Ok so I finally decided upon what guitar I wanted and bought it the other day at guitar center... I bought a Yamaha Pacifica 012. Now it's not the ones that were suggested but was about the best one that I tried out at guitar center for perhaps just a bit over what I really wanted to spend. I like this guitar it does enough for what I would use it for however... When I bought it I noticed two things. One the volume knob is lose or at least doesn't feel sturdy. The second thing I noticed is the hum bucker I believe it is, if not well its the bottom pick up thats closest to the bridge is loose or at least wobbles when I touch it. I know the tone knob is fuxored and needs to be fixed however is that how the pickup is supposed to be?

I was thinking of taking this back to guitar center and asking them to fix these problems (if indeed the pick up is not supposed to move) though I have no idea if they would be able to fix it, perhaps I should ask if they could exchange it for one that does not have these problems. Any thoughts or ideas?
My Gear

Ibanez GSR 200
Schecter C4
Fender Rumble 100
seeing as though you bought it first hand it should have some kind of waranty wich meens for a period of time any problems with the instrument (other than those inflicted by missuse) should be fixed by either the shop or yamaha. take your guitar back GC and see what they can do. i hate it when u buy something new (eg. new guitar) and u get home and there is something wrong with it
Last edited by cocaineboy at Jan 9, 2007,
yeah pretty anoyying but I had alot of hassel just to get up to this range of guitar so trading it in is not an option... This is a decent step up from the les paul jr.. IMO anyway... SO i take it the hum bucker should not be moving thats pretty shitty oh well I guess I need to go back tomorrow
My Gear

Ibanez GSR 200
Schecter C4
Fender Rumble 100
Depends on what kind of a pickup is it, some of them are supposed to be 'wobbly' and some are not.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
I used to have the exact same guitar, pacifica 012.

Although I would never ever go back to it, it done me well for the price I paid, and the humbucker was wobbly for me too, but if the tone/volume knob is wobbly, might as well go to the shop and ask them to tighten it up and ask about the humbucker while your there.
Quote by Sturek
yeah pretty anoyying but I had alot of hassel just to get up to this range of guitar so trading it in is not an option... This is a decent step up from the les paul jr.. IMO anyway... SO i take it the hum bucker should not be moving thats pretty shitty oh well I guess I need to go back tomorrow

I had the same question about the bridge humbucker when I bought my new Stagg. Some lovely members here answered my question. The humbucker's height is adjustable via a spring/screw. So, you can expect some movement when you touch it, especially if your humbucker is set high.

As for the knob... that sounds a little shifty to me. Though I would not return the entire guitar because of it. Perhaps the store you bought from can replace the knob for you??? Or, offer an exchange???
"Smells Like Teen Spirit IS hard to play... Gosh!" - So Says Napolean Dynamite

Stagg X300-BK
Epiphone 15 Watt practice amp
Ernie Ball 'Inked' strap
Yamaha SCF08 acoustic
HumiCase
If the knob is loose like popping out n such, you could stuff a thin paper underneath it. But if the "loose" you're talking about is the way it spins to max, then you'd need to get the pot replaced.

As for the bridge humbucker, its pretty normal for guitars like this, simply coz the humbucker holder's springs are too short (or too crappy) to give enough force to push it against the pickguard, not letting it move. A solution is to change the spring to better ones.

Personally i'd get the 112J, the 012 will bound to have problems in near future. For example the tuners, it'll be crappy after awhile.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I'm not wanting to dis MadPickin, cuz it was cool of 'em to give you a great answer in regards to your pot/knob problem. Plus... according to him, he's high on crack. So, it would not be wise of me to provoke.

That said, I'm guessing you spent about $200 on your guitar? From what I've been told, that's a decent investment for entry level. If that's what you can afford right now... then go for it. Meantime, you can save for upgrades or for a higher end guitar down the road.

XOXOXO

Stagg X300-BK
Ernie Ball 'Inked' strap
Yamaha SCF08 acoustic
HumiCase
well yeah madpick is high on crack, so be careful, but the 012 isnt the $200 model that's the alder 112J.

like said check out the height adjustment screws on each side of the humbucker. the problem is probalby that the spring (looks like the little spring u see in a click pen,) isnt "springy" enough. and cause it's too compressed the humbucker is moving around.

the only way to fix it for good is to open the guitar and stretchout the spring or add sponge under the pickup and above the rim it's fastened to.

as for the wobbly knob. like said u can jam a little paper under the plastic knob to make it more stiff, or you can separate the two halves of the pot stem to make it wider and a better fit under there. be careful not to break the stem.

or like said, if its a loose pot, then hold the stem and tighten that nut under there to prevent it from spinning and ripping off wires.

by the way, ive got pictures on how to do all that, if ur interested.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

by the way, ive got pictures on how to do all that, if ur interested.

