I plan to take my new guitar to the shop tomorrow to get it setup properly by a pro. Any idea how long it will take for him to do a good job?
To be honest, your guitar will probably only take about half an hour or less unless it has a Floyd Rose. But if your shop is anything like mine the tech also has a ton of other guitars to do and won't be able to get to yours for at least a couple of days.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Mine had a Floyd Rose and it took about an hour to setp. So I'm guess as stated by teamzaius that it will be about half and hour to do.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
make a list of what you want done, any problems (buzzing high frets), string gauge preference, pickup heights and poll adjustments, intonation, action, neck, cleaning...

and the time it takes depends on what u want done, and how busy the tech is.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
when i went to get my guitar set up it took 2 weeks. they usually give u a long waiting time just so they are almost 100% sure they will not take longer than they say. they only worked on it the last day and finished in less than an hour but they did have other guitars to work on.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
^that's it. it takes about an hour to do the work, but some places (like guitar center) dont always have a tech on duty waiting to work on ur guitar.

so they have u leave the guitar. for any amount of time.

ive had guys on this forum say that a place has held their guitar hostage for a month.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I'm hoping I don't have to leave it there overnight. lol maybe I'm being too hopeful.

I bought the guitar online (I need the initial setup, not necessarily fixing/cleaning anything) Are there any things that you would reccomend that I ask him to do.
ur best chances of getting ur guitar back is going to a independt guitar store just for the resaon they wont have many guitars to work on. if they do u can brib them
--Caleb
Quote by caughtinamosh
don't stick your penis in it

MY RIG!
Kramer Striker Custom FR-424 CM
B.c Rich Bronze Warlock
Johnson Electric Acoustic
Zoom GFX-1 Multi Effect pedal
Randall RX25
Behringer Distortion Pedal
Quote by gdawg5758
I'm hoping I don't have to leave it there overnight. lol maybe I'm being too hopeful.

I bought the guitar online (I need the initial setup, not necessarily fixing/cleaning anything) Are there any things that you would reccomend that I ask him to do.

i suggest you play the guitar and think about what u want done.

do the strings feel low enough, are u getting buzzing at any frets. are the pickups giving u enough bite. is it in tune along the board?

make a list. get it to play the way u want.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I see, thanks for the help everyone. And btw, the guitar shop I plan to go to isn't a chain store (like guitar center for example) so I'm hoping I can find someone that isnt too busy.
fret the 12th fret, and using an electronic tuner, see if the note is the same as the open note.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62