Page 1 of 2
Yeah, so I just got this PM

Quote by Kyle Gass
Ok Gals and Gents, I am PM'ing you in Regards to an Idea that myself and Snyper have been conversing about. and that is an Ultimate Band Listing Thread. Now what it originally was planned to be was a thread that listed "MOST" bands seperated in every Genre from Metal to Indie to Pop, punk etc. With a link posted to each band to find information about it. but with Thread boundaries such as only having 10000 characters per thread, and the fact there are THOUSANDS upon Thousands of bands out there, this is literally impossible, but I havent given up yet, Instead of ONE thread to be posted in B&A, there would be ONE per SUBFORUM to cover each genre. This thread would list each band or MOST bands in that subgenre of rock with Moderators personal recommendations, or maybe a rating system, and this thread would also help with people not posting the wrong band in the wrong thread. Now to get to the point of this whole thing, I am PM'ing you to ask for help for this project. As of now I'm trying to find a Broad listing of everyband in every subgenre and as of now the quickest way is through wikipedia, but some bands are misplaced and but in genres they should be in. With your help we can sort out the bands that dont belong in certain Genres. As said before I have spoken to Snyper about this and He's offered to help, and Andrewbiles has given the Go for this mass accomplishment. So I ask you now, would you like to help? Thank you for your time.

Rage Kage

P.S. ALL moderators in the B&A forum have been fwd. Some may not have recieved due to exceeded storage in their inbox's

I don't know what to think really, listing and linking EVERY metal band?! It would be an impossibility really when considering the sheer number of grim bedroom black metal bands etc and other bands who don't have websites/myspaces etc.

Plus, we have the first pages of the recommendation thread which kinda does most of this stuff already, and then there's metal archives which has it all already

thoughts?
in all honesty, i would say dont bother. But i guess it could work if you gie like the top 10/20 bands from each sub-genre. that could work i guess.
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......?
....\__________.?
I think linking to more essential bands could be a good idea. Or even some of the better newcomers.

But a full list?

We have Metal Archives for that.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Dyer's Eve
I think linking to more essential bands could be a good idea. Or even some of the better newcomers.

But a full list?

Exactly.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
*reported*

really dumb tread!

really, who needs this... we have the recommendation thread allready, and metal-archives
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Now I'm back cause Obama.
^You do realise a mod made this right?

Or are you just kidding?
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by tarem
*reported*

really dumb tread!

really, who needs this... we have the recommendation thread allready, and metal-archives

LOL. You smart man, no?

In regards to the thread, this task seems frickin' huge. I reckon it could be done, but it would take a huge amount of time to do it right. Who has that amount of time on their hands?
WHY DID I BECOME A HOBO!?

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)
Quote by Dyer's Eve

But a full list?

Exactly. I say do the essentials, like top 10-25 of each genre, and thats it, we all have the rec thread, thats how I discovered 85% of what I listen to now.
Just 5 bands per genre. I'll start :

BLACK METAL :
Emperor : link to myspace page = Emperor
immortal : link to myspace page = Immortal
Dark Funeral : Link To myspace page = Dark Funeral
Drudkh : link to myspace page = Drudkh
Dimmu Borgir : link to myspace = Dimmu Borgir

DEATH METAL (including Tech death meta and melodic deathl)
Nile : link to myspace = Nile
Quo Vadis : link to myspace = Quo Vadis
Cryptopsy : link to myspace = Cryptopsy
Deicide :link to myspace = Deicide
Cannibal Corpse :link to myspace page =Cannibal Corpse

POWER METAL
Rhapsody (of fire):link to myspace page = Rhapsody(of fire)
Helloween : link to myspace page =Helloween
hammerfall :link to myspace page = hammerfall
Firewind :link to myspace page = Firewind
iced earth :link to myspace page = iced Earth

I'll finish this until tomorow. this is just the start, if you dont want to continue this thread just tell me and I'll stop the procedures.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Ever heard of metal archives? They've already done the work for us...

EDIT - and I'm also retarded because that's already been said twice in this thread. I need to start reading the whole thing before I reply...
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
Quote by Dyer's Eve
^You do realise a mod made this right?

Or are you just kidding?

I'm kidding of course...
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Now I'm back cause Obama.
this is not just a metal thing (everyone saying we have metal archives), it is supposed to be for all genres and be a guide, and where they should post about them, maybe it'll get less non-metal posts in the metal forum
My sig is better than yours
It sounds like a cool idea, but that's a huge task. I personally think it'd be cool to have profiles...similar to the ones on the "Genre-defiant" bands in the Recommendations thread, like Opeth and Atheist. That makes it an even bigger task, but a gigantic list of bands with two paragraphs each would be pretty cool.

