Page 1 of 2
So I just got my X100B in today (which I bought off eBay). The listing said the amp worked great. Long story short, it doesn't.

Full length story:
The tubes are shot...which I kind of expected. One of the reverb tank's springs has come loose (and I don't quite know how to fix it). Most of the knobs produce some cackle when turned, but the bass knob is insane. It almost pops my eardrums when I turn the thing. The power switcher (to go from 100% to 60% RMS) on the back doesn't work. The master volume only works on the lead channel...and it's really quiet on the rhythm channel. There's plenty of static coming through.

The last one is the only one I can pass off as my fault. I'm using a 20' guitar cable to run in between the head and the cab. I didn't have anything else, but this set-up works fine hooking up my bass head to my cab.

I'd rather not send the thing back because I've already purchased a cab for it, but is it worth getting it fixed? There's a lot of things wrong with it, but do you think a good amp shop would be able to fix it without costing me an arm and a leg? Hell...do you think I could fix it?

I've never worked on an amp before, but I know some electrical stuff (I was a scale technician for a few months).

Ugh...any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
dude, it's worth getting it fixed at a shop. the one where i live only charges $20 + materials that have to be ordered. it should be pretty cheap to get it fixed
get an estimateon repair costs firsts, thats the only way i can tell you weither or not its worth it
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^ I doubt it would be that cheap to fix all of that. But it would be cheaper than a new amp probably.

Also, get a speaker cable. The power sent by a head to a cab is alot more than that from a guitar to an amp. An instrument cable can melt and possibly catch fire if you use it like that. It might not be likely, but do you want to risk setting your amp/house on fire? And ieven if only the cable breaks, then your output transformer will be shot since you're running your head without a load. (Assuming that the carvin has an all tube poweramp.)
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Man that sucks, if it were me Id complain but since its not me Ill stay quiet
what user did you buy it from? just curious cuz i was looking for some carvin x100b's myself on ebay.
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
Yo. Don't hate ebay. hate the guy that sold it to you. on ebay you can rate the seller. complain on his profile and he will not get many sales in the future.
alright folks lets go here, contact the seller tell him the item was less than sub-par and you demand reimbursement to fix the item as it was listed improperly (ebay listings are a contractual agreement). If he denies go straight to ebay consumer affairs / complain department. you may end up returning the amp but this way you dont have to dig into your own pocket.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130061455035

That's the item.

Edit:
I sent this to him, "After playing with the amp more...I've realized more things that are wrong with it.

As of now:
The tubes are shot. One of the reverb tank's springs has come loose (and I don't quite know how to fix it). Most of the knobs produce some cackle when turned, but the bass knob is insane. It almost pops my eardrums when I turn the thing. The power switcher (to go from 100% to 60% RMS) on the back doesn't work. The master volume only works on the lead channel...and it's really quiet on the rhythm channel. There's plenty of static coming through.

I'm taking the amp to a shop tomorrow to get an estimate. I'm sure you're aware that eBay listings are contractual agreements and I feel the item was not listed properly.

I hope we can come to an agreement that'll work great for both of us.

Thanks,
Andrew"
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Last edited by andrew7667 at Jan 9, 2007,
Quote by thejester
alright folks lets go here, contact the seller tell him the item was less than sub-par and you demand reimbursement to fix the item as it was listed improperly (ebay listings are a contractual agreement). If he denies go straight to ebay consumer affairs / complain department. you may end up returning the amp but this way you dont have to dig into your own pocket.

Ding.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
you shoulld hate thee guy not ebay. I bought my fender american strat and my vox tonelab SE on ebay and they were perfect
Your ebay rating is a ZERO. You can afford to give him a negative feedback if he doesnt wanna work this out with you. Personally I would ask for my money back. But, I'm sure he won't give you any money.
I've always just used my parent's ebay. It wasn't until recently that I got my own. This is the first thing I've purchased on MY account, but I'm not new to eBay.

I may very well give him a negative feedback if he refuses to work this out.

