Okay, I'm embarrassed to ask this becaus I've been playing for years, but I've never spent too much time playing around with gear.

I often read threads where people say something like "your amp doesn't have enough gain but this pedal will help".

Now, I've never really had a decent amp, and I use pedals (or MFX) for most of my overdriven/distorted tones.

I always use a clean setting, and get 100% of the gain from the pedal.
Since I've always had SS amps, I figure the clean is clean enough.

But when people are talking about valve/tube amps, surely it doesn't make sense to waste that tube gain for the sake of the pedal.

So do you use the amps tube OD and then the pedal distortion on top?

Because when I tried that with my gear it clashed and sounded pretty horrible.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
you use the amp OD and the pedal od depending on what sound you want. my amp has tons of gain so i don't need an OD pedal like my friend with a hot rod deluxe does. if i do use an OD pedal to try to get metal tones from my amp itll just sound nasally. however, im planning on getting an OD pedal to use as a clean boost and add a little different flavor to the clean channel. so the pedal is still useful even with a high gain amp.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by Dr. B
But when people are talking about valve/tube amps, surely it doesn't make sense to waste that tube gain for the sake of the pedal.

Ive been trying to figure that out for years. Ive seen kids use MT-2s with JCM900s. DS-1s with Rectifiers. MD-2s with XXXs. ..etc. Why buy an amp if the amp itself doesnt get you what you want?!

Ill probably never know...

But anyways, some peoples' tube amps dont have enough gain for their liking, so they add an overdrive pedal in front of it to send more signal to the pre-amp which obviously makes more distortion.
I don't agree with overdrive pedals to boost gain. A clean boost, that won't change your amp's tone, just boost it, is good.
These go to eleven...
^ Thats why I dont use an OD. It takes off all my low end and makes it all sloppy.

Plus if you think you need an OD with something like a Triple Recto...youre either a n00b or insane! lol
Ok.
Well, I think I've figured it out - although just a volume boost or OD with an OD pedal sounds like it will improve a tube amp - like the legendary tubescreamer.

But a DS pedal sounds like a waste of time with a tube amp.

Then again, it's what metallers like Kerry King use, so...
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
I have a 5150 which is a high gainer and I use an overdrive to tighten up the sound, not boost gain. It makes palm mutes more thick, almost to the point of how a layered track sounds. Wall of sound it is. (bigfoot for stern fans)
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
well, im sorry to say that i have 2 marshall mg's, so i need the distortion/OD boosted ALLOT to get any decent sounds, as for using OD's on a tube amp, it just depends what sound your after and what settings your using etc
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15