So I was having a discussion with my mom earlier about me taking some sort of music lessons. I just finished 3 years of guitar and I have improved vastly, but I'm not amazing. So she told me I should get into something else. I was thinking piano or bass. I really don't know what I should do so I came to The Pit to ask. Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't. But anyways, what sort of lessons should it interest me to look into next?
The Walking Dead
Piano. It will make you better at everything. Plus piano > guitar.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
Piano. It will make you better at everything. Plus piano > guitar.

Do you think that'll help my understanding of theory?
The Walking Dead
Wait, are you quitting guitar for it? Don't play guitar for 3 years and stop. Keep working on guitar and then learn something else on top of it.
Prolly.

I heard Violin, and Piano can help theory ALOT. But then again people usually start that at a younger age and then play guitar in their teens or w/e.

If you love guitar take theory lessons with that. Instead of spending more money than you have to.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
If you get the right teacher who actually teaches you theory. The piano is a much more simple layout in terms of notes. Its like one long sting with a repeating pattern so you can recognize notes. I started on piano and then took up guitar as a secondary instrument. I found understanding modes and chords on piano easy and anything you learn on piano can easily be used for guitar.
Quote by thelonelywaffle
Do you think that'll help my understanding of theory?

piano is like MADE for theory. thats why when youre a little kid you dont wanna practice because your parents will teach you the traditional way of learning piano, which is a shitload of theory. but now that youre old enough to appreciate it and actually understand how it relates to music, it helps allot.
i think many people pick up piano for the theory benifits rather than looking to play for a band or something.
Quote by Turbo_Man
Wait, are you quitting guitar for it? Don't play guitar for 3 years and stop. Keep working on guitar and then learn something else on top of it.

I'm not going to quit, I still play and enjoy my 6-string love. I was just wondering about expanding my instrumental capabilities and making it at least a little bit easier to understand theory.

Quote by carol.
piano is like MADE for theory. thats why when youre a little kid you dont wanna practice because your parents will teach you the traditional way of learning piano, which is a shitload of theory. but now that youre old enough to appreciate it and actually understand how it relates to music, it helps allot.
i think many people pick up piano for the theory benifits rather than looking to play for a band or something.

Yeah like I just stated above, it would be for the comprehension of theory and used minimally if I were to record something.

Thanks for the input!!
The Walking Dead