I'm trying to set the intonation on my LTD EX-400 because it's gone a bit out... but it's impossible to reach the screws without taking the strings off.

(Obviously I can't set it without strings on) so how do I do it?
Just slacken the strings until you could push it with your fingers, you dont need to fully unstring them.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
hhmmm...interesting dilemma you have here... have you tried using those tiny little screw drivers??
i don't think a screw driver can reach.. the problem is the big chunky EMG right infront of the screws... unless i took the bracket off and let the pickup drop inside the body... then set it.. but i don't wanna do that.
Quote by p2fyre
i don't think a screw driver can reach.. the problem is the big chunky EMG right infront of the screws... unless i took the bracket off and let the pickup drop inside the body... then set it.. but i don't wanna do that.

i can,with a very tiny one
ahh sounds like you dont have the tools, i bought a nice set from planet waves i believe with a tiny screwdriver that adjusts to fit in those spaces
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
x3, u need the right tool.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
oh right, i'll have a look! cheers! i'm sure some kind of tool will work.. it's just finding the right one
I have a guitar with a tuneomatic and i just took the tune o matic off and turned it around so the screws were facing the other way, it seems to be exactly the same as when the screws were facing the neck and it made setting the intonation a hell of a lto easier, i just left it that way.
well, with some tuneOmatics, it's hard to get all the strings to intonate because at times ull run out of room and move the saddle to it's limit, but it's still not far enough to be intonated.

so often if u flip the "saddle", that ridge the string runs over, you point the edge the other way and give urself the wiggle room you need to intonate the string.

in flipping the whole bridge, you in effect, flipped all the sadles.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
well, with some tuneOmatics, it's hard to get all the strings to intonate because at times ull run out of room and move the saddle to it's limit, but it's still not far enough to be intonated.

so often if u flip the "saddle", that ridge the string runs over, you point the edge the other way and give urself the wiggle room you need to intonate the string.

in flipping the whole bridge, you in effect, flipped all the sadles.

That's often due to string gauge. Some guitars are just not meant to have strings thicker than a certain diameter. Once that's exceeded, you can't move the saddle back far enough to compensate for the string thickness. But on an LTD EX-400, the Earvana nut should already be compensating for this and it should be no problem. One option, as you stated, is to reverse the saddle on the bridge. This works well and is pretty easy to do. I usually have at least a couple of my saddles on backwards.

Flipping the entire bridge does work to make the intonation screws more accessible. But it can potentially cause other intonation issues that will require saddles to be reversed as well. But not a big deal and it's easily fixed. It's just time consuming. I would suggest that as everyone else says, just getting the proper tools is much easier. And if the bridge pickup is in the way, you can always lower it temporarily with its adjustment screws and reset it when the intonation is complete.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor