Page 1 of 2
My step son used to play his guitar a Hell of a lot but all of a sudden he's just stopped and if me and his mother even ask him why it gets him in a mood and then he won't talk to us, i play myself but i can't seem to encourage him to start back up again and it bothers me more than id like coz he was very good at it.

Any suggestions you guys?
Get him a tab book of his favourite band and ask him to show you how to play it?
Terms and Conditions apply.
Beat him up with a flaming baseball bat and tell him you'll do it again if he doesn't play For the Love of God in it's entirety in a week. That'll teach the bastard.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by ar73m
Beat him up with a flaming baseball bat and tell him you'll do it again if he doesn't play For the Love of God in it's entirety in a week. That'll teach the bastard.

No no. The situation isn't the same. The step-son would have to ask to be hit with the bat.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Quote by espltdtosh
My step son used to play his guitar a Hell of a lot but all of a sudden he's just stopped and if me and his mother even ask him why it gets him in a mood and then he won't talk to us, i play myself but i can't seem to encourage him to start back up again and it bothers me more than id like coz he was very good at it.

Any suggestions you guys?

What age is he? Maybe, he just needs to come back to it later.
WHY DID I BECOME A HOBO!?

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)
Quote by cagnius
Get him a tab book of his favourite band and ask him to show you how to play it?

Thats 1 good idea any more?
Quote by monkey of doom
What age is he? Maybe, he just needs to come back to it later.

He's 14 and he was really good which makes it worse.
Ask him if he wants to jam with you for a good laugh or something?
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Don't try to force him. There's no point in pushing someone in a hobby. Even if he's good at it, he may not enjoy it. You can be subtle about it - play around him, ask him to play with you, etc. - but trying to directly coerce him into playing probably won't work.
Hi, I'm Peter
Let him take a hiatus from the instrument, maybe he'll come back. How long has it been going on?
dude maybe he just wants a break

14 year olds are rather immature, i used to be one - he probably wants to go hang with his mates or some girl, or play video games for a bit

he'll come back soon
If all else fails, you can buy him some new guitar thing, then he will feel compelled to use it, so he doesnt feel guitly, and maybe start up again?
I've had a break from guitar for about a month now, I blame christmas and family, and myself a little...
yo.

I BELIEVE
Maybe he's frustrated with it. I know for a while, I didn't play as much cause there were so many people around me that could play better than me and they hadn't been playing nearly as long as me. Then I realised that I didn't give a damn and I missed my baby...so I'm just for letting him be for a little while and then just kinda see how it goes.
Quote by t_heff
10 points to anyone who can come up with a good way to mock jesus
buy him a really nice guitar he really wanted when he wanted to play
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Quote by espltdtosh
He's 14 and he was really good which makes it worse.

Just give him a bit of space. If he truly enjoys it, he'll come back to it. I wouldn't take it so hard that he stopped playing, because it's his decision in the end.
WHY DID I BECOME A HOBO!?

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)
perhaps he's UG and is one of the people who posted

geez you're 28 and your step-son's 14
My Spanish Hearts
Ya, i kinda quit lessons just because my pa didn't want me to

don't force it
i can't find my dining sock
His excuse is that he doesn't like his guitar anymore, but the 1 he wants now is real expensive, its the 1 that 1 of the guitarists out of slipknot plays, i think its called a flat top tellycaster and the chances of him gettin 1 of those is zero.
Quote by rx_eb

And that means when he was 14, his step son was born. Say if she had him at 23, she's like 37.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
Quote by rx_eb

Yeh and! ur point is?
Quote by SavageNights
And that means when he was 14, his step son was born. Say if she had him at 23, she's like 37.

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Quote by espltdtosh
His excuse is that he doesn't like his guitar anymore, but the 1 he wants now is real expensive, its the 1 that 1 of the guitarists out of slipknot plays, i think its called a flat top tellycaster and the chances of him gettin 1 of those is zero.

well just buy him a telecaster of some sort or if he is a slipknot fan get him a bc rich warlock
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Quote by ar73m

and this made me ****ing laugh
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Quote by ar73m

Get a ****ing grip ur lives must be pretty sad if that sort of thing shock's you, get back to the point of the thread you idiot.
just ask him if he wants to jam or something... this is just a suggestion but maybe ask him if he wants some new gear? maybe to boost his mind that he can play more.
Quote by Gitter_Wizard
If all else fails, you can buy him some new guitar thing, then he will feel compelled to use it, so he doesnt feel guitly, and maybe start up again?

Good thinkin Wizard thanx.
Quote by metallica_death
well just buy him a telecaster of some sort or if he is a slipknot fan get him a bc rich warlock

your an idiot,

i stopped playing when i was 13ish and i picked it back up at 17, just don't force him to play
Quote by espltdtosh
Get a ****ing grip ur lives must be pretty sad if that sort of thing shock's you, get back to the point of the thread you idiot.

It is part of the topic.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
what guitar does he have now? my very first guitar was REALY crapy and i stopped for like a month cause it sounded like nails scratching on a blackboard, all i realy wanted was a guitar that had a "Normal" Factor, whitch sounded a bit like some of the gutairs i heard in bands that r my fav's
.....•••••áñÐ ÝÔÜ Łhòûghł Wê w飀 Ð탃rëñ†•••••.....
Buy him a Joe Satriani DVD. If that isn't inspiring enough to make you pick up your guitar, I don't know what is.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Dr Grinwraith
your an idiot,

i stopped playing when i was 13ish and i picked it back up at 17, just don't force him to play

Thanks for gettin back to the point but ur still an arse for being shocked at something so trivial as an age gap " ****ing hell".
Quote by Yawdim
what guitar does he have now? my very first guitar was REALY crapy and i stopped for like a month cause it sounded like nails scratching on a blackboard, all i realy wanted was a guitar that had a "Normal" Factor, whitch sounded a bit like some of the gutairs i heard in bands that r my fav's

He has a Epiphone les paul standard, its a good guitar but its a bit battred coz he dont look after his stuff.
Maybe he's bored of playing the same stuff. Find out if he wants to join a band and help him do that.

Or beat him.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Maybe he's bored of playing the same stuff. Find out if he wants to join a band and help him do that.

Or beat him.

He would join a band i know he would but the other lads he hangs out with can't find a drummer to save their lives.
Quote by espltdtosh

Wow, insecure anyone? My life is perfectly fine, you're the one bursting with insults because of an posted by a random person in the Internet, daddy. And guess what, there's absolutely nothing you can do to make me 'get back to the point' - just as there isn't anything you can do to get your kid back into playing guitar if he doesn't feel like doing it.

OMGZ UR A 28 YR OLD W/ A 14 YR OLD STEPCHILD

I'm such a jerk...

He has a Epiphone les paul standard, its a good guitar but its a bit battred coz he dont look after his stuff.

Ah, yer their good, i have no idea ay, what kinda amp? how many watts?
.....•••••áñÐ ÝÔÜ Łhòûghł Wê w飀 Ð탃rëñ†•••••.....
Quote by SavageNights
It is part of the topic.

Since when has that had anything to do with what im talking about you twat? eh.
Quote by espltdtosh
Since when has that had anything to do with what im talking about you twat? eh.

Yes daddy, keep calling everyone in the thread names - it'll make people like you more, fo' sure.

loser.

omg ar73m is such a ****ing funny kid
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Page 1 of 2