He may very well HAVE to give me money. The money was sent through paypal which offers buyer protection. He may not want to give me the money, but eBay could decide to reverse the transaction. It's happened to me before (the reversal of a transaction). It's an interesting way to get scammed.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
1. Tubes are tubes, a set for that will probably run around $75, you can change them yourself.

2. The knobs can be cleaned up with some spray cleaner, sometimes you can simply turn them over and over and get the noise to stop.

3. The issues with reverb spring, power switch, and master volume would all need to be looked at by a competent tech. If you're in California take it to Carvin directly. If not, call around. I bet you won't get an estimate until you spend some money with the guy so he can open it up and check it out.

Overall it's a very solid amp, probably worth spending a couple hundred to get in perfect working order.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
One estimate was $200. I'm waiting to hear back from the other amp tech, but I've left it at his place so he'll give me a better estimate than the first. Hopefully it'll be lower.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
yup you got a deal on that amp even if it has issues.
How do you know the tubes are shot?
i would have the pots cleaned and the reverb fixed or swapped for another which is no big deal.
then i would change the tubes if the above doesn't help.
The amp was never listed as "in need of repair." If you look at the auction, the guy says everything works. Well, it doesn't.

With shipping, I didn't get the amp a whole lot cheaper than it normally sells for.

It's not as easy as "just fix it up". I don't have $200 laying around to be spent on amps. In fact, I'm having to sell some stuff just to pay half! I budgeted to spend the money I spent...not to spend almost twice that.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Well if the seller agrees to refund thats great.

i would not spend $200 to do 15 minutes of work on that amp.
It's $7 for a can of cleaner.
The reverb spring probably just needs to be put back on the hook in the pan.
It also needs new preamp and power tubes. The reverb will need to be replaced because the wire that connects it to the transducer has broke.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Well, that really sucks, but I'm sure you could always get your money back because he was lying about it, and you used paypal. I guess it is possible that everything went wrong during shipping, but highly unlikely.

First off, get a real speaker cable. Then replacing the tubes would be a good idea anyway (I'm going to buy new ones for mine when I get it tommorow, even though the ones in it are new, just for backup.) Then, as people have said, clean it up and take it to a tech. (This is all assuming you're going to keep it). I would guess that all of the problems you're having are due to loose wires or something (although I know nothing about how amps work, so I probably said something stupid.) In any case, good luck with the whole deal.
After pricing everything individually, I realized the first estimate is a tad bit high. He was charging 80-120 for tubes and 40 for a reverb tank. I can find all that online for a lot less. The rest was all labor. If I have to order everything off the internet and have a tech put it in, fine, but I'm not paying that much for tubes and a tank.

If the next one comes in just as high, I'll do it all myself. I really don't want to send the amp back, but I also don't want a broken one.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
For tubes I'd go to either www.eurotubes.com or www.S2amps.com . S2amps is cheaper but Bob at Eurotubes is super knowledgeable and helpful. Do the tubes yourself. They just snap in and out like legos.
The $120 were just 6L6GC Svetlana's that I can find online for less than half that.

I know I could snap in the tubes, but I can't bias it. I know I could also do the reverb tank myself.

I may just have him clean it up, fix the pots, re-solder it, check for loose wires, etc. and I'll change the tubes and reverb tank.

Good news is...the guy on eBay seems to be willing to split the cost of repairing it.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
bias it isnt that hard, unless you use the transformer shuntmethod, which is the best way to do it, but not necessary,all you need is a digital multimeter.

