i own a knock-off stratocaster (an 'SX' branded version) and i have started to do a bit of modification to it. recently i replaced the 3 single pickups with an sh-4 jb and a new pearled white pickgaurd to fit with the humbucker. i also put in a new pot 2 suit the humbucker.
now im just pissed off with the neck. as its a knock-off it isnt exactly of the utmost quality and it has a strange yellowy colour to the 'maple'. also the rosewood fretboard is showing some signs of wear.
also i have a very high action which is very annoying and i have already lowered it but its still not stisfactory. i think part of this is because of the neck warping/bending whatever. aswell as this where the fretboard finishes/joins on the body it is not very far from the body, while on my friends fender strat it is raised a fair bit more. having the neck 'lower' it means i have to adjust the bridge a lot to get the desired action.
if i bought a new neck i also thought i could kill 2 birds with one stone and get new machine heads also since my current ones are shocking.

do you think it is a worthwhile upgrade? (bearing in mind that i want to keep this guitar and it is my only guitar so i cant run away from the shitty-ness)
my budget is not exteremly high but i can still be flexible
how much money do you have? i think it would be a good investment to buy a new neck, but depending on what copy you have the neck pocket and the neck scale might not be the same as a real fender strat so getting a neck replace might be hard.

Also, is the body Plywood? because then it would be way more worth it to switch the body instead of the neck, since you would get a better tone. Also you might just need to adjust the truss rod if its really warping.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Shim your current neck.

Here is what you need to do it:

2 or three business cards & thin strips of wood.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Slack the strings
2. Loosen the neck bolts so you can pull the neck away from the body. Insert x number of business cards (three is alot) into the neck pocket. Screw the neck back on leaving the cards inside.
3. Tune the guitar and see if you can get the action you are after by adjusting the bridge. Adjust the number of business cards accordingly if need be.

Some people just stop right there, but you can replace the cards with a thin strip of wood, once you know how thick it needs to be. I have used metal mesh from a screen door on either side of a wooden shim to keep it in place and get the right thickness.

You can add a slope to the neck if you need to, but you should not have to. If you do, it will be very slight unless whoever made the guitar really screwed up.

Once you get the action you are after, re-intonate the guitar and your done.

The neck shim will change your tone a bit, and you will loose some sustain if you use business cards instead of hardwood shims.

Hows that for cheap?
ill probly be lookin at spending a total of around $250 - 300 australian so i think thats...US$175 - 210
my neck is 21 frets n most the replacement one iv seen are 22 so im guessing thatll prob affect scale length... but normally they say 'for stratocastor or the like' u no, something along those lines.... i dont no wat type of wood my body is since i didnt buy the guitar and i cant find specs on it, but im guessing something shit so plywood is a good bet.

how much would a new body cost and are they harder/easier to source if you know?

thanks hamm for that interesting idea ill give it a crack tonight...
thats the guitar i have. blah

iv chipped it heaps so i can see the wood and its light brown. creamish colour

is that plywood?
You can get a 22 fret neck with the last fret overhanging the fretboard, so the scale is the same.
yer ive also chipped mine a bit and it doesnt look like alder or ash or any half decent for that matter...
thanks hamm that trick worked well, now iv got a good (although not perfect) action

bus tickets do come in handy...
to know if your guitar's wood is plywood remove the pickguard and take a look at the wood that is under it, if you see layers of dark and lighter wood then its plywood. also, the amount of frets doesn't affect scales, and the fact that your guitar is a strat copy doesn't mean that it is 25.5" scale, so measure before buying.

You can get decent fender licensed necks on ebay on prices around 100 bucks (american) and decent bodies (not licensed) for around 50 bucks too so you could get all new woods for better tone and leave the old hardware until you get more money.... so thats like getting a new guitar, don't really know if thats what you want :p

If its too much work for you then i would go with the buisness cards deal.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
^^ok kool ill have 2 check out ebay...

it has a bit of buzz at the 8th fret on the E A and G strings, but its already a decent way off the fretboard, so in otherwords not insanely low action
do u have any ideas on how to solve this?
thanks for all the help!
Since it is only 1 fret it may be just that the next fret down is too high, and you may be able to bring it down with some 400 grit sandpaper.

You might also be able to get it out with the truss rod. If you fret your low E on the first fret, and at the fret when the neck meets the body, you will be able to see if the neck is bowing towards (or awayfrom) the strings in the middle of the neck. If it is you will need to make a truss rod adjustment to work it out.

The truss rod has to be set to equalize the tension on your neck caused by the strings. The neck may look perfectly straight when there are no strings on it, but when you apply all that tension, the strings are actually pulling the headstock closer to the bridge.

Once you soft the adjustment out, you can go lower untill you hit the next buzz.
ok sweet...
they just had some info on the truss rod like u said in the guitar mag i bought just yesterday so ill test it out