So how much power does a comuter use including the screen in one year if its on 24/7?
Ive seen that my powersupply can use up to 300W.
And my screen is suposed to use 368W, couse 230V * 1,6A = 368W.
And i thougth that was a little to much.

Im not sure about these calculations but it would be like this if im right:
668W * 24hours * 365days = 5851680Wh ~ 5851,680kWh ~ 5,85MWh i a year

And aint that just too much???
Does it realy use that much power?
Honestly, cause usually you don't think about it, but a computer uses a lot of energy when you think about it. And lights don't really use that much. ****in air conditioners tho.....those use the most in most people's houses..
Quote by t_heff
10 points to anyone who can come up with a good way to mock jesus
It's not so much compared to other electrical items in the house. Like a fridge which is actually on 24/7 and is in the kWh range.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
that's not how you count. the power supply might be able to handle 300watt but a modern screen uses like 25watt when used i think. and then you have sound on maybe... and besides, the power supply dosen't use all 300watt all the time. It just does if it needs to. it gives all the power the computer needs to run properly
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Last edited by backtothe70s at Jan 9, 2007,
Power Supplies can use more than their wattage rating because some (or a lot depending on it's efficiency) is lost as heat.

What kind of screen do you have?
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Do you pay the bills? Cuz if not I don't think you need to worry that much.

I did last year. But now i pay more rent and my house owner pays the bill and complain about how much i use, but its 3 appartments here, but he blames me.
A PC uses a LOT less power than the nominal wattage of the power supply is. I can't be bothered looking it up for you, you can just google for it yourself - but depending on the running mode, a PC can take less than a lightbulb does. Basically, the harder you 'push' it, the more PC it'll take - ie if you have quad harddrives running, a DVD being burned in background, an intense graphics app rendering - you'll be consuming a lot more power than if you're just browsing UG. But all in all, the PC itself takes less power than a CRT display (unsure about LCD/TFT power consumption), and that's less than a normal TV set.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by backtothe70s
and besides, the power supply dosen't use all 300watt all the time. It just does if it needs to. it gives all the power the computer needs to run properly

Yeah i know that, but since i couldent find out how much it actualy used i just used the max power useage in my calculations.
Quote by Hyperen
What kind of screen do you have?

not sure, but i think its caled CRT.
Its those big old ones, 19"
Quote by psychotim
not sure, but i think its caled CRT.
Its those big old ones, 19"

CRT is the type of monitor. As opposed to a TFT flat screen.
My computer has a 400W power supply.

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
CRT is the type of monitor. As opposed to a TFT flat screen.

I know CRT means something Ray Tube, and TFT means Thin Film Transistor.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
Last edited by SavageNights at Jan 9, 2007,
cathode ray tube
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by SavageNights
My computer has a 400W power supply.

480 for me^^ beat that
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
pfft. 400 here

**** you all with your SLI, Crossfire and sata RAID arrays.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
even when a normal computer is on the amount of power it uses varies greatly depending on what its doing.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
my computer constantly download stuff via uTorrent when its on, other then that, im on UG, talking with people on MSN, runing GP5, playing music and watching movies.