Last.fm
It's a fixed bias and I don't have the resistors to change it. I guess I could mod it to have an adjustable bias, but it's more work than I trust myself to do.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
If he says he is will to help pay then send him a bill as fast as you can.
I will. I'm waiting on the estimate to come back. Should be tomorrow or thursday.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Id say that the seller would be willing to work it out with you. He has 100% feedback, which is a good sign. I have 100% and I always try to go above and beyond to keep it that way. He hasnt screwed anyone before, so I doubt he'd want to know and for only a few hundred dollars? Maybe its not even his amp, he could be selling it for a friend or something..you never know..
He is...which I'm glad he is. I've ran into some complete pricks on eBay. I've even gotten jipped out of $240. By the way, paypal doesn't do shit for seller protection. "Oh, we're sorry that happened" is the best they gave me. That's what made me quit selling on eBay. I'd rather just sell it locally, even if I don't make as much.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Ebay works fine. Its a great marketplace for guitarists. You have to ask all the right questions though through the "ask the seller a question" feature. That way, if you are lied to, its all documented in the emails. I've bought amps, guitars, effects and everything in between off ebay. I love it.
Quote by andrew7667
He is...which I'm glad he is. I've ran into some complete pricks on eBay. I've even gotten jipped out of $240. By the way, paypal doesn't do shit for seller protection. "Oh, we're sorry that happened" is the best they gave me. That's what made me quit selling on eBay. I'd rather just sell it locally, even if I don't make as much.

I've wondered about this, how do you get screwed as the seller? I sometimes wonder why the seller should be able to leave bad feedback after you pay in full. As a seller, you wait for the payment to clear, whether that's paypal or a check. Then you ship the item, insured, when you know you have the money in your bank account. You keep your receipts, and you have proof that you shipped the item. If you take items back, which you advertise in your auction, you wait until you get the item back in the exact shape you sent it, then you reimburse the customer. If it's not returned in the same shape, you don't refund the buyer. Just wondering where you can get screwed as the seller, because I sell a lot of stuff too, and I want to avoid it.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
If your amp is fixed bias you can put any of the same tube type in and be fine. That's all the tech will do anyway.

There are a couple ways to get screwed as a seller.

1. If you take money orders or cashiers checks they can be falsified. It clears your account, then gets caught and you're boned for fraud, and out the gear you shipped.

2. False damage or operability claims. The buyer has a chance through paypal or his credit card company to charge back money based on whether the item works as advertised.

3. False claims that the gear never arrived. Same issue as #2.

So as a seller you always need to be totally sure of payment, always insure and get tracking #'s for items (even if the buyer doesn't want to pay for the fees, get it anyway), and always keep every piece of dialogue between you and the buyer.
Last edited by Mudder at Jan 10, 2007,
yeah thats why when i sell on eBay i always send via registered mail with delivery conformation (which takes care of problem #3) and i take checks and money orders only but i hold the item untill the money order or check clears completely (which takes care of both #1 and #2 since theres not much buyer protection can do once i have the cash)

Last.fm
ahh, ic, so I guess you could avoid the fraudulent checks by just not accepting them. I usually only accept paypal, since it's more convenient for me, but that's good to know. Will they automatically charge your paypal account if the item goes to dispute resolution? I usually wait until the money transfers into my bank account before I ship, but I have just shipped while it's still in paypal. I always ship insured with tracking, but that's another good tip. I guess you need to protect yourself as a seller too, thanks guys.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
File an 'item not as described' complaint. You can get your money back. But ebay will keep like $30 of it.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
I talked to my amp tech. He says the amp CAN be repaired, but it's not worth it.

The buyer is willing to refund me $200 to get the amp fixed; however, there's burn marks on the board so the amp will never be incredibly reliable. Despite the refund offer, my amp tech still says to ship it back (which is really commendable, I think...he'd make a lot more money fixing it).

I'm going to take ~$60 hit to ship the thing back plus the amount for the estimate so either way, I'm getting screwed. I probably won't have to file an "item not as described" complaint as the seller is being more than reasonable.

The way I got screwed...the guy paid through paypal then told his credit card company it was fraudulent charges. The credit card company then reversed the transaction and paypal ended up deducting the full amount from my account. I didn't have any proof of delivery so I couldn't do anything to get the money back. Unless you take extreme caution, you CAN get screwed on eBay. It was about 2 months later that the money was taken out of my paypal account, so it had already been put into my bank account. Don't think once it gets into your account you're free and clear.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Do I ship it back and get an amp that I know will be in good working order, or do I take the refund and get this amp fixed (even though it may never be completely reliable)?
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Page 1 of 2