Jenny, I'm interested in the pictures... cuz I'm a fan of doing my own adjustments whenever possible. I am particularly interested in the humbucker pics. Currently, my string alignment at the bridge is off.

XOXOXO, From one rockin bitch to another.

Stagg X300-BK
Ernie Ball 'Inked' strap
Yamaha SCF08 acoustic
HumiCase
when u say that do u mean the strings dont line up wt the poles over the humbucker? or that the bridge is lifted? or that the action is off in some way?
what guitar are we talking about here?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
when u say that do u mean the strings dont line up wt the poles over the humbucker? or that the bridge is lifted? or that the action is off in some way?e
what guitar are we talking about here?

It's a Stagg X300. We've already hashed this out a bit in another thread. I paid about $200 plus tax for this axe. I'm entry level... so, for that price, this guitar is a keeper. (Solid alder body was the main selling point for me.) Here is an actual straight on shot of the pickups. (pre-adjustment) I adjusted the humbuckers so that treble side was closer to the magnets. This helped, but did not solve my problem.

I'm interested in learning to tinker around with the components on my own. At some point, I'm sure I will upgrade the pickups myself. In any case, your feedback (good, bad, or ugly) is welcome. I'm here to learn from those with more experience than me.

XOXOXO

edit: Forgot to add... Bridge is fine. Action is fine. Neck is fine. I think that perhaps the humbucker 'hole' was drilled a little bit to the side.

Stagg X300-BK
Ernie Ball 'Inked' strap
Yamaha SCF08 acoustic
HumiCase
Last edited by Chewbeckah at Jan 9, 2007,
oh ok sounds familiar. well my suggestion to u. would be to look at after market pickups.

in this case, how the mounting ring was seems to be off.
moving it would be an option. i suppose looking into an F-spaced pickup might help. u would get closer to the treble side pup but the low E pole might be too far, in that spacing.

at the very least, getting a high output dimarzio with adjustable pole pieces would definatly help. (picking the right pickup would depend on ur style)
but getting one with adjustable pole pieces can raise up the treble side independant of the bass side, emphasizing the ones u want even more. and the higher ouput might level out ur tone completely, reguardless of the shoddy pup placement.

note the bottom row is adjustable.

edit: and hell yeah rock on.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

OK yeah would like the pictures please because It would be nice to know how to fix things like that and no i do not live in Ireland and yes im irish. Also I have stated this before ya its a cheaper guitar and I am a begginer as far as guitars are concerned, and I am also primarily a bassist. I bought this for my own personal learning expierance and don't plan on playing in any bands with this or probably doing anything stressfull to the guitar so I believe it should be ok. However I did also buy this so if I wanted to I could upgrade the equipment on this thing later on.
My Gear

Ibanez GSR 200
Schecter C4
Fender Rumble 100
Last edited by Sturek at Jan 9, 2007,

the blue lines adjust the height of the pickup. closer to the strings gives u move volume, too close can get a little muddy. small turns, dont go lower than flush to the pickguard.

in moving the humbucker up and down you might find a sweet spot where the humbucker doesnt rattle, but most likely, its as i posted before. where the spring under one of those screws (and in ur case the pickguard) is a little less springy than it needs to be.

as for the knob. if its the plastic cap that's loose on the stem,

taking a small screwdriver and CAREFULLY separating the two halves will make the stem bigger, and the cap will fit on it better.

if the problem is that the Metal Stem is loose. then u need to take off the plastic cap and hold the stem while carefully tightening the nut under it. not letting the stem spin around.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Thanks, Jenny. I like your ideas for my pickup.

Stagg X300-BK
Ernie Ball 'Inked' strap
Yamaha SCF08 acoustic
HumiCase
no problem. any questions just PM, or start a pickup thread ill find it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

well pickups move, and are held in place by spring tension.

if it clicks back and forth because the tension isnt strong enough and it wobbles. then that can be adjusted.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62