

That was very ignorant, and well, just plain silly. "They just don't look metal." Are you serious? That's horrible advice. Horrible. And it wasn't funny either.

To the threadstarter, all we can do is recommend basses, the best thing for you to do is go to your local shop and try out different basses and see what works for you. IMO, metal can be played on basicallyany bass, the important thing is your sound and style.

If you have a Daisy Rock bass going to an Ampeg SVT-CL and SVT 810 and have a killer style, sure you'll get made fun of, but that doesn't mean people will boo you. Besides, who cares what other people think of your bass, get what you think is best for you. And please, please, ignore Chimpy.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
^ Hahaha

I just can't stand the look of them, that's all. Also, I hate the sound and the feel of them. But everyone to his own, I suppose
you have a Warlock....
I'm just saying.

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Quote by DiabloCoche
you have a Warlock....
I'm just saying.

Hes got a point...

My little Ibanez does good enough for me. I mean it may not be best for metal as youre asking, but for $200, its really good.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by Chimpy101
Stever Harris carries it off. Jim Sheppard plays with a pick *gasp*, that basically disregards him as metal, and plus you never hear him on any of their albums. No idea who the other guy is

It's funny, I can hear Sheppard perfectly fine. And a lot of metal bass players use picks. Murderface is metal as **** and he uses a pick.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
Quote by DiabloCoche
you have a Warlock....
I'm just saying.

B.C. Rich hasn't been good in 20 years.
If your playin thrash get a jackson
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
Quote by vashts80
Martin Mendez nor Steve Harris look metal, then. Neither does Jim Sheppard.

Doesn't Harris use a P-Bass?
I also thought Harris used a P bass. But then again, I could be wrong. I've seen it in pictures, and even on T-Shirts though. Anywho, just keep looking at that Schecter Stiletto Elite 5. Black Cherry. A little out of the price range, but well worth it with all the things included in the bass. Nothing short of amazing.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Page 1 of 2