When you consider the vast number of metal regs, and ask them to do 5-10 each, its not such a ridiculous idea though, considering many would probably do more, just for the fun of it.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
I think the rec thread would make a good list, of course far from anything complete, but all those bands and the thread are worthy of representing metal.
And if there is to be named only band it's probably gonna be Opeth anyways.
In all honesty i believe it will probably be a waste of time and noobs wouldn't use it anyways?

Just make a sticky with the metal archives link.
So what is the exact purpose of this? Is it to be posted in the main B&A forum?

It seems like a lot of work for something that most n00bs probably won't even glance past. It probably wont help our cause of trying to keep this place in the order we want it either.
LAMMERGEIER
Quote by Dyer's Eve
So what is the exact purpose of this? Is it to be posted in the main B&A forum?

It seems like a lot of work for something that most n00bs probably won't even glance past. It probably wont help our cause of trying to keep this place in the order we want it either.

If we present it properly it would be a very interesting thing for the noobs and for the veterans to see constantly for ideas and recs.It needs a lot of work and I am in.
We already have metal-archives.com for this.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
Quote by Snyper
this is not just a metal thing (everyone saying we have metal archives), it is supposed to be for all genres and be a guide, and where they should post about them, maybe it'll get less non-metal posts in the metal forum

Is it going to be posted in the main B&A forum, or in the metal forum, or both?

There's no point for one of these in the metal forum, since we have the recommendation thread (which is the same thing with more uses). If it's going to be in the main B&A forum as well, then we have the list pretty much already made.
B&A...the idea is not just for metal
My sig is better than yours
will this happen ? I'm willing to help out for metal stuff.
I guess i'm in, so what, does every post have a section on a band?
LAMMERGEIER
We might as well just copy and paste the rec thread, it's been pretty much all covered there.

If it is decided that the forum will do something completely different, I would gladly help.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
^It's going to be multiple threads from what I gathered. One for each genre. I'm presuming they want us to contribute to the Metal thread.

Like an in-depth rec. thread I guess.
LAMMERGEIER
I don't know what I'm signing up for, but I'm in.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
I don't know what I'm signing up for, but I'm in.

-George Bush, when being asked by his advisors if the USA should go to war with Iraq.
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
Quote by Metal Matt
-George Bush, when being asked by his advisors if the USA should go to war with Iraq.

Touche, my friend.

Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
um, pretty pointless imo. if you want to, be my guest, but i really don't see the benefit of this.

why don't we just sticky every topic ever so there's nothing to post about?
Read my post. Not this.
Quote by Contraband
How about we just have a compilation of the GOOD bands.

We've got the rec thread for that lol.
roar
Quote by Slayer224
We've got the rec thread for that lol.

Yea, so there's absolutely no point in this. It'd be a waste of time I think.
I've found Jesus
I'll take it upon myself to write up our submission.

On behalf of the metal forum, we're fucking lazy.

www.metal-archives.com

That way every wins on this otherwise stupid and irrational idea.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Nah, even though I get the idea that it's not about metal, but about many types of music, it's quite useless to do it for the metal forum.

What should really be done though is the same thing i did for the thrash thread...put up a link for people to listen to the band, if not recommendations just suck.
So if you improve the Rec thread, than you could use it in the way that Kyle guy wants.

If not, this is seriously pointless caus you'll never beat Metal Archives. Thing that would be best is to work WITH metal-archives to improve their database.
I'm entitled to double post, so fück off!!!
Embarassing Fact About Me #1: I didn't even know there WAS a "Bands & Artists" Forum until about a year ago. And since I was too stupid to scroll down and discover it, imagine how many n00bs will wander about without ever seeing this potential list.

Just something to consider. I think the Metal forum's Rec.Thread list is good enough. Besides that, if this is mainly just to filter out all the occasional Trivium/Atreyu/insert-other-metalcore-band-here threads in this forum, those are probably an eternal curse that will never be repelled even if this list is compiled.
There's a thread here that CLEARLY states not to post certain bands and we get those like every other day. Listing every band is virtually impossible and I doubt it will help anything. The rec thread and the what not to post thread is all we need. I'm up for simply adding audio links to the rec thread but is that even necessary? I mean I thought people had to be a certain age to be able to use this site, they can find these bands on their own ^_^
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Last edited by Gman400 at Jan 9, 2007,
Page 1 of 2